• The KillerFrogs

Ponies are coming

ECM

Hard to believe it’s been two years since we made the trip westward to that far-flung suburb of Dallas and brought the Skillet back to its rightful home in the Park Cities. Alas, it will be back in the building Saturday and I thought I’d give y’all a little rundown on the Ponies this year and what to expect in the game.

TL;DR version: we’re probably about as good as our 2019 team, TCU should have a significant advantage upfront and probably wins this year

QB: Buechele is out and OU transfer Tanner Mordecai is in. He leads the nation with 16 TD passes and while his deep ball isn’t quite as good as Shane’s, he’s considerably more athletic and can extend plays with his feet (which he’ll need to do as you’ll read below). He had a case of the fumbles in the first half vs University of North Texas which hopefully he’s gotten worked out because otherwise he’s been sensational. If SMU is going to win it’s going to require a superhuman effort from #8 IMO.

RBs: Ulysses Bentley IV (yes, that’s his real name) is the show pony…he’s undersized but lightning fast; think of a poor man’s Alvin Kamara. University of North Texas transfer RB Tre Siggers will spell Bentley for a few carries while Tyler Lavine is your prototypical hard-nosed white walk-on who will get some blocking assignments and maybe a carry or two in short yardage situations.

WRs: The strength of the team. Reggie Roberson is the big name, but he’s looked a step slower this year since tearing his ACL last October. You’ll remember Danny Gray, I expect us to involve him a lot in screens and some gadget run plays to keep the TCU pass rush at bay…he can absolutely fly but his hands are suspect at best. Rashee Rice has probably been our most reliable WR so far this year. Jordan Kerley is an ASU transfer who caught his first TD last week and should get more involved as the season progresses; the coaches are quite high on him as he’s big and has some wheels.

TEs: Former All-Big 12 TE Grant Calcaterra medically retired at OU but has since resurfaced on the Hilltop and is one of Mordecai’s favorite targets; I’d expect to hear his name often on Saturday. ASU transfer Nolan Matthews should also get a few targets but will be more involved as a blocker.

OL: Easily the biggest disappointment through three games. Four senior starters and they’ve been pretty meh against the likes of University of North Texas and La Tech, and I suspect TCU’s DL is a tad better than those two teams. If #78 Beau Morris is in the game at any time, you can expect to see a TCU defender in the backfield.

DL: I thought this group would be a strength heading into this season, but they’ve been pretty meh as well. We run a base 3-4, nose tackle Mike Williams was a former two-year starter at Stanford who mans the middle for us, Elijah Chatman and Devere LEvelston are serviceable on the ends. That being said, TCU’s OL should be able to push this group around and create some space for Evans to operate.

LBs: Delano Robinson is back for seemingly his 8th year on the Hilltop and will start at one of the ILB spots; former Oregon starter Isaac Slade-Matutia will likely either start or see most of the snaps at the other ILB spot. He just transferred here in mid-August and is still getting acclimated but is a player. On the edge, Nelson Paul had an ungodly 98.5 rating on PFF last game vs La Tech; I, uh, dont expect him to repeat that on Saturday but we will need him making plays in the backfield to have a chance.

DBs: True freshman safety Isaiah Nwokobia has 2 INTs through 3 games (and should’ve had #3 last week). The rest of the group has played so poorly that I’m not going to write anything else about them.

Prediction: I expect SMU to run some quick hit plays early to try and keep TCU’s pass rush honest. Mordecai is going to have to extend plays and hit shots down the field. I think you can absolutely expect a trick play or two as I just haven’t seen anything from our OL that makes me think we can line up and go straight at a defense like TCU. Defensively, I expect we’ll load the box, try and take Evans away as best as possible and force Duggan to beat us vertically with his arm. He should have some open receivers as our DBs have mostly been garbage. I will say 34-23 TCU.

Ron Swanson

tldr-didnt.gif

mc1502

Hard to believe it’s been two years since we made the trip westward to that far-flung suburb of Dallas and brought the Skillet back to its rightful home in the Park Cities. Alas, it will be back in the building Saturday and I thought I’d give y’all a little rundown on the Ponies this year and what to expect in the game.

TL;DR version: we’re probably about as good as our 2019 team, TCU should have a significant advantage upfront and probably wins this year

QB: Buechele is out and OU transfer Tanner Mordecai is in. He leads the nation with 16 TD passes and while his deep ball isn’t quite as good as Shane’s, he’s considerably more athletic and can extend plays with his feet (which he’ll need to do as you’ll read below). He had a case of the fumbles in the first half vs University of North Texas which hopefully he’s gotten worked out because otherwise he’s been sensational. If SMU is going to win it’s going to require a superhuman effort from #8 IMO.

RBs: Ulysses Bentley IV (yes, that’s his real name) is the show pony…he’s undersized but lightning fast; think of a poor man’s Alvin Kamara. University of North Texas transfer RB Tre Siggers will spell Bentley for a few carries while Tyler Lavine is your prototypical hard-nosed white walk-on who will get some blocking assignments and maybe a carry or two in short yardage situations.

WRs: The strength of the team. Reggie Roberson is the big name, but he’s looked a step slower this year since tearing his ACL last October. You’ll remember Danny Gray, I expect us to involve him a lot in screens and some gadget run plays to keep the TCU pass rush at bay…he can absolutely fly but his hands are suspect at best. Rashee Rice has probably been our most reliable WR so far this year. Jordan Kerley is an ASU transfer who caught his first TD last week and should get more involved as the season progresses; the coaches are quite high on him as he’s big and has some wheels.

TEs: Former All-Big 12 TE Grant Calcaterra medically retired at OU but has since resurfaced on the Hilltop and is one of Mordecai’s favorite targets; I’d expect to hear his name often on Saturday. ASU transfer Nolan Matthews should also get a few targets but will be more involved as a blocker.

OL: Easily the biggest disappointment through three games. Four senior starters and they’ve been pretty meh against the likes of University of North Texas and La Tech, and I suspect TCU’s DL is a tad better than those two teams. If #78 Beau Morris is in the game at any time, you can expect to see a TCU defender in the backfield.

DL: I thought this group would be a strength heading into this season, but they’ve been pretty meh as well. We run a base 3-4, nose tackle Mike Williams was a former two-year starter at Stanford who mans the middle for us, Elijah Chatman and Devere LEvelston are serviceable on the ends. That being said, TCU’s OL should be able to push this group around and create some space for Evans to operate.

LBs: Delano Robinson is back for seemingly his 8th year on the Hilltop and will start at one of the ILB spots; former Oregon starter Isaac Slade-Matutia will likely either start or see most of the snaps at the other ILB spot. He just transferred here in mid-August and is still getting acclimated but is a player. On the edge, Nelson Paul had an ungodly 98.5 rating on PFF last game vs La Tech; I, uh, dont expect him to repeat that on Saturday but we will need him making plays in the backfield to have a chance.

DBs: True freshman safety Isaiah Nwokobia has 2 INTs through 3 games (and should’ve had #3 last week). The rest of the group has played so poorly that I’m not going to write anything else about them.

Prediction: I expect SMU to run some quick hit plays early to try and keep TCU’s pass rush honest. Mordecai is going to have to extend plays and hit shots down the field. I think you can absolutely expect a trick play or two as I just haven’t seen anything from our OL that makes me think we can line up and go straight at a defense like TCU. Defensively, I expect we’ll load the box, try and take Evans away as best as possible and force Duggan to beat us vertically with his arm. He should have some open receivers as our DBs have mostly been garbage. I will say 34-23 TCU.

Turkey burgers are actually pretty good.

SuperTFrog

I think we okay with our food in the first half and are within 5 points either way. Then I’m the second half we pull a “I too am left handed” and whip that ass in the second. Our players are just too athletic and Duggan isn’t a freshman anymore. Lots of points scored in this one. TCU wins 47-31.

Froginbedford

Me thinks he doth protest too much....But Frogs win closer than his prediction....