• The KillerFrogs

Larry Brown Sports: 'Stay at TCU, Sonny'

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Larry Brown Sports: Could Sonny Dykes ditch TCU for Oklahoma?

sonny-dykes-768x486.jpg

by Larry Brown

Oklahoma is scrambling for a head coach after losing Lincoln Riley to USC. Numerous names have been mentioned as potential candidates for the Sooners job, including Mark Stoops and Josh Heupel. But one reporter added another name to the mix: Sonny Dykes.

Dykes just completed his fifth season at SMU and went 8-4 (he’s 30-18 overall at SMU). He was an extremely hot candidate following a 7-0 start to the season, which led Texas Tech and TCU to compete for him. TCU won out, and Dykes is set to be introduced as the Horned Frogs’ head coach on Tuesday.

Read more at https://larrybrownsports.com/college-football/sonny-dykes-ditch-leave-tcu-oklahoma/587911

Palliative Care

I read less into this than that. OU is just looking at its options and putting out feelers. They not in a position to determine yet who they really want. I am not saying that they are looking at Patterson but who knows where they will go.

FrogCop19

The fact that only one "journalist" mentioned Sonny's name is telling on many levels:

1. Muck pulls this stuff out of his butt for clicks.
2. Muck then flings said stuff against the wall like a rabid chimp in heat to see who buys his schlock.
3. Even other writers think Muck is an idiot.

Limp Lizard

Muck is hoping for anything that hurts TCU. Why can't some other paper offer him a job? Actually, we all know the answer to that.

Love to see him trying that crap against the local team in the local paper in, say, Columbus or Tallahassee. Might not survive...literally...the first year.

Limey Frog

This whole thing is ridiculous. Even in a distorted, cash-soaked, unprincipled, testosterone-fueled, mercenary jungle of d*ck-swinging egomaniacs like college football coaching, people don't sign multi-million dollar contracts then brake them before they're even publicly announced. Sonny isn't going to do that, and if he is the kind of person who would, TCU would be better rid of him sooner (*cough cough*) than later.

Relic

Muck needs eyeballs to keep his job. He can: 1. dig deep, do research, develop credible leads, break news-worthy stories...or 2: just make stuff up to serve to a population that is used to reading rampant speculations on all the various social media platforms, and tends to believe them all.

In a previous age, his writing would have fit nicely into MAD magazine...

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
For those that weren't convinced before, notice how it was Sonny Dykes' name that came up at OU and not Patterson?...
Actually if you look at the media reports from Tulsa and OKC media, I couldn’t find a single mention of Sonny Dykes being considered, I did see one GP mention-as coordinato.

netty2424

I read less into this than that. OU is just looking at its options and putting out feelers. They not in a position to determine yet who they really want. I am not saying that they are looking at Patterson but who knows where they will go.
Not disagreeing, but they better make some decisions in a hurry. Lots of openings right now and it will be a race to get guys in place immediately.

froginaustin

Muck needs eyeballs to keep his job. He can: 1. dig deep, do research, develop credible leads, break news-worthy stories...or 2: just make stuff up to serve to a population that is used to reading rampant speculations on all the various social media platforms, and tends to believe them all.

In a previous age, his writing would have fit nicely into MAD magazine...

MAD had standards that Muck can't touch. Not only was their writing (sometimes) witty, MAD writers (and editors, I suppose) knew about stuff like grammar and sentence-paragraph structure. Basic stuff for pro writers including journalists, at least back then.

Mean Purple

For those that weren't convinced before, notice how it was Sonny Dykes' name that came up at OU and not Patterson?...
I would not put too much into this. It's like with Engel's article. After you read through the article, it is obvious Engel over advertised to get view. ( I know, what's new?)
A. We don't know who all they have talked to. OU is a program that always has a list ready.
B. We don't know what the extent of any conversation was. Dykes agent could have reached out first. Muck does not have anything that can be confirmed.

OU is one of the most storied programs in college football. The top of their list is way bigger than what's in that article.

4 Oaks Frog

I would never expect Patterson’s name to come up for that job. Likewise, Sonny Dykes name isn’t likely. Remember, just because a reporter said it doesn’t make it so. Dykes will be announced as TCU’s coach tomorrow…

GO FROGS!
Welcome SMFD!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and fornicate baylor!!

mwe2187

The fact that only one "journalist" mentioned Sonny's name is telling on many levels:

1. Muck pulls this stuff out of his butt for clicks.
2. Muck then flings said stuff against the wall like a rabid chimp in heat to see who buys his schlock.
3. Even other writers think Muck is an idiot.

Even The Ticket called Muck out today. For being the "beat" writer, or at least one of, he openly dislikes TCU and does everything he can to talk about it negatively.

Virginia Frog

Being fair, there's a little bit of age discrimination in regard to GP in a hire for a top -tier HC position.

GP needs, for his sake, to sit a season or two - get his head and life flowing again - and THEN return for a final 5-7 year run (if that is what he WANTS.) Otherwise (from someone who believed he'd NEVER retire) life is too short - go out and have some fun! The GP era is over, good things are still out there for all concerned.

Virginia Frog

Even The Ticket called Muck out today. For being the "beat" writer, or at least one of, he openly dislikes TCU and does everything he can to talk about it negatively.
Muck really as stepped in it this time. I see now that the guy has a real hard TCU dislike that can't be quenched.

Can TCU divorce him?

Can some guys with crooked noses pay him a visit?

Hey a portal for failing beat writers. Maybe he can cover University of North Texas or SMU (even SMU doesn't deserve THAT!)

HToady

Haha. So dumb anyone would pick up an an Engle article.
OU is not the least bit interested in Dykes. The want Urban Meyer, or the Lane train.