• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

Paint It Purple

I went on there once a couple years back and that place is brutal. It’s the equivalent of the comment section of an ESPN article or a YouTube video.

I feel like it’s the kind of people who go to the bar at Chili’s or Applebee’s for a night out
Out of desperation, I once watched a TCU/Texas game at a Chili's bar. Awful experience. The biggest dooshes there were a married couple who happened to be TCU professors

TRF51

I'm not sure I even want to comment on the prospect of using a RACI as the tool to drive organizational change.

The change management process is unfolding before our eyes. The change management process is being communicated via message boards and twitter, and not by the TCU administration. This change affects the entire TCU community. JD and VB failed to set this community up for the change. For example, in the middle of the season, LHCGMFP is shown the door. There is zero prior communication that changes were needed. A year or two ago, there could have been some public communication by JD that TCU is expecting to compete for B12 titles and is making adjustments to meet that goal. Instead, NADA.

Fast forward to today. The single follow-up communication is that we have not made an offer. There is no public indication that TCU had anyone in mind other than Sonny Dykes, and the message boards are exploding with "Dykes to TCU". That's not "managing the message" . How is the TCU community responding? Unfavorably. Based on the lack of communication by TCU, it appears that TCU is kicking out a legend to make way for a third or fourth choice hire. The KF.c response has been that the TCU fans on Twitter and on Facebook are idiots. The TCU administration has the opportunity to plan the next round of communications to better help setup the need for change, explain the search process, and help bring the TCU community on-board with the change. Will they?

I'm personally not enthralled by the process or the potential results or how LHCGMFP was shown the door.
Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

All do respect, how do we know if what people say on message boards is even true? I get we all want to come on here and share information we hear from someone who doesn't really know what is really going on. Do you expect TCU to issue a formal statement on every individual they interview? Do you expect a weekly update like the play off committee gives every Tuesday? I don't remember any other school doing this. I think TCU is doing what they need to do and people are making [ Finebaum ] up to advance their agenda.

Wexahu

I'm not sure I even want to comment on the prospect of using a RACI as the tool to drive organizational change.

The change management process is unfolding before our eyes. The change management process is being communicated via message boards and twitter, and not by the TCU administration. This change affects the entire TCU community. JD and VB failed to set this community up for the change. For example, in the middle of the season, LHCGMFP is shown the door. There is zero prior communication that changes were needed. A year or two ago, there could have been some public communication by JD that TCU is expecting to compete for B12 titles and is making adjustments to meet that goal. Instead, NADA.

Fast forward to today. The single follow-up communication is that we have not made an offer. There is no public indication that TCU had anyone in mind other than Sonny Dykes, and the message boards are exploding with "Dykes to TCU". That's not "managing the message" . How is the TCU community responding? Unfavorably. Based on the lack of communication by TCU, it appears that TCU is kicking out a legend to make way for a third or fourth choice hire. The KF.c response has been that the TCU fans on Twitter and on Facebook are idiots. The TCU administration has the opportunity to plan the next round of communications to better help setup the need for change, explain the search process, and help bring the TCU community on-board with the change. Will they?

I'm personally not enthralled by the process or the potential results or how LHCGMFP was shown the door.
Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.
I think he was about our 10th choice behind Kirby Smart, Ryan Day, Jimbo Fisher, James Franklin, Chris Petersen, Kellen Moore, Sean McVay, Mike Tomlin and Sean Payton.

Planks

Yeah, and most of the posters in that group were ticked off when we fired Patterson too. So, if they're unhappy with hiring Sonny then I'm happy with it.
Yeah the group has always been much more pro-Patterson than the message boards, for a few reasons:

1) Older fans who remember the pre-Patterson days and assume we will go back to decades of irrelevance

2) Average fans often don’t know records off the top of their heads like we message board fans do. They know this season is bad, but they don’t understand that it’s part of a four year trend. They know this season, and they know the big moments from the past (Rose Bowl, Peach Bowl, Alamo Bowl, etc.) but everything in between is hazy to them.

3) Average fans seem to assume that Patterson has been at a talent disadvantage to our opponents. There are so many posts in that FB group along the lines of “GP will go to Texas/Florida/LSU and be unstoppable once he has five star recruits!” They don’t understand that from simply a recruiting rankings standpoint, Patterson has already been at an advantage 10 out of 12 games a year these past few seasons at TCU.

Frozen Frog

It's a solid hire! Anyone thinking otherwise is kidding themselves. Right now there are several jobs open that are better than TCU. LSU and USC still don't have a coach. UF just opened. There is a good chance other jobs will open soon. That paired with the fact there aren't many great candidates is an issue. I know a lot of people are pointing to Dykes record over the last few weeks. It reminds me of countless teams that fail to produce for a coach they think is leaving.

I believe Dykes is the best candidate to turn this thing around quickly. He is familiar with the program, and he can work as a bridge between Patterson and the program moving forward. If TCU can knock off ISU this week that gives the team a few extra weeks of practice and evaluation. Dykes probably won't coach that game, but you bet he will be involved.

This isn't the homerun hire, but it is a good one. Some of you would be upset if we hired Nick Saban. We could be looking for a new coach in a few years. One issue is that means Dykes has overproduced and is winning. The other option is that both Donati and Dykes failed. That probably means we have an opportunity to find someone better. Right now the key is stability.

After UO's loss last week I think the Pac is going to start looking to find something to help its cause. It needs some schools to improve, but it also needs viewers. That also holds true for basketball. There were reports that TCU and UH were close a few months ago, but I have a feeling that is about to change. While others may point to the losses don't lose sight of the fact that both have major airports within 30 miles. It sure is nice when a team can fly commercial rather than charter. Nobody wants there plane tipping over like USC had happen to it.

Tshirt Fan

All do respect, how do we know if what people say on message boards is even true? I get we all want to come on here and share information we hear from someone who doesn't really know what is really going on. Do you expect TCU to issue a formal statement on every individual they interview? Do you expect a weekly update like the play off committee gives every Tuesday? I don't remember any other school doing this. I think TCU is doing what they need to do and people are making [ #2020 ] up to advance their agenda.
TRF51, there is no "agenda" from me.
My post encourages improved communication by TCU, to get ahead of and better manage the message.

We just tossed our legendary coach, and now message boards are claiming the next TCU coach is Sonny Dykes.
Is that effective change management by TCU?

Why did we toss LHCGMFP instead of working with him to make the needed changes?
How many candidates were interviewed?
What are some of the difficulties involved in selecting a new coach?
What are other facts and factors that can be publicly shared, to help people better understand and accept the change?

What is the status today of our coaching search?
If the contract has been signed, why not pull the bandaid and make the announcement?
Every moment that this "deal is done with no public announcement" allows twitter, Facebook, etc... to control the message.

Don't shoot the messenger, make the needed adjustments to improve the outcome for TCU.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
The FB group is pretty cringeworthy. Some really terrible takes. It honestly makes me wonder if the collective football IQ of our fan base is lower than that of other fan bases.

The group seems to also be overall pretty opposed to the decision to get rid of Patterson, so that’s coloring their feelings. Lots of older fans who feel we will instantly go back to pre-Patterson days and go decades without going bowling. Also lots of fans who clearly don’t see the consistent four year decline we’ve been on. I think a lot of the “average” fans know this season is bad, but when it comes to past seasons they know the big moments (Rose Bowl, Peach Bowl, Alamo Bowl, etc.) and everything in else is fuzzy for them.
Lots of SWC PTSD over there

Westsider

Yeah the group has always been much more pro-Patterson than the message boards, for a few reasons:

2) Average fans often don’t know records off the top of their heads like we message board fans do. They know this season is bad, but they don’t understand that it’s part of a four year trend. They know this season, and they know the big moments from the past (Rose Bowl, Peach Bowl, Alamo Bowl, etc.) but everything in between is hazy to them.
This is me. I really never understood that about myself. Thanks.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
The TCU horned frog nation Facebook group is probably the best proxy we have for the thoughts of the “average” fans.

There are a few posts in the last day about Sonny being the guy, so there are probably 100+ comments. 99% of the comments are very negative. The average TCU fans are very unhappy with this hire.

With that being said, winning is all that matters. If Sonny wins games at TCU the fans will quickly come around.
Most of the posts on that page make me wonder if they even watch the games or follow the teams.

Would be a nice situation I imagine. Dykes and his staff (that aren’t committed elsewhere) can start working recruits and GP’s old staff can get the team prepped for the bowl. Maybe I’m wrong, don’t know the rules.
Only concern would be if we could field a team, given the number of guys facing offseason surgeries and those who would probably leave to prep for the draft.

Wexahu

1) Older fans who remember the pre-Patterson days and assume we will go back to decades of irrelevance

3) Average fans seem to assume that Patterson has been at a talent disadvantage to our opponents. There are so many posts in that FB group along the lines of “GP will go to Texas/Florida/LSU and be unstoppable once he has five star recruits!” They don’t understand that from simply a recruiting rankings standpoint, Patterson has already been at an advantage 10 out of 12 games a year these past few seasons at TCU.
I personally don't think he's gonna coach anymore unless he's willing to drop down to G5 or lower. And I'm not sure he's gonna do that.

He's gonna have to change the way he coaches or he's not going to be able to put together a staff.