• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

Wexahu

Deion, Kellen, Sonny....they will all be gone after four years. They will have either failed and be fired or succeeded and hired at another program.
The "moving on" argument is a moot point. They will all move on to a better opportunity. Nature of this business we have be spared of for 20 years that no other program has any issue with (with exception of Alabama and Iowa).
Sonny would be MUCH less likely to move on than the other two. Deion would be a hired gun, Moore isn't from here and has NFL ties, Sonny is from West Texas and is a college football guy through and though......and has been around long enough to know that chasing rainbows isn't always the right move.

LisaLT

Who cares what it appears like? If he's the best guy and we can get him, we should hire him. Sometimes the best guy might be the easy, obvious choice.

And you don't think he'd bring a fresh perspective to the program? I absolutely think he would.
Not sure he is the "best" guy.

Dogfrog

Deion Sanders has the juice! The it Factor. He played both ways, but was best on defense a true shut down corner. He has turned his current program around! Prime Time making commercials with Nick Saban. He can close the 5 Star talent. Make sure we have an awesome defense and great offense. You know he will have great special teams. Neon Deion is my choice! Go Frogs!
He has apparently not attended a JSU game for about three weeks with some medical problem. Not sure if it’s serious. But overall Sanders does not excite me at all.

Dogfrog

Who cares what it appears like? If he's the best guy and we can get him, we should hire him. Sometimes the best guy might be the easy, obvious choice.

And you don't think he'd bring a fresh perspective to the program? I absolutely think he would.
IMO this interest in Dykes has more to do with him kicking our ass twice in a row than whether he is the best guy.

Edit: OT beat me to it

Big Frog II

With Dykes, he has won 10 games with SMU and very well could this year. They have hardly played in many bowl games in 30 years, so that's quite an accomplishment regardless of conference. I wouldn't go by his Cal record. Again, a bad fit.

Wexahu

Not sure he is the "best" guy.
I'm not sure he is either but I'm pretty sure he not a bad candidate at all. All these names being thrown around, and nobody really knows if they even want to be at TCU.

And I still don't get the high floor-low ceiling, or low floor-high ceiling concept. People seem to think Dykes has a low ceiling for some reason. He hasn't coached at a place where winning is at all easy. And yet Matt Campbell is all that? He was 35-15 at Toledo (historically one of the better MAC schools and a place where many coaches have had success) and he's 40-31 at Iowa State, won more than 8 games once. What makes him such a can't-miss prospect? It's because winning is hard at Iowa State, just like winning is hard at La Tech, Cal and SMU, as history shows.

Wexahu

IMO this interest in Dykes has more to do with him kicking our ass twice in a row than whether he is the best guy.

Edit: OT beat me to it
Sure it has something to do with it. Not unlike how we all feel about Matt Campbell.

I think some of the interest on these other guys has more to do with making a PR splash than anything else. The most important thing is getting a guy that knows how to put a staff together and coach football. It seems like we're getting a little carried away with obsessing over how we're going to get 5-star talent, kind of at the expense of everything else.

westoverhillbilly

According to money guys I know, we nearly lost Gary to greener pastures a couple of times in his earlier years. I remember a tense discussion these guys were having at the Salt Lake City Marriott concierge lounge the morning after the tough 2008 loss at Utah about needing to pony up more money. I believe that Gary made the TCU job so good that it just didn't make sense to leave for places where he would be puppeteered to varying degrees. We kept him and he stayed with us because of ours and his lucky stars..

We hope not to become a stepping stone but that's just difficult to do.. For goodness sakes, LSU lost Saban for greener pastures.

Regarding Deion, I love the idea of instant recruiting and starpower, but I'm afraid he's only around for the good and won't have a work ethic and when things get a little tough, he may be gone or just won't perform admirably.

asleep003

Evidently Dykes knows something TCU doesn't/didn't...
How to find a passing attack with different leaders.
How to protect his QB and allow him to find open WRs...
How to establish a quality staff with le$$ and in a short time period.
How to locate and develop diamonds in the ruff like GP use to do...
How to really utilize the Portal system.

And why is Dion even on this thread.?.

Last edited:

Froggish

I hate to say it but TCU is now a "stepping stone" school for any head coach we hire. We will never find another coach like GP who will stick around and continue to build up what GP did while he was here. I would bet we won't have the same head coach for longer than 6 years from this point forward. Guys like GP don't exist anymore and if they do they aren't near as good as he was.
So what you are saying is that out of 130 FBS schools we are the same as 125 of them? That was always going to be case. GP was an anomaly.