• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

Sangria Wine

Serious question: What’s a “super local” kid? Are you saying that any kid who lives within 100 miles or so is automatically debarred?

I suppose we shall see how another approach works bc SD has made staying near to home a selling point for regional athletes
Close enough to conveniently hang out with old high school buddies at any old random time. Causes a bunch of cling ons that are huge distractions to player development and team building.

Eight

Serious question: What’s a “super local” kid? Are you saying that any kid who lives within 100 miles or so is automatically debarred?

I suppose we shall see how another approach works bc SD has made staying near to home a selling point for regional athletes

usc won all those titles under pete going back east to recruit and not recruiting in socal, ohio doesn't produce any talent and not like michigan has got any talent out of detroit or nd talent in chicago.

miami avoid the same trap and can you imagine how bad lsu would be if they only recruited within 100 mile radius of their campus

Eight

Heard a group of 6A coaches in the Austin area expressing the same, subsequently we’ve not pulled many players from this area, SD is much more relational so hoping he can open some doors

this, heard it from friends in the houston area as well.

mentioned it before, but while jimbo and the texas coach of the week were go out of their staffs way to make sure high school coaches KNEW they were welcome on the respective campuses some felt they were being an imposition to gary and the tcu program

Eight

Meh. Everybody always talks this up, but historically players don’t attend schools in very close proximity to their homes for a variety of reasons. And coaches have generally had lots of bad experiences when they do pull the hyper local players. There are tons of stories about the local kid’s old high school friends hanging around too much for anyone’s best interest when it does happen. Many of these kids thrive in large part because they get uprooted and given a chance to establish themselves in a brand new environment. Brings out the best in most people to get a fresh start on their own at that age.

if you win and actually try to build relationships with the local coaches they will come and do we really need to start the list of programs that have had great success with kids within 100 miles of their campus?

Frozen Frog

I questioned the news earlier this week or last week. It is all blending together! This is the most anti-climactic announcement ever. It is a very good hire. I think it definitely says where Dykes views the TCU job. I think there are about to be a lot of schools that wish they had Dykes in about 2 weeks. I also think is a good bridge hire where it keeps some of the positivity of the old guard around. I would bet Dykes and Patterson have spoken about the job multiple times.

Also of note is that SMU is hiring Rhett Lashlee. I don't know what kind of head coach he will be, but he is a good OC. SMU fans should be pretty excited about him.

Eight

For me, there is a line between disparaging Gary's career vs speaking to the realities of where the program is right now. It's impossible to separate Gary from what has taken place the last 4 years to get us to where we are now. The blame obviously isn't 100% with him but he was the one in charge.

I try to walk the line between acknowledging the realities of the present without tearing down the man and all of his past accomplishments. I think that's what most fans try to do as well but it is a bit of a fine line.

you would be a really solid poster if we could only get you past your bad breakfast food choices

Eight

Look around and notice how it’s true at most major programs. You’ll see very few super local kids on most rosters. This has been the case for a long time and most high school coaches worth their salt know it’s true. Kids usually need some separation to grow and better themselves. Some kids need it way more than others.

yes, that strategy killed lsu

Frozen Frog

I know everyone wanted the splashy name. Dykes probably isn't it, but who else was willing to take the TCU job? I think TCU hired the best available for them, and if this college coaching train is going to continue at its current rate this season there are going to be some really disappointed fans!

CountryFrog

I questioned the news earlier this week or last week. It is all blending together! This is the most anti-climactic announcement ever. It is a very good hire. I think it definitely says where Dykes views the TCU job. I think there are about to be a lot of schools that wish they had Dykes in about 2 weeks. I also think is a good bridge hire where it keeps some of the positivity of the old guard around. I would bet Dykes and Patterson have spoken about the job multiple times.

Also of note is that SMU is hiring Rhett Lashlee. I don't know what kind of head coach he will be, but he is a good OC. SMU fans should be pretty excited about him.
According to some posters here, SMU actually upgraded their staff by getting rid of a mediocre guy and replacing him with a coordinator who has no head coaching experience.

Last edited: