• The KillerFrogs

Disappointed in the Band

Putt4Purple

It’s a Band Thread (and I didn’t even start it) so yes, the D lingers like old fish. I predict this thread will pass to unther-lands once Frogs secure a Pony victory.

And thus the reason for a pathetic band TCU has. No one cares. Not pointing fingers. Just a fact. No band changes.

Froglaw

The points Brevity brings up have been heard before. The TCU Band needs to bump up the brass. The issue is, we simply don't have enough players to do so. We'd have to literally let non-students in, or part-time students, just to fill out the ranks. That's not anything shocking, other Bands do the same thing. TCU so far hasn't seen the need. After all, there's that giant sound system and video screen blaring commercials and "Kiss-Cam" during frequent play stoppages. The Band is pretty danged superfluous in these sad times...

As to musical selection, show design, which side do you play to, etc., these matters are decided by the Band Director and Assistant Director. Both of these people are very likely cloistered musicians with little thought given to the larger issues commanding the day.

If you want brass, go to the SMU game.

If you want "patriotic", go to college station.

I like our band.

DubaiFrog

Texas schools by enrollment:

Texas A&M 64k
UT Austin 51k
Houston 46k
UTA 43k
University of North Texas 39k
Texas State 38k
Tech 38k

Tech is 7th apparently

Speaking of UTA, they still have a marching band but no football team. Seems like a win/win to combine the 2 bands.

Gives the UTA band kids a performance venue, get to be on TV, go to big time college football ect. And TCU would double the size of their band at home games overnight.

Also the $3k stipend would go a lot further as a % of UTA's tuition vs TCU. Would be a much bigger incentive for those students.

https://www.uta.edu/academics/schoo...partments/music/ensembles/bands/marching-band

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Guys, please. Stop it with the "SMU Band is louder!" nonsense. Yes, they make a lot of noise. And no, it isn't good noise. They "blast" their sound, which makes it blatty and harsh, not the clean and strong tones of a good musician. Aside from the ghastly music they play, their tone makes me cringe. Just awful...

This is one of the many reasons I am sad for the TCU Band. We have good to excellent musicians, just not very many of them. Especially not in the Brass department. Various solutions have been posited in the thread, but the fact remains that for at least this year, we will have a woodwind-heavy "marching" Band that can't be heard over the Coke commercials.

Eight

Guys, please. Stop it with the "SMU Band is louder!" nonsense. Yes, they make a lot of noise. And no, it isn't good noise. They "blast" their sound, which makes it blatty and harsh, not the clean and strong tones of a good musician. Aside from the ghastly music they play, their tone makes me cringe. Just awful...

This is one of the many reasons I am sad for the TCU Band. We have good to excellent musicians, just not very many of them. Especially not in the Brass department. Various solutions have been posited in the thread, but the fact remains that for at least this year, we will have a woodwind-heavy "marching" Band that can't be heard over the Coke commercials.

this might be the ultimate band nerd response

FrogCop19

this might be the ultimate band nerd response
images

Eight

Well, some of us do indeed hear the music. Others do not. Not a slam, not a dig, just the way things are.

get back to me when they finally put all those xylophones to use and start playing sandstorm before the kick off instead of blaring it over the sound system

Last edited:

Jared7

The reason for the SMU bands' terrible sound is because they bend the horns of their instruments upward so that it points towards the crowd and sounds "louder" due to the trajectory of the sound. That is, they deliberately deform trumpets and trombones and consciously distort the sound that was designed to be produced just for the *appearance* of "sounding" louder. It's really awful musically and is immediately discernible to anyone who knows how a brass instrument should sound. And then they play "she'll be coming round the mountain" all the time...

I was in the band (and KKY) and, back when the FFF first started in 1997-8, I used to jump right in and defend the band in all the annual band hating threads. I have long since learned that "Band Haters gonna Band Hate" regardless of what you say, so why bother? I like the TCU band and enjoy hearing it all the time. Count me as a band fan and lifelong supporter.

BrewingFrog

But our band is much better at playing Clair de'lune and Moonlight sonata than the SMU band will ever be.
Oh, would that they could. While we do have an excellent relationship with the local Steinway dealership, I can't think they'd be too terribly enthusiastic about us taking a Big Ol' Grand for a spin on the hallowed grass of Amon G. Carter Stadium.

But it is lovely... (Turn it up. It is simply a beautiful piece of music.)

BrewingFrog

get back to me when they finally put all those xylophones to use and start playing sandstorm before the kick off instead of blaring it over the sound system

As you know, if I was named Head Tyrannical Dictator and Grand University Poo-Bah, I would burn the JumboTron and Sound System to the ground and piss on the ashes. I hate that damned thing with the white-hot passion of a thousand suns. Second thing, I would fire just about everybody connected with the "Marching Band" and get somebody who knew what the hell they were doing, and re-vamp the entire outfit with a bunch of paid kids from local H.S. programs, J.C. kids, and just about anybody else who can blow a horn and wants to put on a show. March a good 250-300 strong, brass heavy Band. 6-5 marching. Lots of Sousa.

Hand out little packets of ear plugs with the TCU Band logo on them. "Get ready!"

But, I am not in line to have such authority, so nobody gets a free drink at kickoff ("Must be present to win!") and you will be forever cursed to have your eardrums bashed in for 3 1/2 hours on Football Saturdays because that's what the "entertainment" types think everybody wants. As a certified curmudgeon (A damned annoying process, let me tell you...), I don't like bad "music" beating the hell out of my increasingly useless ears and paying a pile of money for the privilege. Screw that. I have a pool and an app, and can listen to the dulcet tones of the good Mr. Estridge instead of being regaled with "Kiss Cam" and a ton of annoying advertising.

So there.

Oh, would that they could. While we do have an excellent relationship with the local Steinway dealership, I can't think they'd be too terribly enthusiastic about us taking a Big Ol' Grand for a spin on the hallowed grass of Amon G. Carter Stadium.

But it is lovely... (Turn it up. It is simply a beautiful piece of music.)

That version of Clair de Lune over the sound system could be a quirky, cool tradition—an interlude one time each game, at a different time each game. Captures people’s attention, stops some in their tracks, and how do you not like that song. Have a gripping accompanying visual on the video board. It worked at the end of Ocean’s Eleven. Or get the TCU orchestra to record a version, and they would be part of or all of the accompanying video.

Last edited:

Jumbotron

As you know, if I was named Head Tyrannical Dictator and Grand University Poo-Bah, I would burn the JumboTron and Sound System to the ground and piss on the ashes. I hate that damned thing with the white-hot passion of a thousand suns. Second thing, I would fire just about everybody connected with the "Marching Band" and get somebody who knew what the hell they were doing, and re-vamp the entire outfit with a bunch of paid kids from local H.S. programs, J.C. kids, and just about anybody else who can blow a horn and wants to put on a show. March a good 250-300 strong, brass heavy Band. 6-5 marching. Lots of Sousa.

Hand out little packets of ear plugs with the TCU Band logo on them. "Get ready!"

But, I am not in line to have such authority, so nobody gets a free drink at kickoff ("Must be present to win!") and you will be forever cursed to have your eardrums bashed in for 3 1/2 hours on Football Saturdays because that's what the "entertainment" types think everybody wants. As a certified curmudgeon (A damned annoying process, let me tell you...), I don't like bad "music" beating the hell out of my increasingly useless ears and paying a pile of money for the privilege. Screw that. I have a pool and an app, and can listen to the dulcet tones of the good Mr. Estridge instead of being regaled with "Kiss Cam" and a ton of annoying advertising.

So there.

scheiss you