• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

Paint It Purple

This is admittedly somewhat conspiratorial, but has anyone (well, other than me) considered the possibility that TCU is just creating faux interest in Sanders and Elliott as candidates, in order to meet some sort of self-imposed quota on black candidates being "in the mix", in an attempt to preempt any criticism of the school for a lack of "diversity" in their candidate pool?

It certainly wouldn't be the first time this has been raised as an issue, and TCU might be particularly sensitive to such a charge if they are still secretly trying to wrangle a PAC-12 invite in a couple of years.

I feel there
has to be something more to this than genuine interest in these two marginal (at best) candidates, being prominently played out in the media!
I considered the Deion Sanders leaks done perhaps for the publicity value. As in why not interview him? What's there to lose? The race angle though; jeez can we please move on from this skin color batshit.

Mean Purple

Yeah, all good points. I didn't realize he was in his 50s, I'm feeling old now.

But I can see college football re-inventing itself over the next couple of years, and the best head coaches being the ones that can help the kids grow their own personal brand while attracting (and empowering) great assistant coaches.

If that premise is right, Sanders is a fit.
Football is already moving in a cycle. Here we are getting back to more play action motion based and more run up the gut, and getting away from some of the screen rpo stuff. Everbody moved D to nickel as base, we'll just run some more for first downs and cheat it up, etc.

Mean Purple

There are more than three “serious” candidates but only 3 + 1 yet to be mentioned that I could imagine being hired. The yet to be mentioned isn’t earth shaking, but he (his people) initiated the interest and TCU is trying to assess if they want to throw his name into the hat at this point… It’s a combination of things, being so far along with other candidates they really like and this gent may or may not be seriously interested, plus a need to keep it highly secret if they did interview/etc… odd position to be in, which probably means he won’t ever go anywhere in this process.
That yet to be mentioned isn't Mark Stoops, is it?

MTfrog5

He might be a good hire for them but it would concern me about his comment about being a high school coach at a college program. Immediately thought of Dodge at University of North Texas and Stoops watching Southlake film

I'm not so much worried about the FSU job. Their program is having some financial troubles and their facilities are really, really bad right now. I've been there a few times in the last couple of years for some business, and I was shocked at how far behind they are compared to the elite programs of the SEC, B10 and B12. FSU is a mess and it's a miracle that Jimbo won a championship there. That championship did not pay dividends for the football program.

That being said, there are about a hundred other reasons not to hire Sanders, any one of which should disqualify him.

Please list those in ascending order.

Regarding the difference part, I meant more so difference in preference between the 2 amongst the TCU decision makers

How would making an announcement in the next 1-2 weeks work with a current HC?
Leaving their current job for TCU… that’s how it would work. Can’t always finish the season. If a player can quit and go to the portal on any given week, so can a coach. (I admit an imperfect comparison)

Have the last or second to last weekend circled for sure.

Obvious Troll

Wait a moment.

Professors often are granted sabbaticals after as little as 7 years. LHCMFP has been doing the grind for 21 years.
So why can't TCU grant LHCMFP a sabbatical and allow him to refresh and retool? It's a legitimate question, and that conversation should have happened in 2017.

If, and this is a big if, TCU cannot find a gem top quality coach that is a good fit for TCU, why not give LHCMFP the option; Sign Coach Kill to 1 year excessive money contract, allow LHCMFP to retool, improve his delegation skills, enhance/update his player interactions, and return triumphant?

Anyone on this board would be burnt toast after 21 years of the weight on LHCGMFP's shoulders.
If the coaching hire goes south, at least give the man the option. Just a thought.

victorias secret model GIF

Frozen Frog

I knew a few coaches at the D3 level that took sabbaticals.

Barry Alvarez acted as the interim HC for Wisconsin twice after he retired from coaching. He was the AD both times. I think GP is done with coaching. He may find that fire again, but I think he would rather pursue other endeavors.

frogs9497

This is admittedly somewhat conspiratorial, but has anyone (well, other than me) considered the possibility that TCU is just creating faux interest in Sanders and Elliott as candidates, in order to meet some sort of self-imposed quota on black candidates being "in the mix", in an attempt to preempt any criticism of the school for a lack of "diversity" in their candidate pool?

It certainly wouldn't be the first time this has been raised as an issue, and TCU might be particularly sensitive to such a charge if they are still secretly trying to wrangle a PAC-12 invite in a couple of years.

I feel there
has to be something more to this than genuine interest in these two marginal (at best) candidates, being prominently played out in the media! As far as I'm concerned, Elliot may very well be a valid candidate, but
Deon Sanders is a complete joke. His most cited attribute is that he's a "good recruiter"! That's it? You might as well start to go after Timeshare Salesmen!

I could be completely off base, but the notion of “token” candidates has crossed my mind.

Eight

You seem to love to pop off and misquote/misrepresent people's statements without actually reading what they wrote. I never wrote that I believe that. I just pointed out the [ #2020 ] he is catching up there. Next time, try reading before popping off. Other than that, I don't really give a scheiss who you feel sorry for.

did you or did you not say that he was catching crap in columbus, could be out, and used what you heard on espn as verification?

Wexahu

Nice to see all the Sanders articles, thanks for posting @hiphopfroggy I didn't know his son was the QB - interesting..!!

I'll say this, in this new NIL era, I can't think of anyone who could help athletes better self promote than Sanders..! One worry though is there could be the same larger-than-life presence like Gary where the coaches don't feel empowered and worry about being trumped on whim...
Just what we need, a bunch of kids wanting to learn how to self-promote.
Yeah, all good points. I didn't realize he was in his 50s, I'm feeling old now.

But I can see college football re-inventing itself over the next couple of years, and the best head coaches being the ones that can help the kids grow their own personal brand while attracting (and empowering) great assistant coaches.

If that premise is right, Sanders is a fit.
We've truly entered an alternative universe. I guess the best coaches in the future will come straight from PR firms.

One poster (I think it was from the other board, the huge pro-Deion guy over there) openly admitted he didn't even care about wins and losses, he just wants eyeballs and media attention.'

SMH

Eight

All Cedar Hill kids. One good player, one decent at best player, and one with a really weak offer list. I wouldn’t worry to much about that.

bingo, all three from the place he made his name and now coached by one of his old assistants.

joey has a rep as a good recruiter, will be interesting to see the staff he puts together, but this isn't a reason to worry and push up the tcu time table