• The KillerFrogs

An interesting conversation on Texas

Frogs1983

How bad were ( are)Frogs to lose to TU this season?
Football Nfl GIF by Barstool Sports

Last edited:

Wexahu

I don't understand the situation there.

Coach after coach, cant seem to get it done. Coaches that were successful in their previous stops.

On paper they should be really good. Are Texas(HS) recruits now becoming duds?

We are next, hopefully we don't suffer the same fate.
I don’t get it either. Even if they do literally everything wrong, I still don’t see how it gets this bad. But I love it.

Frozen Frog

I don't understand the situation there.

Coach after coach, cant seem to get it done. Coaches that were successful in their previous stops.

We are next, hopefully we don't suffer the same fate.

It can be hard to project Texas HS players. With the emphasis of S&C along with nutrition at the high school levels in Texas there is a thought that some peak far too early. Also playing football non-stop with 7v7 and off-season activities heavily focused on football doesn't leave much recover options. I would even add that Texas is being over-recruited. With the SWC and even the original Big 12 there was a pretty good wall around Texas. Now SEC teams have an avenue to recruit the state. Florida faces some similar issues.

geefrogs

It can be hard to project Texas HS players. With the emphasis of S&C along with nutrition at the high school levels in Texas there is a thought that some peak far too early. Also playing football non-stop with 7v7 and off-season activities heavily focused on football doesn't leave much recover options. I would even add that Texas is being over-recruited. With the SWC and even the original Big 12 there was a pretty good wall around Texas. Now SEC teams have an avenue to recruit the state. Florida faces some similar issues.
Ohio State also comes in here and takes the best players every year.

vicarfrog

It's for those reasons you mentioned I'm not excited about the direction of football in general.

Toad Jones

GP to Texas. Book it.
Nope that won't happen. At his son's wedding, I mentioned to Gary about Texas. Gary's brother Keith was standing there with us shaking his head no as well. Unfortunately the US has become so steeped in politics it has bled over to sports as well. Esp. Austin. Just breathing the air down their causes huge problems. Quickly I want to say this. I believe the NFL should give Gary Patterson a very strong look as a NFL SCOUT. He has the eye for judging talent and people know that so when he speaks about the positives of a player they listen. Think Gary would enjoy that positions as well. It fits right up his alley!!

Last edited:

CountryFrog

Nope that won't happen. At his son's wedding, I mentioned to Gary about Texas. Gary's brother Keith was standing there with us shaking his head no as well. Unfortunately the US has become so steeped in politics it has bled over to sports as well. Esp. Austin. Just breathing the air down their causes huge problems. Quickly I want to say this. I believe the NFL should give Gary Patterson a very strong look as a NFL SCOUT. He has the eye for judging talent and people know that so when he speaks about the positives of a player they listen. Think Gary would enjoy that positions as well. It fits right up his alley!!
A scout? You think the guy is going to go from being a top 10 paid college football coach to living on the road making less than $100K scouting?

I'd say he's more likely to be leading the go frogs chant at the 50 yard line next year than doing that.

East Coast

Tier 1
A scout? You think the guy is going to go from being a top 10 paid college football coach to living on the road making less than $100K scouting?

I'd say he's more likely to be leading the go frogs chant at the 50 yard line next year than doing that.
Yeah, he is not doing that. He's also not taking some pressure cooker NFL analyst or defensive coach job for the pay they would offer. He would be fun to watch as an NFL or ESPN NFL draft analyst though (not saying he'd do that either).

Texas recruits becoming “duds” in college has gone through my mind because of the Longhorns’ and Aggies’ failures. Could there be a built-in rating bias for Texas kids. Or maybe more likely—Texas kids are more advanced as athletes and players in high school because of the great football emphasis and more rigorous training in Texas, thus the kids peaking early and having less room for growth in college. And maybe that would pertain most to the four and five star recruits.

Last edited: