• The KillerFrogs

11 am kickoff for UT

Wexahu

If you look at the games where we had the best atmosphere, virtually entirely at night.

BYU in 2008 or whenever, Utah 2009, KState 2014(?), Baylor 2015 (despite the weather).

OU 2014 is the only awesome atmosphere game I can remember during the day, and it was 2:30

I thought UT in 2015 was pretty damn good.

Baylor 2015 would have been a good atmosphere if it was played at 8:00 AM.

Night games are good, I just think we make a little too much of them here. It's not that big a deal.

tcumaniac

I find it entertaining how many people on this board get off to pointing out how insignificant this is in the grand scheme of life. No [ #2020 ], it is.

But relative to how this affects the attendance of the game, our overall atmosphere, and tailgating for those that pay good money for parking passes, this sucks so much and is absolutely terrible. Especially considering this is likely the last time we host the longhorns in a long time. Possibly last time in the lifetime of many posters on this board.

tcumaniac

I thought UT in 2015 was pretty damn good.

Baylor 2015 would have been a good atmosphere if it was played at 8:00 AM.

Night games are good, I just think we make a little too much of them here. It's not that big a deal.
Every once in a while you have rational posts that start to convince me that your asisine opinion of Ohio State deserving the 2014 playoff spot more than us is just a one off, stupid opinion. But then you post things like this.

The difference between an 11am game versus a night game against a hated opponent like the longhorns is a VERY big deal.

I don't know where you live, but I think it's pretty clear you don't actually attend TCU football games. You just watch on TV, so sure, not a very dig deal to you.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I find it entertaining how many people on this board get off to pointing out how insignificant this is in the grand scheme of life. No [ #2020 ], it is.

But relative to how this affects the attendance of the game, our overall atmosphere, and tailgating for those that pay good money for parking passes, this sucks so much and is absolutely terrible.
Well, like somebody pointed out up-thread, we don't have any say in the matter. TV pays the bills, and therefore calls the tune as to when we kick off. They tell us, not the other way around.

And yes, it sucks. Sucks big green donkey balls. But, TCU likes that moola, and so we tell the TV people "Thank you, sir! Please make out that check to..."

As an aside (and thread hijacking...), I am curious about FOX and the dilution of the BIGXII, what with the engineered exit of OUT by the connivance of ESPN. I know that Bowlsby had ESPN dead to rights if he chose to sue for tampering, but it seems that FOX has an even better case.

Eight

Every once in a while you have rational posts that start to convince me that your asisine opinion of Ohio State deserving the 2014 playoff spot more than us is just a one off, stupid opinion. But then you post things like this.

The difference between an 11am game versus a night game against a hated opponent like the longhorns is a VERY big deal.

I don't know where you live, but I think it's pretty clear you don't actually attend TCU football games. You just watch on TV, so sure, not a very dig deal to you.

curious, when was the last time tcu played the hated texas at night in ft worth since there is a significant difference in the game time atmosphere

found it, 2017, so how different was the crowd then versus say 2019 or 2015?

Last edited:

Wexahu

I go to basically all of them, so you'd be wrong about that. I think I've missed 2-3 games in the last 10 years.

What exactly do you mean by "very big deal"? In what way? And to who?

HFrog12

But relative to how this affects the attendance of the game, our overall atmosphere, and tailgating for those that pay good money for parking passes, this sucks so much and is absolutely terrible. Especially considering this is likely the last time we host the longhorns in a long time. Possibly last time in the lifetime of many posters on this board.

Agree here. If this likely wasn't the last time hosting UT in the Carter I probably would be less heart broken. I will still drive from Houston like intended and lose my voice but I was really hoping for an epic night game. Shoot even 2:30 makes that much of a difference. An 11:00am crowd is just tough and that's not just a TCU problem. This is a big bummer and I can't sunshine pump this. That being said, if we stomp them again then I might need some KFC chaperones because the rest of the day I will be tearing up Ft. Worth.

Eight

Big rain delay that game if I remember correctly.

thanks, the 2013 game was also at night and i believe that is their only win in ft worth and apparently that was the big rain delay game

"There was a weather delay of 3 hours, 6 minutes after officials stopped the game in the second quarter Saturday night because of lightning that was part of an approaching storm. The game resumed just after 11 p.m., and ended after 12:30 a.m."

Wexahu

thanks, the 2013 game was also at night and i believe that is their only win in ft worth and apparently that was the big rain delay game

"There was a weather delay of 3 hours, 6 minutes after officials stopped the game in the second quarter Saturday night because of lightning that was part of an approaching storm. The game resumed just after 11 p.m., and ended after 12:30 a.m."

All the UT games in FW have been very good in terms of energy in the stadium and "atmosphere". What our record is and who the opponent is matters WAY more than what time the game is played.

I just hope we win, that's literally all I care about. Everything else takes care of itself and will be fine. Look at it this way, temperature at kickoff should be perfect.

HFrog1999

Well, like somebody pointed out up-thread, we don't have any say in the matter. TV pays the bills, and therefore calls the tune as to when we kick off. They tell us, not the other way around.

And yes, it sucks. Sucks big green donkey balls. But, TCU likes that moola, and so we tell the TV people "Thank you, sir! Please make out that check to..."

As an aside (and thread hijacking...), I am curious about FOX and the dilution of the BIGXII, what with the engineered exit of OUT by the connivance of ESPN. I know that Bowlsby had ESPN dead to rights if he chose to sue for tampering, but it seems that FOX has an even better case.

I wonder how much per game TCU earns from attendance vs how much from TV?

I do hate how TV scheduling has hurt attendance, not just at TCU but many other schools.

Wexahu

One positive is if TCU can win the highlights run during other games all day long, the time sucks but kick their arses early and allow the rest of the country to see it over and over.

This is actually a decent point. I do think by 9:00 on Saturday night a whole lot of people around the country are kind of footballed out. Literally every college football fan is pumped when those 11:00 games start.

Last edited: