• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

Frozen Frog

There seems to be buzz around Mel Tucker to LSU. I wonder why Napier isn't on that list I am guessing LSU isn't willing to accept a coach with the pedigree of Napier. I think several coaches are waiting to see where the USC and LSU dominoes fall.

Wexahu

No, I'm with you. What has Dykes really done? His best year was a 3rd place finish at SMU in 2019. Ideally our future hire has a conference title under his belt, or at least a 2nd place finish. but 3rd? meh.
Don't even get me started on his time at Cal, that was a disaster
I’ll get you started on his time at Cal. It wasn’t a “disaster”. That’s a huge exaggeration.

He’s been by far the most successful coach in the past 35 years at the school he’s coaching at right now, to answer your what has he done question.

gofor2

I’ll get you started on his time at Cal. It wasn’t a “disaster”. That’s a huge exaggeration.

He’s been by far the most successful coach in the past 35 years at the school he’s coaching at right now, to answer your what has he done question.
"What has he done?" was rhetorical. I know what he has done. He has elevated SMU to a personal best 3rd place finish and 0-2 in bowl games.. My bar is higher.

Huge exaggeration? Hardly. I base my statements on data.
Out of 128 teams, Dykes Cal team was 126th in scoring defense in 2014/15. If that isn't a disaster, what is?

Dykes defense gave up 43ppg or more 9 times in his last season there. 45, 43, 51, 47, 49, 45, 66, 56, 45 were the totals in those 9 games.

Last edited:

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
I guess our definitions of disaster are different. Perhaps I should have said "horribly below average".
When someone goes 10-26 in conference play and 19-30 overall. You can polish that [ #2020 ] all you want, but that's bad, mmmk?
If it’s Chris Peterson or blow up the search and start over as far as you are concerned, prepare yourself for disappointment

gofor2

If it’s Chris Peterson or blow up the search and start over as far as you are concerned, prepare yourself for disappointment
I don't think we should settle - so yes, blow that up if those guys means settling.
To be fair, I haven't had time to go through every alleged candidate listed in the OP. Maybe one of those guys has done something special, I don't know.

Paint It Purple

I'm sure we're interested in Campbell, but I also believe that he's a guy that really won't do anything/make a decision till the season is over, and that may cost him the job here (if he really even wants it). I get the feeling that we're itching to get something done soon, as we should be, and we're trying to make that happen with Napier, but we'll end up with Dykes if we can't get that done.

Anybody else there?
Coach Campbell needs to stay in Iowa. And, just curious....with the new signing date virtually assuring that head coaches are going to be fired and hired before season's end, how will Coach Campbell ever leave ISU unless he relaxes his alleged rule.

Eight

I don't think we should settle - so yes, blow that up if those guys means settling.
To be fair, I haven't had time to go through every alleged candidate listed in the OP. Maybe one of those guys has done something special, I don't know.

define settle, that gets thrown around from time to time, but exactly what would qualify as something special or not settling

Eight

Not NO but absolutely hell NO. Please let's hope this is just BS. What a disaster that would be. Are we down to Ed O and Deion???????

hiring them as position coaches would be interesting and the defensive side of the ball would be much, much looser than in years past

LisaLT

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

Moose Stuff

"What has he done?" was rhetorical. I know what he has done. He has elevated SMU to a personal best 3rd place finish. Congrats for him/them. My bar is higher than 3rd and ours should be too.

I guess our definitions of disaster are different. Perhaps I should have said "horribly below average".
When someone goes 10-26 in conference play and 19-30 overall. You can polish that cow patty all you want, but that's bad, mmmk?
Choosing to end your post with “mmmk” is probably not helping your cause.

gofor2

Every coach’s time at Cal is a disaster.
That's funny :) but incorrect.
The guy before Sonny and the guy hired to replace Sonny both have better winning percentages and better defense. Sonny's defense was a disaster. They gave up +43 points 9 times in 2016.

Last edited: