• The KillerFrogs

FWST: ‘There is no wrong.’ TCU’s Patterson delivers NIL message to local business leaders

Eight

Oh he absolutely used to fly kids around on the Jarvis family private jet (Courtney Hawkins, Nick Williams, CJ Hinojosa). Banditos kinda lost their mojo after the whole Ray D soliciting prostitution arrest.

there is a name i hadn't heard or thought about in some time. think i heard the son never got very far in the minors

people talk about the influence aau has on basketball, but for a time there it sure was interesting to see how travel baseball influenced which high school in nw houston some kids attended regardless of say they lived east of 45 or maybe west of 249 or even all the way out to the woodlands

"Patterson didn’t mention the player by name, but said there are multiple SEC schools still calling one of his highly touted freshmen on the roster.

“There’s five SEC schools calling him and telling him, ‘Here’s what we’ll give you if you come here and not stay at TCU,’” Patterson said. “At the end of the day, that’s just real life. If we don’t do anything about it, within a year we lose him.

“The rules have changed. There is no wrong anymore."

The thing to me is the players kind of have the best of both worlds. They can get paid then leave at the drop of a hat. College football needs to go to a contract system if they're going to be able to get money like pros. If so, they need to be contractually obligated to the school they go to then.

Prime BEEF

2 year minimum commitment once you sign with a school and reinstall the sit out a year if you want to transfer rule. That would add a ton of stability and bring some order to this chaos.

but…who would be the enforcer of those rules now? The ncaa is hiding…doubt they would or could.

Wexahu

Another thing….let’s say a player’s agent who negotiated an NLI deal offers a professor $20k for a grade to keep his kid eligible so his NIL deal holds up. Does he take it? Better yet, does anyone care anymore if a kid doesn’t make his grades? Is that kind of a thing of the past?

froginmn

2 year minimum commitment once you sign with a school and reinstall the sit out a year if you want to transfer rule. That would add a ton of stability and bring some order to this chaos.

but…who would be the enforcer of those rules now? The ncaa is hiding…doubt they would or could.
The thing that strikes me about this development is how quickly it came about, and how little thought has been given to the details.

My understanding is that a kid can be paid for use of his name, image, or likeness. What I think that means is that you can compensate a kid for appearing on a billboard in a commercial, a jersey with his name and number, etc. (maybe signing autographs?).

What I assume it doesn't allow is $100 handshakes and the like. The NCAA still supposedly has purview over that, and the IRS does as well.

I assume that for a kid to get paid legally and within the rules, it would need to be run through a business. Which means 1099's and very trackable income, as opposed to a "gift".

Obviously people can and will try to get around that, but between the IRS and the NCAA, wouldn't a kid have someone to answer to if he accepts money that doesn't come through a company?

flyfishingfrog

The thing that strikes me about this development is how quickly it came about, and how little thought has been given to the details.

My understanding is that a kid can be paid for use of his name, image, or likeness. What I think that means is that you can compensate a kid for appearing on a billboard in a commercial, a jersey with his name and number, etc. (maybe signing autographs?).

What I assume it doesn't allow is $100 handshakes and the like. The NCAA still supposedly has purview over that, and the IRS does as well.

I assume that for a kid to get paid legally and within the rules, it would need to be run through a business. Which means 1099's and very trackable income, as opposed to a "gift".

Obviously people can and will try to get around that, but between the IRS and the NCAA, wouldn't a kid have someone to answer to if he accepts money that doesn't come through a company?
Come to my sons birthday next month - here is $1000

will you record a “hello” message for my grandson? Here is $500

what I learned the other night is that a structured, well defined deal like Miami is getting setup would help and will probably become more of the standard but there are no real rules

froginmn

Yes you do. At least that’s what I’ve been told
Right, and it's the way it is in my wife's business. So you'd have a catch-22. If the kid has unreported income, the IRS could come after him AND anyone who paid more than $599 without issuing a 1099.

If the payer tries to claim it was a gift, the kid would then be in violation of the NCAA rules for accepting a gift. Seems like there is a lot to be figured out yet.

Moose Stuff

Come to my sons birthday next month - here is $1000

will you record a “hello” message for my grandson? Here is $500

what I learned the other night is that a structured, well defined deal like Miami is getting setup would help and will probably become more of the standard but there are no real rules

I’m aware of instances of things exactly like this already happening.

HFrog1999

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

In the past boosters gave money under the table and the ROI for the booster was stroking his own ego.

Under the new rules, I think the companies will want an ROI on their advertising investment. I think there will be a learning curve where a lot of companies get burned by signing deals with “paper tigers” who transfer or don’t even see the field

froginmn

I’m aware of instances of things exactly like this already happening.
Right and if it's more than $599 in a year, the "employer" needs to issue a 1099. And regardless of individual amounts, the recipient will need to claim the income. I imagine there will be eventual fallout from that (maybe when the player goes on to the NFL and clearly has the ability to settle).

Changing the "enforcement agency" from the NCAA to the IRS could get interesting, and whistle blowing might have more teeth.

Last edited: