• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

SackLunch

I think that elsewhere might be their couch.
Whoa, Sharp is not a good DE coach but the guy was a great TE's/offensive coach. Big Donnie has been building up our team and turning those undersized LB's/DT's into STRONG little LB's/DT's for a long time and has been a big part of our success in the past. If it is a farewell tour then they definitely deserve it and are not even close to blame for the state of our program. I'm sure Donnie had offers to leave and go to a lot of schools since 2002 but stayed loyal to TCU and our program, even when he was one of the lowest paid strength coaches. Do I think he could tone down the old school "Put as much weight on the bar as possible" mindset, yes. But he is one of those unsung heroes of the program so let's not talk about him going to his couch like he hasn't earned the right to go drink beer on his couch all day.

Frozen Frog

If Napier is the coach of LSU (solid move by both parties) I think there are going to be a lot of very angry LSU fans! It would likely be between Dykes and Campbell. Neither would be a great hire, but I would be very happy with either. Matt Campbell is known for being one of the hardest working coaches in FBS. Dykes is very familiar with the program, and I think he would allow for a smoother transition. Washington and USC need coaches. Kellen Moore might be in the running for one of them.

I do think TCU will struggle for a year with some transition especially schemes change dramatically.

SackLunch

Gary problem is that he tried to keep his 4-2-5, but bring in smaller lbs to cover wrs....but was then left with smaller dudes when people switched back to a running style. Should have learned how to call a 3-2-6, and would have had to revamp positions, just sub people out when the situation changed. Hardheaded nature and end of career laziness has created a cluster.
Actually if your going to beef up the 4-2-5 to stop the power run game you do it with the safeties and all you really need is 1 bigger safety to come in on heavy/power personnel and basically we turn into a 4-3 defense. Great example is when we had Stephan Hodge. That defense was full of hard nosed legit studs but they had no problem stopping the run against legitimate teams because I know the argument is going to be we were in the Mountain West then. We were but played some really good running teams. Crushed Stanford and Heisman candidate Toby Gerhart. BYU was huge and had huge RB's and could sling it but were actually better at running the ball that year. Utah went on to beat Alabama in the Orange Bowl. Colorado state had a team with 2 or 3 NFL O-lineman that year along with a NFL RB. This defense can easily be turned into a heavy run stopper if you have the right personnel. You are right about the smaller guys not being effective when people switch to the power style running, although Travin Howard was 210 at best and did a good job of it.

What would switching to a 3-2-6 defense do besides making us weaker in the box? Unless, you think the 5 in 4-2-5 is referring to the front in which case I'm done with this discussion. Just FYI the 5 in 4-2-5 refers to the secondary, but I'm guessing you knew that and I misunderstood what you were saying...I hope. I really am interested in how this 3-2-6 would work since our hardheaded lazy ex-head coach who pretty much invented his own defense, didn't know how to stop the run.

Oh and we sub people out all the time. We show 3 man fronts and 4 man fronts, 2 LB looks and 3 LB looks the only one I haven't seen, for us or anywhere else in football, is this 6 secondary look which we have as well but could never base out of it and only use it in unique situations like 3rd and long etc..

Moose Stuff

Whoa, Sharp is not a good DE coach but the guy was a great TE's/offensive coach. Big Donnie has been building up our team and turning those undersized LB's/DT's into STRONG little LB's/DT's for a long time and has been a big part of our success in the past. If it is a farewell tour then they definitely deserve it and are not even close to blame for the state of our program. I'm sure Donnie had offers to leave and go to a lot of schools since 2002 but stayed loyal to TCU and our program, even when he was one of the lowest paid strength coaches. Do I think he could tone down the old school "Put as much weight on the bar as possible" mindset, yes. But he is one of those unsung heroes of the program so let's not talk about him going to his couch like he hasn't earned the right to go drink beer on his couch all day.
Don Sommer/strength and conditioning is a GLARING current weakness of our program. Not even debatable. Whether that’s his fault or he’s just doing what Gary wants him to I don’t know, but it’s the first thing the new coach needs to address IMO.

SackLunch

Don Sommer/strength and conditioning is a GLARING current weakness of our program. Not even debatable. Whether that’s his fault or he’s just doing what Gary wants him to I don’t know, but it’s the first thing the new coach needs to address IMO.
That maybe right now. But Don Sommer and his system was a huge part of this programs success and ability to remain successful for a pretty long time. Yea he's an old meat head and like I said, could modernize his system, but was a big part of the so called "great years". I do think he was stifled a little by GP because it seems like Gary did not like changing things.

Moose Stuff

That maybe right now. But Don Sommer and his system was a huge part of this programs success and ability to remain successful for a pretty long time. Yea he's an old meat head and like I said, could modernize his system, but was a big part of the so called "great years". I do think he was stifled a little by GP because it seems like Gary did not like changing things.
The only thing that matters is the present and at the present it’s an absolute weakness for our program. Has been for several years.

4th. down

WHAT?

Let's pick a starting point for 1st. team all Big 12 ('15) Carraway, (16) Carraway (17) Banogu & Boesen, ('18) Banogu. What's wrong with that for a position coach?

asleep003

I’ve found it interesting the coaches that have led the team onto the field are Sharp and Sommer. 2 longtime coaches that will almost certainly be elsewhere after this season. It’s almost like a farewell tour.
You really think so, lol ! ... and you left out Anderson and Burns .?. "elsewhere" is probly in the Carter stands or Tarleton State.

Paint It Purple

He and S/C were debated at length on this board last year and those advocating your sentiments were all told that we were crazy for the mere suggestion.

LVH

I feel like Sonny Dykes would have a ceiling of 7 to 8 wins each year and the program would stagnate. It would basically be similar to Texas Techs years under Kliff

hiphopfroggy

When you say Mathis is all-conference, are you saying that he was last year or that he will be this year? Banks looks incredible? Incredible? Naw bud not even close to good so definitely not incredible. Did you watch Winters in this last game? He was outright horrible but so was the rest of the defense to be fair. When it comes to the development of our DE's/DT's just look at how they have developed our DL over the last 5/6 years and that is what you could of expected but I doubt Sharp or Fitch will be the D-line coaches after this season.

Not sure if you are just trying to be optimistic or what but to say anything good about this defense, especially after this last performance, doesn't say much about what you know about defense and especially the way TCU plays (or used to play).
I clearly stated in the first sentence of my post that you quoted that none of them are currently playing up to their capabilities. Clearly anyone that has had an All Conference Season is an All Conference player. Mathis could [ Finebaum ] himself on every down and he will still have been 2nd Team All Big 12 2020. Nothing can ever take that away from him. So clearly he has the capacity to play like an all conference player again as he has already done so. I already agreed that none of these guys are currently playing up to that level right now.

As for Banks, yea he looks like the real deal and is the best run stuffing LB we have had since Summers. Try to compare 25 trying to stuff the run like 19 without laughing out loud, because that [ Finebaum ] was hilarious. If you don't think 19 can contribute to a winning defense I don't know what to tell you.

I never said a single good thing about the defense as a unit, some of you guys just see red when you read something you disagree with and lose your ability to read at an adult level. The defense is atrocious, every coach needs to go. That does not mean that there are not some talented players on the defense.

Eight

great te coach?

time for sommers to hit the road as well

Wexahu

Gary problem is that he tried to keep his 4-2-5, but bring in smaller lbs to cover wrs....but was then left with smaller dudes when people switched back to a running style. Should have learned how to call a 3-2-6, and wouldn’t have had to revamp positions, just sub people out when the situation changed. Hardheaded nature and end of career laziness has created a cluster.
Hopefully our DEs and LBs will be 15-20 lbs heavier across the board. We’ve gotten WAY too small. Speed doesn’t help much when you’re getting mauled.

As someone else said, Coleman is about 225 lbs, probably soaking wet. No way should he be playing DE in P5 football. Why can’t a kid like that play LB?

Froggy Style

Actually if your going to beef up the 4-2-5 to stop the power run game you do it with the safeties and all you really need is 1 bigger safety to come in on heavy/power personnel and basically we turn into a 4-3 defense. Great example is when we had Stephan Hodge. That defense was full of hard nosed legit studs but they had no problem stopping the run against legitimate teams because I know the argument is going to be we were in the Mountain West then. We were but played some really good running teams. Crushed Stanford and Heisman candidate Toby Gerhart. BYU was huge and had huge RB's and could sling it but were actually better at running the ball that year. Utah went on to beat Alabama in the Orange Bowl. Colorado state had a team with 2 or 3 NFL O-lineman that year along with a NFL RB. This defense can easily be turned into a heavy run stopper if you have the right personnel. You are right about the smaller guys not being effective when people switch to the power style running, although Travin Howard was 210 at best and did a good job of it.

What would switching to a 3-2-6 defense do besides making us weaker in the box? Unless, you think the 5 in 4-2-5 is referring to the front in which case I'm done with this discussion. Just FYI the 5 in 4-2-5 refers to the secondary, but I'm guessing you knew that and I misunderstood what you were saying...I hope. I really am interested in how this 3-2-6 would work since our hardheaded lazy ex-head coach who pretty much invented his own defense, didn't know how to stop the run.

Oh and we sub people out all the time. We show 3 man fronts and 4 man fronts, 2 LB looks and 3 LB looks the only one I haven't seen, for us or anywhere else in football, is this 6 secondary look which we have as well but could never base out of it and only use it in unique situations like 3rd and long etc..
I didn’t say switch, I said learn how to call plays when it is needed rather than changing the type of people you recruit.

Instead, he wanted to just run with the same 4-2-5, which people were able to scheme around...as noted by non-stop deep passes an lack of run stopping.

4th. down

I don’t feel that way. I think he could do better than that. Depends on defensive coaching staff.

We just need to rebuild completely, especially on defense......new schemes, strength, nutrition, conditioning and recruiting a different type of player for a defense we can put on the field to stop these teams from mauling us. I don't think Dykes does that but hopefully Napier would.

Under Dykes I feel we would just try and outscore the opposition and if your offense is off, a loss. Napier, to me is a program builder from the ground up. He likes to play smash mouth football, defense, field position, ball control and a strong running game with a controlled passing offense. Of all his stops, it appears he is more like Saban than some of the other coaches he has been under.