• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

Pharm Frog

As others have said, the target is a formal announcement on Monday the 29th. This could change, but that’s the working plan. They’ve been working to firm up the terms sheet, that’s now done and there has either been a board meeting or there will be in the near future to inform/approve. I anticipate there will be “SOURCES: SONNY DYKES TO TCU” tweets Saturday evening if not before.

There was some discussion of Sonny coming over sooner, but that appears to be off the table in the final handshake.

If I remember to do it, we can do some story time after the announcement, it’s been an interesting few months since the OU/WV games, and even dating back to winter 2019/2020.

Umm...one more thing while you're at it. Can you call Jeremiah and tell him that there's a sport called volleyball?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
What if there are multiple “Coach Right’s”? Maybe we get one. Maybe we don’t.
There are multiple "Coach Rights." The dude at Kansas is an example: Excellent record in lesser level, learned how to administrate at a bigger program at a higher level, and is getting himself mudded in at a P5 level. I have no idea who has been vetted, interviewed, looked at enviously, etc., by the Search Committee, or contacted in the last 18 months by ADJD. We'll likely never know.

What we're looking at now is the culmination of months of work and skullduggery, methinks. If it's Sonny, then that's fine. There are still a zillion things to get right after The New Guy is ensconced, and that same zillion could go Brilesboobs up.

Moose Stuff

How is he lazy when his recruiting classes are full of 4-star players?

Class National Ranking
2018 14
2019 9
2020 9
2021 12
2022 23
I work with a Florida guy who is deep into that program. He says Mullen takes “stars” with no real method to how they fit together, what the team needs are, or if they’re actually any good. It’s his single biggest complaint. UT has done that for years FWIW.

East Coast

Tier 1

Class National Ranking
2018 14
2019 9
2020 9
2021 12
2022 23
He doesn't do much to recruit. Florida is the #1 destination for the talent pool in Florida, you could blindly make offers to every 4 and 5 star in the state in get half of them without trying too hard.

Wexahu

He's a total asshat and even crazier than Gary. No no no!!
And a few years ago he was one of the biggest fish out there for teams looking for a new coach. Kind of a can’t miss guy. Prediction…..some of this year’s big fish won’t work out like people thought, and vice versa. You just try and get the right guy in the right place at the right time and hope it works out.

Treating this like we “lost” in this round of coaching hires is stupid, because nobody knows how any of these guys are going to pan out.

TRF51

And those are..?

I don't know the man, save from a distance, but he seems the taciturn taskmaster and not given to zaniness or humor. Patterson really wasn't either.

He does not put in a great effort recruiting. If you don’t recruit well at Florida I doubt you would do well here. I think he is a good X and O kinda guy who works well with QBs. Same can be said about Dykes but I think Dykes would recruit better and knows how to use the portal.

Paul in uhh

Class National Ranking
2018 14
2019 9
2020 9
2021 12
2022 23
Florida gets those type of classes anyway. They’re just like aggy or UT or OU or UGA. Doesn’t matter who the coach is, they’re gonna get a lot of 4-stars.

Paul in uhh

There are multiple "Coach Rights." The dude at Kansas is an example: Excellent record in lesser level, learned how to administrate at a bigger program at a higher level, and is getting himself mudded in at a P5 level. I have no idea who has been vetted, interviewed, looked at enviously, etc., by the Search Committee, or contacted in the last 18 months by ADJD. We'll likely never know.

What we're looking at now is the culmination of months of work and skullduggery, methinks. If it's Sonny, then that's fine. There are still a zillion things to get right after The New Guy is ensconced, and that same zillion could go Brilesboobs up.
If we hired a guy from the d3 ranks I think there would be just as much outcry if not more.

An-Cap Frog

He doesn't do much to recruit. Florida is the #1 destination for the talent pool in Florida, you could blindly make offers to every 4 and 5 star in the state in get half of them without trying too hard.
Will Muschamp had arguably better classes but Mullen is really no different from McElwain...

You could argue that Patterson never got the QB position right. Do you think any of the current candidates can nail that position for TCU?

Eight

We have literally zero evidence that Sonny Dykes is gonna surround himself with “head bobbing sycophants”. In fact I see almost zero similarities between him and Gary beyond them both being middle aged white men that come across as very solid humans. Now, if a month from now we’ve retained Anderson, Sharp, Meach, Sommers, etc that’s a different story.

if in a month's time we have a new hc and have retained anderson, sharp, chad, meach, and sommers i am going to write the mother of all tersely worded letters

TRF51

100% Accurate.

He was the guy from the get go. Criteria in what they were looking for was tailored to fit Dykes from the start, they never dug in and did a true national search, never got aggressive, never got their hands dirty, they had their guy before Gary was fired.

An accurate word for this search would be charade, that’s basically what it was.

Whats more worrying to me is how they indentified this guy as their #1 choice. He is the definition of mediocre, his numbers when you dig in are bad to plain ugly, and there is a massive sample size to support that claim.

What do you know? They interviewed several coaches including Deon. Who didn’t they interview that you would want them to have interviewed?

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
I am but I’d be excited for most anyone not named Briles or Sanders. We didn’t trade Gary for anyone…Gary had to go and if that’s not evident for someone maybe it’s time to schedule that end of year optometrist appointment.

If we’d had the gumption to seek our Joshua earlier we’d be in a better position but so much “In Gary we trust” and “He deserves another year and another year and another year…” brought us here.
I’m not a decision maker but I’m guilty of the give GP another year thing