• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

SackLunch

The only thing that matters is the present and at the present it’s an absolute weakness for our program. Has been for several years.
Again not saying he needs to stay after this regime is out. I do think we owe our thanks and respect to the Coaches that chose TCU/Loyalty over money and bigger opportunities at bigger schools when this thing first got hot, and he is one of them. Back in 2005-2014 when 10 win seasons were expected and the defense was a bunch of 2 star ex QB's,RB'sWR's and other postions that were developed into great defensive players. That Don Sommer system did them pretty dang good and I'm sure those guys would tell you he was pretty important to the success of the program and what it did to put TCU on the map. Yea I get it that a change is needed but to do it so disrespectfully is easily the most disappointing part.

Again not saying he needs to stay after this regime is out. I do think we owe our thanks and respect to the Coaches that chose TCU/Loyalty over money and bigger opportunities at bigger schools when this thing first got hot, and he is one of them. Back in 2005-2014 when 10 win seasons were expected and the defense was a bunch of 2 star ex QB's,RB'sWR's and other postions that were developed into great defensive players. That Don Sommer system did them pretty dang good and I'm sure those guys would tell you he was pretty important to the success of the program and what it did to put TCU on the map. Yea I get it that a change is needed but to do it so disrespectfully is easily the most disappointing part.
I agree about being respectful but when you attribute loyalty as their motive for staying, which of the people on our staff got offers of "money and opportunities at bigger schools" that they turned down? Fuente and Dykes rightfully took the HC jobs they were offered and stayed gone but of the long-time coaches, Glasgow left for one year to be a DC at Tech, got fired and came back, Meacham got demoted from play caller, left to go to Kansas, got fired and came back, and then who? So, you have two guys who left, were fired and came back, never got any more offers and a bunch of guys like Anderson, Sharp, Burns, Sommer, etc... who never even were sought out by other programs during their long tenures at TCU. Is that loyalty or because those other offers never came?

JAB331

Yeah, Kill also got fired, and while he didn't come back, we basically have a staff of people who failed at other places. I jokingly called our program the Island of Misfit Toys.

Sonny was an exception, he left, and succeeded somewhere else. That tells me he saw what was happening at TCU and decided to improve his fortunes. Now, I doubt he's surprised to be coming back and basically replacing his old boss.

Sangria Wine

Yeah, Kill also got fired, and while he didn't come back, we basically have a staff of people who failed at other places. I jokingly called our program the Island of Misfit Toys.

Sonny was an exception, he left, and succeeded somewhere else. That tells me he saw what was happening at TCU and decided to improve his fortunes. Now, I doubt he's surprised to be coming back and basically replacing his old boss.
Are you aware that Sonny Dykes was fired by Cal and that’s how he ended up at TCU as an analyst? He had a losing record 3 out of 4 seasons there. He was 19-30 in 4 years at Cal.

Coaches get fired. That’s life as a coach at any level. Show me a staff that doesn’t have coaches who’ve been fired sometime in the past.

Wexahu

Are you aware that Sonny Dykes was fired by Cal and that’s how he ended up at TCU as an analyst?

Coaches get fired. That’s life as a coach at any level. Show me a staff that doesn’t have coaches who’ve been fired sometime in the past.
They rarely get fired and then get rehired at the same place or take another job and then end up coming back to the same place, for the same job.

It was a little bit of weird thing we had going on, especially with Meacham. Correct me if I’m wrong, but what happened with him basically never happens.

gofor2

I feel like Sonny Dykes would have a ceiling of 7 to 8 wins each year and the program would stagnate. It would basically be similar to Texas Techs years under Kliff
here is coach bros record at tech. How he spun that into an NFL HC job is beyond my limited intellect. All I can think of is QB development.

coachbro.jpg

JAB331

Are you aware that Sonny Dykes was fired by Cal and that’s how he ended up at TCU as an analyst? He had a losing record 3 out of 4 seasons there. He was 19-30 in 4 years at Cal.

I don't care if they've been fired, but are they winning coaches now? Gary is not, the coaches on staff are not, but Sonny is.

Hell, he beat us twice now with less talent, poorer facilities, and a coaching staff he put together at a fraction of the cost.

Sangria Wine

I don't care if they've been fired, but are they winning coaches now? Gary is not, the coaches on staff are not, but Sonny is.

Hell, he beat us twice now with less talent, poorer facilities, and a coaching staff he put together at a fraction of the cost.
As of now, Dykes is 71-61 in his career at LaTech, Cal and SMU. An 8-2 record this year helps a career of being just over .500 career look a little better. Gary Patterson was 181-79 in his career. To your point of him winning right now…Dykes is 25-8 over the last three seasons at SMU. If he can string that same winning percentage together for the next 18 years he can catch up to GP. This may be a “popular firing” for a portion of the TCU fan base, but it’s a damn sure risky proposition to assume you can replicate what’s been done at TCU with a new hire. If we fired GP only to have the chance to hire a guy like Dykes that sure seems reasonably likely to backfire to me.

JAB331

As of now, Dykes is 71-61 in his career at LaTech, Cal and SMU. An 8-2 record this year helps a career of being just over .500 career look a little better. Gary Patterson was 181-79 in his career. To your point of him winning right now…Dykes is 25-8 over the last three seasons at SMU. If he can string that same winning percentage together for the next 18 years he can catch up to GP. This may be a “popular firing” for a portion of the TCU fan base, but it’s a damn sure risky proposition to assume you can replicate what’s been done at TCU with a new hire. If we fired GP only to have the chance to hire a guy like Dykes that sure seems reasonably likely to backfire to me.
I'm definitely not debating Gary's MFLHCGP status and all that he did for TCU. College football has seemingly gone through a monumental shift in the last few years, and it's really comes down to if you think Gary could turn it around with three more years? Given his past three years, I think it's unlikely that he would, so I'd rather watch someone like Dykes for the next three years and see if he can bring us the same magic he did for SMU.

But, do I worry we just pulled a UT and fired our Mack Brown? Yeah, and that's scary as hell. But, Mac also only had one season in his last five where he won fewer than eight games. Gary on the other hand, had only one season in the last five where he won eight or more games.

flyfishingfrog

Napier is 28-11 - so better than Dykes for sure but not exactly blowing the doors off it either. And in the Sunbelt. Hell Traylor is something like 16/17-5 isn't he? I mean both those guys together barely have half a decade of total HC experience and we have fans acting like both are already proven "walk on water" type coaches. The reality is anyone we go after is going to be a gamble as we see at other schools that can't lure a top 10 coach away from another tier 1 program.

Since we are down to somewhere around #4 - 5 on the initial list - let's hope we don't keep dropping

NewFrogFan

When I was at one of the early spring weight lifting deals they used to do every year, a group of coaches from Catholic HS in Baton Rouge walked in. I recognized the logo and introduced myself to Dale Weiner the very longtime and legendary coach of CHS. He told me there was a National Coaches Convention in Dallas they were attending. Nick Saban was the LSU coach and Weiner said Saban told him to go to TCU and meet Don Summa, he was one of the best in the biz. My son lettered 4 times, Don Summer had alot to do with that, regardless of current issues, I will never forget that.

NewFrogFan

Check Nick Sabans record before he came to LSU.