• The KillerFrogs

Z Evans in the portal….

Mean Purple

Not sure how that proved my statement wrong, which was that big time college football has been a de-facto minor league for decades, but I think it's pretty obvious which one is more popular.
can't really disagree that the NFL has a sweet deal going by letting college be their minor league.

Wexahu

You're still talking specifics, but the overall message hasn't changed. You all are lamenting College Football "heading toward minor league sports", when it's been full on U-18 Minor League sports for at least 25 years and it's popularity has exploded during that time period. The only difference now is they used to benefit from restrictions on labor movement and compensation due to a few different factors. Now that's changing. Other things will too, and college football will march on, same as it has been for previous decades.
We'll see.

I guess if the NFL decided to do away with a salary cap and multi-year contracts it'd just keep humming along like it has for decades. I disagree. I think it would eventually fail, or become far less popular. And I think college football will too if they keep going further down this road.

HFrog1999

We'll see.

I guess if the NFL decided to do away with a salary cap and multi-year contracts it'd just keep humming along like it has for decades. I disagree. I think it would eventually fail, or become far less popular. And I think college football will too if they keep going further down this road.

Yeah, they’re destroying the things that make CFB interesting and unique. Mainly traditional rivalries and a shared connection to the schools.

Zubaz

We'll see.

That's the joy of predicting the eventual collapse of anything: You're either right or you'll die before you're proven wrong.

froginaustin

We'll see.

History may be on your side of the argument. Major league baseball certainly has multi-year contracts, but as I understand it there is nothing that is an effective salary cap, and the Yankees and a few others can outbid most of the league for the players they think are the very best.

Remember when big league baseball was by far the most popular spectator team-sport in the country? Both of my late grandfathers certainly remembered right up to their respective dying days.

Zubaz

So you think everything will keep humming right along if they continue on this path?
I don't think it's so fundamentally unfixable that it will kill college football, no. Might need some adjustments after a few years, what those are who knows.

Wexahu

History may be on your side of the argument. Major league baseball certainly has multi-year contracts, but as I understand it there is nothing that is an effective salary cap, and the Yankees and a few others can outbid most of the league for the players they think are the very best.

Remember when big league baseball was by far the most popular spectator team-sport in the country? Both of my late grandfathers certainly remembered right up to their respective dying days.
There has never been a successful team sports league (that I know of at least) that didn't have either a salary cap, a player draft, or that didn't bind players to teams via multi-year contracts. I don't think any league was ever dumb enough to try it, because the thought of that working is laughable. Even pro sports player unions understand this.

Most leagues have a combination of all three. All the major sports leagues here do. Imagine an NFL with no draft, one year contracts, and almost total free agency. That's basically what we have today in college football. The only limits on anything are 85-man rosters and you can "only" transfer once before graduation. That's it.

We're only beginning to find out how ridiculous it is IMO.

Putt4Purple

He was injured half the time here and too tired for the second half. Wherever he lands he won't make it to the NFL like he thinks. Unless you show yourself as a workhorse then he will be another nobody. Oh. Well.

Last edited:

froginmn

I'm thinking that Sonny worked with Zach to get this rumor out there and will have Zach later announce that he's staying.

No I'm not serious, but if he did that he'd earn the SMFD moniker.

Frogs1983

We'll see.

NFL would become like MLB .Major market teams would be able to pay all the top talent while smaller market teams would go by the wayside. Smartest thing Pete Rozelle ever did while Commissioner of NFL in 60's was get the teams Owners to agree to share the pot equally.

TRF51

It’s funny that posters are acting like he wasn’t that good and will end up at a bottom tier program. Regardless of opinions on character/attitude etc. He is an nfl caliber runner who led ncaa in career ypc and we criminally underused him. We don’t deserve him. Often unexplainably going full drives without him ever seeing the field while he’s in the middle of a 100 yard rushing performance.

We made a sub par coaching move and I don’t blame him at all for not waiting to see what a QB focused coach with a losing record will bring to the table.

I’m glad he will end up somewhere that will use him properly, excited to see him play somewhere else, going to have a monster season.

It is great to hear from Zach’s dad. Zach is a talented player but he is overrated with all of the hype around him. Not much of a drop off, if at all with Miller. Miller actually showed heart and played hurt. Zach didn’t have that big of an impact on this years team, he had like 2-3 good games and tapped out after 16 carries. Almost wasn’t with the distraction.

Frog92

Kendre Miller is an absolute stud. Hope he gets healthy and comes back strong as our first team RB. Go Frogs!
Assuming he and Foster healthy - plus whatever Dykes and Co can recruit / pick up from the portal - we will be fine. Love ZE's talent and wish he would return, but only if he is all in for next year. If not, so long as he doesn't surface in conference or at A&M, then wish him the best.