• The KillerFrogs

Saturday Down South: TCU coach calls on boosters to make NIL deals, keep recruits from going to SEC

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU coach calls on boosters to make NIL deals, keep recruits from going to SEC

Jake Rill

The college football world changed with the introduction of the NCAA’s new name, image and likeness rules earlier this year. Student-athletes are now able to profit from their popularity and the attention they garner by signing brand deals.

TCU hosted an NIL event on Wednesday night, during which Horned Frogs head coach Gary Patterson discussed how these new rules are even impacting recruiting as they try to convince players to come to their program.

“In taxes, do you do short form or do you do deductions? I can promise you there’s nobody in this room that does the short form,” Patterson said, per Drew Davison of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “That’s what I’m talking about in recruiting. Everybody lives in the gray area. Everybody in this room lives in the gray area. The bottom line to it is we’re going to have to live in the gray area if we want to keep up.”

Read more at https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...ke-nil-deals-keep-recruits-from-going-to-sec/

HFrog1999

I use the short form

rs_300x227-160413130127-tax_gif_1.gif

BABYFACE

There were some that screamed that players shouldn’t have to sit out a year if they transfer. Rule change, now they don’t. There were some that screamed players should get compensation. Rule change, the NIL is ushered in. What do you get when put those two together? Other programs can offer players on TCU’s roster money to come play at their university and said player doesn’t have to sit a year in the transfer. Not evening mentioning on the recruiting aspect in this.

Yeah, I am calling you out. Your philosophy is based in idealism rather than the reality at hand. Thus, this always leads to unintended consequences. Hope you’re happy.

Frozen Frog

There were jokes about the Eric Dickerson pay cuts to go to the NFL. It's only a matter of time before a player actually has to take a pay cut to play in the NFL since all his eligibility is used. The SEC has been working on how to pay players for since the 70s. The SWC just got caught! Now the SEC is focused on dominating this market. I guess they would rather buy football players than library books.

Ryan Day and others have opined on these issues. The problem is NIL is unregulated. There is no limit as to what a booster can pay anyone. Certain players make way more while others struggle based on name and position. You've got kids coming from well off families making large amounts of money while others who might be coming from low income situations who end up making nothing. Both players are starting! Let's not even open the Title IX issues right now. How many female athletes do you see signing 6 figure deals?! I am waiting for the day when a booster demands a kid start due to the NIL money they are paying them. How about when a kid refuses to play as they prep for whatever even though they are making money through NIL?

Something has to change. Maybe the NIL money needs to go to the school where it can be equally distributed. Maybe it needs to be put in escrow accounts where it only gets distributed after graduation. This was meant to help kids be able to afford what they needed in school and to work extra jobs. It has turned in to a racket.

Eight

There were jokes about the Eric Dickerson pay cuts to go to the NFL. It's only a matter of time before a player actually has to take a pay cut to play in the NFL since all his eligibility is used. The SEC has been working on how to pay players for since the 70s. The SWC just got caught! Now the SEC is focused on dominating this market. I guess they would rather buy football players than library books.

Ryan Day and others have opined on these issues. The problem is NIL is unregulated. There is no limit as to what a booster can pay anyone. Certain players make way more while others struggle based on name and position. You've got kids coming from well off families making large amounts of money while others who might be coming from low income situations who end up making nothing. Both players are starting! Let's not even open the Title IX issues right now. How many female athletes do you see signing 6 figure deals?! I am waiting for the day when a booster demands a kid start due to the NIL money they are paying them. How about when a kid refuses to play as they prep for whatever even though they are making money through NIL?

Something has to change. Maybe the NIL money needs to go to the school where it can be equally distributed. Maybe it needs to be put in escrow accounts where it only gets distributed after graduation. This was meant to help kids be able to afford what they needed in school and to work extra jobs. It has turned in to a racket.

first, the swc didn['t get caught, the swc turned each other in and the difference there is that the sec has understood they are stronger together than looking out for themselves which wasn't the way of the swc

as far as regulating the nil, the ncaa had more than enough time to try to come to some middle ground on this and instead clung to the amateur athlete charade and that got crushed by the courts.

the only way the nil ever becomes regulated is if the schools form some type of association and the players are represented in a common group which i highly doubt happens because you have too many running the colleges who won't admit to the truth about what college sports have grown into for some programs

finally, the schools hold the nil money? great, another administrative layer that does nothing but exist and thrives off the amateur athletes

4 Oaks Frog

There were some that screamed that players shouldn’t have to sit out a year if they transfer. Rule change, now they don’t. There were some that screamed players should get compensation. Rule change, the NIL is ushered in. What do you get when put those two together? Other programs can offer players on TCU’s roster money to come play at their university and said player doesn’t have to sit a year in the transfer. Not evening mentioning on the recruiting aspect in this.

Yeah, I am calling you out. Your philosophy is based in idealism rather than the reality at hand. Thus, this always leads to unintended consequences. Hope you’re happy.
Quick! Somebody open up a pipeline to Zack Evans right away!!!!
GO FROGS!
BEAT SCHMU!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and fornicate baylor!!

Prime BEEF

I agree with getting rid of the sitting out a year to transfer rule…pre NIL. But that was a different world then. Now that we have NIL I think that rule should be brought back. Would help bring some sense of order back to this chaos.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Quick! Somebody open up a pipeline to Zack Evans right away!!!!
GO FROGS!
BEAT SCHMU!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and fornicate baylor!!
Agreed... but at the same time, while I don't know the kid personally, it seems to me like the person he is now is more loyal/grateful than many college athletes.

Wexahu

I agree with getting rid of the sitting out a year to transfer rule…pre NIL. But that was a different world then. Now that we have NIL I think that rule should be brought back. Would help bring some sense of order back to this chaos.

It never made any sense, pre or post NIL. How the hell is a coach supposed to build and run a program if someone can just steal his players every year?

I’ll ask yet again, name me a successful team sports league in which players can move freely from team to team every year?

There simply HAS to be serious limitations put on it or the sport will be a joke.