• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

froginmn

Kill is a really great guy and/but a really average coach. Not the answer.
Not arguing that we should hire him but Kill is not an average coach. He took a Southern Illinois program that was winning 3 games a year and took them to 9, 10, and 12 win seasons, conference championships and playoff runs.

Then he went to Northern Illinois and took a team that was 3-9 to 11-3.

Took Minnesota from 3-9 seasons to 8-5 seasons (including losses to our better TCU teams) before his health issues sidelined him.

Turning around three separate programs is way above average.

Wexahu

Not arguing that we should hire him but Kill is not an average coach. He took a Southern Illinois program that was winning 3 games a year and took them to 9, 10, and 12 win seasons, conference championships and playoff runs.

Took Minnesota from 3-9 seasons to 8-5 seasons (including losses to our better TCU teams) before his health issues sidelined him.

Agreed, he was a very good coach, his record is underrated. Always had very solid teams. But he’s not anything close to a realistic candidate to be TCU’s permanent HC right now, for a variety of reasons.

Paul in uhh

I can see tcu being appealing if he wants a place in the south where he will get minimal interference from boosters and admins while still having their full buy in. He won’t get that treatment at any top SEC school.

tcuball3

Ticket Exchange Pass
FWIW… Word this afternoon from University Dr. is that the Napier interview/review process has gone so well that he has moved up to #1 on the board and, pending a few outstanding items, it’s possible things could start moving quite quickly this next week. I think TCU believes they have a guy they like and could keep for a “long time.” As some of you remember from other coaching searches, these things move both slow and fast and, if you find somebody you like and there’s momentum, it pays dividends to focus your attention and get things done vs. waiting for the process. I get the sense we’re heading in that direction.

We shall see what happens…
Surprised at this a little, heard last week he was not super interested, I wonder what changed from his camp. Also kind of wonder how he got ahead of Dykes.

I have some concerns with him: the UL offense is kind of vanilla lack of ties to Texas, he played at Furman and grew up in South Carolina. Also concerned he would leave if successful for $ec

TCUdirtbag

Fine, really average P5 coach.

y2kFrog

FWIW… Word this afternoon from University Dr. is that the Napier interview/review process has gone so well that he has moved up to #1 on the board and, pending a few outstanding items, it’s possible things could start moving quite quickly this next week. I think TCU believes they have a guy they like and could keep for a “long time.” As some of you remember from other coaching searches, these things move both slow and fast and, if you find somebody you like and there’s momentum, it pays dividends to focus your attention and get things done vs. waiting for the process. I get the sense we’re heading in that direction.

We shall see what happens…
Napier may be a good candidate, but I sure hope we interview more than one person.

Mean Purple

What?

Nobody said TCU was big state U. No [ #2020 ]. TCU has very good facilities. That comes from players, other coaches and pundits.

The new suites? Seriously? That has nothing to do with recruits. They are for the donors.

Recruiting hot bed. The state of Texas is considered that. DFW and Houston produce a lot of D1 players.
I think some folks have not seen our facilities. They would be surprised where other schools go to get ideas.

Last edited:

Frozen Frog

Patterson was super young when he got the HC job at TCU. Dykes is in his mid 50s. That isn't old, but I think TCU would like to stay younger. I would be happy with Dykes, but I also wonder if he isn't happy with holding at SMU long-term.