• The KillerFrogs

Texas and OU….

Wexahu

why give your conference an extra 5 guaranteed losses a year? makes zero sense.
Look at it from a conference view.- not just TCU.
With 8 conference games, TCU and Texas are both bowl eligible. Schedule 4 patsies in the OOC for 4 guaranteed wins. Once a program gets good enough, by all means schedule a tougher opponent in the OOC..but don't take guaranteed conference losses.

If ISU was in a different division than OU and OKlite and tehy didn't play each other this year, OK lite is 12-0 right and in the invitationals without questions, not in 5th place hoping to get in after beating Baylor. I would add - not related, I think its -3 oklite and that's free money. no way baylor covers that.
I’m just not one that thinks you should schedule as easy as possible to pad your record. Bowl eligibility isn’t that big a deal to me. In fact it’s kind of meaningless. I like conference games. I like competitive games. That’s it.

gofor2

I’m just not one that thinks you should schedule as easy as possible to pad your record. Bowl eligibility isn’t that big a deal to me. In fact it’s kind of meaningless. I like conference games. I like competitive games. That’s it.
Bowl eligibility in itself isn't the end goal, its a stepping stone. Bowl eligibility means more practices and coaches always want that. usually means more exposure, more press, sometimes more money, possible better recruiting pull.

Besides I think you missed part of my post. OKlite could very well be 12-0 right now with an 8 game schedule if ISU wasn't on their list. I will never agree with a position that means one of our teams gets left out of the invitationals because we have 9 conference games and not 8

gofor2

I would add, in a perfect world all conferences would be 10 teams, with a round robin and a real playoff system as I do like the round robin style as you play everyone in your conference. Unfortunately those extra losses puts the Big12 at a large disadvantage as already described.

Wexahu

Bowl eligibility in itself isn't the end goal, its a stepping stone. Bowl eligibility means more practices and coaches always want that. usually means more exposure, more press, sometimes more money, possible better recruiting pull.

Besides I think you missed part of my post. OKlite could very well be 12-0 right now with an 8 game schedule if ISU wasn't on their list. I will never agree with a position that means one of our teams gets left out of the invitationals because we have 9 conference games and not 8
I didn’t miss anything. I just don’t agree with you. The Big 10 and PAC 12 play nine league games. So should the Big 12. So should everyone IMO. There are already enough boring, uncompetitive games in college football, we don’t need more of them. The best part about the game is league rivalries (and high profile OOC games), not bowl games or the CFP. Bowl games are pretty much a joke anyway.

Bottom line, I don’t want to give up a game against a league opponent every year in exchange for very slightly increasing the odds of making a CFP. Not worth it IMO.

tcuball3

Ticket Exchange Pass
I didn’t miss anything. I just don’t agree with you. The Big 10 and PAC 12 play nine league games. So should the Big 12. So should everyone IMO. There are already enough boring, uncompetitive games in college football, we don’t need more of them. The best part about the game is league rivalries (and high profile OOC games), not bowl games or the CFP. Bowl games are pretty much a joke anyway.

Bottom line, I don’t want to give up a game against a league opponent every year in exchange for very slightly increasing the odds of making a CFP. Not worth it IMO.
Agreed, big time home conference games over playing 1 less each year is to totally worth the risk to the overall record. Those games are what P5 college football is all about and much better for the fan/season ticket holder.

gofor2

II don’t want to give up a game against a league opponent every year in exchange for very slightly increasing the odds of making a CFP. Not worth it IMO.
Its not just a slightly increased odd of making the mnc, its a better everything. Will these benefits be immediate? no, not all. But we need to play the long game.
-more bowl games for the conference
-better bowl placements, due to better records
-more revenue
-more practice time with those bowl games
-more tv exposure
And then any benefits that arise from those above points, such as better recruits, better TV rating pulls, better TV deals because the conference does better. There is a lot tied into it.

No way we should be playing 9 conference games while the SEC plays 8.

gofor2

If all the power 5 conferences play eight conference games, then fine. If they all play nine conference games, then fine. But don't let the SEC get away with only playing 8 when everyone else is playing 9. Just guaranteed five more losses every year.
That and this november pansy game the SEC plays. We need to do that too. Its basically a bye week / scrimmage week.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
I wonder how long some of these lesser bowls can hang in there, financially. It would seem that any economic downturn would knock a few of them off the wagon.

Wexahu

Its not just a slightly increased odd of making the mnc, its a better everything. Will these benefits be immediate? no, not all. But we need to play the long game.
-more bowl games for the conference
-better bowl placements, due to better records
-more revenue
-more practice time with those bowl games
-more tv exposure
And then any benefits that arise from those above points, such as better recruits, better TV rating pulls, better TV deals because the conference does better. There is a lot tied into it.

No way we should be playing 9 conference games while the SEC plays 8.
The Big 10 and Pac 12 play 9 too.

I guess we should maybe play 7, that would be that much better. Then we could schedule a couple more horrible automatic win games which excite no one, but then we can get excited about playing in the Russell Athletic Bowl (which nobody is going to care about) instead of the Cheez-It Bowl (which nobody will care about).

Just because another conference does it wrong doesn't mean we should.

froginmn

There are 1000 things that could happen between today and summer 2025... Probably one or a few of those paths ends up with TX and OU staying. CFP and a few TV rights negotiations have been "interesting" the past few months.

kramer-seinfeld.gif

Long Time Lurker

There are 1000 things that could happen between today and summer 2025... Probably one or a few of those paths ends up with TX and OU staying. CFP and a few TV rights negotiations have been "interesting" the past few months.
My prognostication, If they are here when we expand, they will be more likely to stick around. And…what the hell…if they would have let the expansion happen from the beginning this might not have happened. Idiots!

Virginia Frog

No, bye to Texas, forever and ever, Amen. Goodbye delConte and his sort. Let UT & A&M do their Thksgvg circle-jerk until the end of time. and 6-6 records becoming their norm.

OU can stay.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I bet! Inflation, instability, streaming... "Lions, tigers, and bears! Oh, my!"