• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

flyfishingfrog

So for those in the know, are we not even trying to take a run at Traylor now that he has signed that extension?
Traylor is waiting for a big time role - and hoping his flavor of the month doesn’t lose its taste before he gets a chance at it

Seems like his best shot is Jimbo goes to LSU and he gets the backfill call because I am guessing UT will hold out too long and UTSA will come back down to earth in the next year or two

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
That does not mean you can’t have a deal - you may just not announce it

But if we don’t have a deal in place shortly it will mean our preferred candidates have all said no or are holding out waiting for a better job - ie Napier for LSU
One of the convenient things about being a Private University.

flyfishingfrog

Barrett Sallee on Sirius/XM/CBS said on Full Ride that he just doesn't understand why LSU hasn't hired Napier by now. Says he checks all of the boxes.
Not a big enough name after your just fired a coach that won a Natty 2 years ago

Plus they view Napiers current job as babysitting little sister

LSU boosters evidently seriously think they can pull Jimbo and that is the type of hire they expect

Doesn’t mean they don’t end up with Napier and he seems to be holding out - but maybe he gets tired of waiting or just told no by LSU before we make a dumb decision

Eight

Of course they weren't but TCU had Cumbie as the OC in 2017, and they sure were looking to fire him and with good reason. Was Dykes even offered the OC position that was available the following season? If Dykes was so valuable to TCU why didn't they hold onto him in some capacity?
I'm done with retreads. Glasgow, retread. Meachum, retread. retreads are terrible.

So now TCU wants Dykes back because he beat two terrible TCU teams? Since being at SMU the guys record in the American is 4-4, 6-2,4-3, and 3-2. I'm supposed to think that is good?

question, if gary was "looking to fire " sonny then why didn't he pull the trigger and be done with him instead of having him on staff until his contract expired.

agree with the idea that dykes beating gary twice in a row isn't a primary reason to hire him or the list of candidates would include neal brown and the guy from kstate as well, but the cumbie comment makes no sense

flyfishingfrog

Facts? I'm going to have to, uh, disagree there.
June Jones win percentage is below Dykes, yes. Part of that was the horrible team he inherited (Jones 1st year was 1-11).
In his first 5 years Jones was 3-1 in bowl games and SMU finished 1st twice.

Dykes has won more games, but inherited a 7 win team with a lot of talent., his best finish at SMU is 3rd place and he is 0-2 in bowl games.

View attachment 10077
Well his first bowl loss he had been coach for a week, their conference is 5x better now than when Jones was there, they beat us twice in a row for the first time in your lifetime I would guess and At least he has coached in a bowl game

Sanders coaches in the SWAC - a league so bad we complain every year we play one of them…the league sucks and it’s like saying a 5a HS football coach is going to save us

Frozen Frog

SIAP. Based on the following article, the current candidates are
Matt Campbell
Sonny Dykes
Billy Napier
Deion Sanders
Georgia offensive coordinator Todd Monken
Clemson defensive coordinator Brett Venables.
Clemson offensive coordinator Tony Elliott
Denver Broncos running backs coach Curtis Modkins

I should add, the order that I have them listed does not mean anything.

I would be happy with almost anyone on that list. Neon Deion is not my cup of tea, but it might somehow work for us. I am not too high on the Clemson coordinators. I think Clemson has fallen greatly with little explanation other than QB play. Campbell would be a home run hire. He has been rumored at other jobs that would likely be more prestigious, but he might also really like TCU. Napier and Dykes would both be good hires. If Napier is looking for a SEC job he might be a challenge to sign and keep. I know why a lot of people discount Dykes, but he is winning consistently at SMU. He is familiar with the program. It won't be the exciting hire, but it also would be solid. I just don't know if Curtis Modkins is ready for HC job.

gofor2

If we have to "settle" then why search in the first place.
I can't speak for Care and I'm not part of any prior conversation, but in generalities I agree with the logic that we shouldn't settle.
I would add - if you are an AD and you are making a change, make darn sure you can get one of the candidates you want.
Let's say ADJD has 2-3 preferred targets and a list total of 7 people. If those preferred targets decline or take other jobs, then any hire at that point is settling. I would then say that the process used to get to that end point was a failure. Perhaps that process is an embedded risk that comes with the job.

Last edited:

hiphopfroggy

I can't speak for Care, but I do agree with the logic in Care's post.
I would add - if you are an AD and you are making a change, make darn sure you can get one of the candidates you want.
Let's say going into the firing of GP, ADJD had 2-3 preferred targets and a list total of 7 people. If those preferred targets decline or take other jobs, then any hire at that point is settling. I would also say that the process used to get to that end point was a failure. Perhaps that process is an embedded risk that comes with the job.
JD spoke to all of this at the press conference. It was done out of respect for GP. JD and Chancellor decided that the right thing to do was to let GP know as soon as they had made the decision, before they hired a search firm and started the search process. They didn't seem to expect GP to step down immediately.

Toad Jones

It's Thursday and that day indicates coffee and donut with the guys. In our group are two pilots both of who are commercial. One is a heavy long haul guy over the big waters. One is an engineer who helped create HP in the very beginning. Another is a Dr. and the last is a retired minister. Boy the conversations we get into? On any given day, we can cure the whoa of the government both in the US and western Europe. In other words, .. loads of wisdom.

The pilot with AA said, what's the latest on hiring a new coach with your school. (they know my school but they have to do the usual ragging on each other because its the rule, no exceptions) I answered by explanation of the candidates). Running down the list I got the usual hum..nah..ok. Mentioned the last two, and they either smiled or gave me the crocked head and the bug eye. Lastly I mentioned the current coach at the Dallas school. No doubt of their immediate reaction. "He doesn't fit the mold of TCU athletics or the school." I thought about that for a second and in my mind said, you know, that may the simplest answer I've heard as to reason why that coach seems to garner only slight reaction. Men of this caliber of experience can cut right to the heart. It many times is not what you want to hear but its probably the closets thing to the right answer. Thought you might want to know the thoughts of some successful businessmen.

I'm a bit concerned with the selection committee at this point. Every day I read a different name and I'm wondering, they haven't found the man yet or they have and are scared to make the wrong decision. That last part scares me a lot. Sounds like, well let me give you an answer as an example. I'm not in real estate but have heard time and time again where your selling a home to a buyer, you pick out three or four homes to show and that's it. You show more and you confuse the buyer, doubts spring into their heads and before long, you hear your client.... what about this and that. In other words you open the door and it takes you forever to close the sale. It can go on and on and a month later you've lost control of the client and most likely the sale. Believe that pretty much holds true on any product your trying to sell. So the point is, has TCU opened the door and more doubts have crept into the decision making. Do we really have a clear cut idea of the qualifications of the candidate. Getting to the heart quickly, they most likely have the man in front of them but can't pull the trigger. Confusion ..? On the other hand, it also means TCU is a valuable position and candidates want to throw their hat into the ring.. Question I have: where is your confidence, where is your focus? If your confused and asking ...what about this and that, possibly you need to sit down, quietly stare into each committee member eyes, and say lets refocus and get it right.

Moose Stuff

I can't speak for Care, but I do agree with the logic in Care's post.
Let's say going into the firing of GP, ADJD had 2-3 preferred targets and a list total of 7 people. If those preferred targets decline or take other jobs, then any hire at that point is settling. I would also say that the process used to get to that end point was a failure. Perhaps that process is an embedded risk that comes with the job.
Well anyone with functioning brain can see plain as day that we seem 100% confident that we will get one of our top choices. Just because some people on here don’t want Sonny doesn’t mean he isn’t one of our top choices.

As for “settling”…. If Dykes is say 3rd on our list and after making a run at some other guys we end up with him then that’s 100% settling but that isn’t what he said. What he said was if you’re gonna settle why do the search in the first place? Well if you didn’t do the search then you didn’t actually settle…. So whatever point you’re trying to make isn’t relevant to the discussion.

gofor2

JD spoke to all of this at the press conference. It was done out of respect for GP. JD and Chancellor decided that the right thing to do was to let GP know as soon as they had made the decision, before they hired a search firm and started the search process. They didn't seem to expect GP to step down immediately.

I'm talking about the potential of 'settling' for a candidate that wasn't at or near the top of our list. Problem is - none of us know what the list is lol

Moose Stuff

It's Thursday and that day indicates coffee and donut with the guys. In our group are two pilots both of who are commercial. One is a heavy long haul guy over the big waters. One is an engineer who helped create HP in the very beginning. Another is a Dr. and the last is a retired minister. Boy the conversations we get into? On any given day, we can cure the whoa of the government both in the US and western Europe. In other words, .. loads of wisdom.

The pilot with AA said, what's the latest on hiring a new coach with your school. (they know my school but they have to do the usual ragging on each other because its the rule, no exceptions) I answered by explanation of the candidates). Running down the list I got the usual hum..nah..ok. Mentioned the last two, and they either smiled or gave me the crocked head and the bug eye. Lastly I mentioned the current coach at the Dallas school. No doubt of their immediate reaction. "He doesn't fit the mold of TCU athletics or the school." I thought about that for a second and in my mind said, you know, that may the simplest answer I've heard as to reason why that coach seems to garner only slight reaction. Men of this caliber of experience can cut right to the heart. It many times is not what you want to hear but its probably the closets thing to the right answer. Thought you might want to know the thoughts of some successful businessmen.

I'm a bit concerned with the selection committee at this point. Every day I read a different name and I'm wondering, they haven't found the man yet or they have and are scared to make the wrong decision. That last part scares me a lot. Sounds like, well let me give you an answer as an example. I'm not in real estate but have heard time and time again where your selling a home to a buyer, you pick out three or four homes to show and that's it. You show more and you confuse the buyer, doubts spring into their heads and before long, you hear your client.... what about this and that. In other words you open the door and it takes you forever to close the sale. It can go on and on and a month later you've lost control of the client and most likely the sale. Believe that pretty much holds true on any product your trying to sell. So the point is, has TCU opened the door and more doubts have crept into the decision making. Do we really have a clear cut idea of the qualifications of the candidate. Getting to the heart quickly, they most likely have the man in front of them but can't pull the trigger. Confusion ..? On the other hand, it also means TCU is a valuable position and candidates want to throw their hat into the ring.. Question I have: where is your confidence, where is your focus? If your confused and asking ...what about this and that, possibly you need to sit down, quietly stare into each committee member eyes, and say lets refocus and get it right.
So a pilot and an engineer who have zero affiliation to TCU/SMU/Sonny Dykes don’t think Dykes is a good fit for TCU? That might be the most useless piece of information that’s been submitted to this thread.

Toad Jones

So a pilot and an engineer who have zero affiliation to TCU/SMU/Sonny Dykes don’t think Dykes is a good fit for TCU? That might be the most useless piece of information that’s been submitted to this thread.
Sir, I'm sure the selection committee understands the relevancy of the post.

LisaLT

We have a game in two days. Is anyone going up there to Okie land? Do we know who's playing and who isn't? I assume Morris is starting (duh) but do we have any clue if ZE or KM are going to be on the field?