• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

SIAP. Based on the following article, the current candidates are
Matt Campbell
Sonny Dykes
Billy Napier
Deion Sanders
Georgia offensive coordinator Todd Monken
Clemson defensive coordinator Brett Venables.
Clemson offensive coordinator Tony Elliott
Denver Broncos running backs coach Curtis Modkins

I should add, the order that I have them listed does not mean anything.
With that list and maybe a few other candidates one can see how a thorough search takes time, which may be good and increase the chance of landing Matt Campbell.

Spike

Ed O?!? We'd have to hire a full time translator, because nobody understands his dialect. Not even deep-in-the-swamp Cajuns. And, we'd have to have a daily supply of fresh boudin shipped in from Breaux Bridge just to keep him from eating the help around the Athletic Department.

I would rank him as less than optimal...
That's racist against cajuns!

Chongo94

Traylor is waiting for a big time role - and hoping his flavor of the month doesn’t lose its taste before he gets a chance at it

Seems like his best shot is Jimbo goes to LSU and he gets the backfill call because I am guessing UT will hold out too long and UTSA will come back down to earth in the next year or two
Gracias.

JAB331

Interesting take. What constitutes a complete rebuild in your opinion? Coach Prime would most likely hold onto more of our players and recruits than anyone else, would you or anyone else disagree with this? I would also like to watch Coach Prime develop TCU's defensive backs. Do you think the best defensive back of all time could develop defensive backs?
Give Coach Prime Garrett Riley as his OC and send Dykes and SMU a thank you card.
Good point on the DBs!

I'm more worried about Morris, he has obvious talent, and whomever comes in needs to be able to develop QBs.

I think Matt Campbell would like the TCU environment. If that happens he could stay for a long time. He played Division III college ball at small private liberal arts University of Mount Union—only 2200 students with purple and white school colors.

He has stated he likes the good crowd attendance at Iowa State—they do have loyal fans, so that is one of the continuing big factors working against TCU. I also read he has some concern about leaving his familiar territory of the upper Midwest—it wasn’t clear if that was regarding recruiting or feeling out of place culturally.

I think it is more difficult to leave your school for a conference foe. And a bit uncool to grab a head coach in a lateral move within your conference.

Last edited:

gofor2

Well anyone with functioning brain can see plain as day that we seem 100% confident that we will get one of our top choices. Just because some people on here don’t want Sonny doesn’t mean he isn’t one of our top choices.

As for “settling”…. If Dykes is say 3rd on our list and after making a run at some other guys we end up with him then that’s 100% settling but that isn’t what he said. What he said was if you’re gonna settle why do the search in the first place? Well if you didn’t do the search then you didn’t actually settle…. So whatever point you’re trying to make isn’t relevant to the discussion.

The portion of your reply is based on perception of confidence and an assumed outcome. We are confident we will get one of our top choices, our AD said we aren't going to settle. How neat and tidy that is.

I'm glad the confidence is there that we are going to get our top choice, but that doesn't always work out in college football, does it.? The reality is, there is a chance of us not getting our preferred candidate and that was the basis of my post on settling. A what-if scenario, if you will.

Your last paragraph reads like a homeless man arguing with the air around him.

Moose Stuff

The portion of your reply is based on perception of confidence and an assumed outcome. We are confident we will get one of our top choices, our AD said we aren't going to settle. How neat and tidy that is.

I'm glad the confidence is there that we are going to get our top choice, but that doesn't always work out in college football, does it.? The reality is, there is a chance of us not getting our preferred candidate and that was the basis of my post on settling. A what-if scenario, if you will.

I don’t care about your scenario because it’s 100% irrelevant to the original observation I made (to SOMEONE ELSE’S post I might add). That you can’t understand my last paragraph speaks far more to your lack of intelligence than it does mine.

I don’t know how appropriate that visual is, but it is funny.

Sometimes people like to nitpick and argue the extraneous even when the intended meaning was pretty clear in the context of the discussion. That may have been what tipped off your back and forth, maybe needlessly.

Frozen Frog

I think Matt Campbell would like the TCU environment. If that happens he could stay for a long time. He played Division III college ball at small private liberal arts University of Mount Union—only 2200 students with purple and white school colors.

He has stated he likes the good crowd attendance at Iowa State—they do have loyal fans, so that is one of the continuing big factors working against TCU. I also read he has some concern about leaving his familiar territory of the upper Midwest—it wasn’t clear if that was regarding recruiting or feeling out of place culturally.

I think it is more difficult to leave your school for a conference foe. And a bit uncool to grab a head coach in a lateral move within your conference.

I'd forgotten he was a Mount Union guy. I like him more now. Speaking of Mount Union Vince Kehres' name mentioned for a few jobs. He is the DC at Toledo. There is a lot to like about Mount Union coaches. I am always a little shocked in Texas nobody considers some of the D3 guys. They have to recruit locally, and they do quite well at the national level.