• The KillerFrogs

FWST: ‘There is no wrong.’ TCU’s Patterson delivers NIL message to local business leaders

Froggish

Starts higher, unfortunately... If you asked V-Bo today, he would give you some answer that sounds like, "Within the rules, I support our alumni supporting our student-athletes, TCU wants to compete at a high level, etc..."

However, the hard truth is, over the last six months and into the summer, V-Bo, university compliance officials and lawyers, and several key board members were MUCH more reticent and that commentary floated out to prominent boosters. Too conservative, too worried about the University's image, etc. etc...

NIL is actually right up Donati's ally, but he can only do and say what his boss and the University compliance office allow him to. This started VERY conservative and has now loosened up thanks to coaches sounding the alarm, but it's hard to turn that boat, and to break through years of scar tissue of boosters being yelled at by compliance if they put one pinky out of line.

Going from running a "tight house" to barreling into the wild west full steam is a big change, much bigger than some expected for TCU.

Talking about barreling and actually barreling are two different things. It is encouraging that the messaging has suddenly did a 180

Moose Stuff

tampering is nothing new, heck the ncaa never has had anyway to control contact via the dead periods via texas and dm's let alone third parties as well as during the school year

what is new is the rules of the game or the lack of said rules and that is the biggest frustration in this all. tcu chose to move up the conference ladder each time, the school didn't have to make the jump, and when we did each time there was a requirement for more resources and actions that just doesn't diminish.

if the powers to be at tcu decided to slow play the entire nil development that is a very big concern because if they aren't even going to allow their programs to try to compete in a similar matter of other programs then we should have just said we want to drop down when OUT heads for the sec

I would guess that the “tampering” mostly consists of players talking to players. I have a hard time believing that coaches contacting players on other teams is a common thing but maybe I’m naive.

westoverhillbilly

At the NIL event last night, I saw a few folks who control large publicly traded and private concerns who I believe will do more than their part to see to it that TCU's recruits and athletes get properly nourished. In the 40+ years I've been following TCU sports, I've always been amazed at how TCU gets enough supporters to come through to give the programs enough resources to compete, but they somehow have- it was just that the administration was too lilly white until the SWC blew apart then got it in gear. TCU punches way above its weight class with regard to having wealthy and influential supporters.

What wasn't reported from last night was that Gary said that NIL is old business for the SEC- that they've been at this for many years. Gary was in rare form last night- he asked Dixon about his turnover last year and said he could see a large turnover in football if we don't get it in gear. Dixon replied that replacing 9 of his 13 scholarship players was not unheard of in today's environment and that he's used to NIL in that it's occurred in youth boys' basketball for decades- sponsorships and endorsements.

The 2% Gary was referring to had to do with the qb from Southlake who had parents that could hire an agent to get him the best NIL deal while the other 98% don't have this kind of knowledge.

One of the Neely guys spoke and said that we're poised for alot of success in NIL in that we have the 3 key ingredients that alot of others don't have- we're in a huge market, we have an football program that has been successful for a long time and access to those that can/will support the NIL needs of TCU.

Moose Stuff

At the NIL event last night, I saw a few folks who control large publicly traded and private concerns who I believe will do more than their part to see to it that TCU's recruits and athletes get properly nourished. In the 40+ years I've been following TCU sports, I've always been amazed at how TCU gets enough supporters to come through to give the programs enough resources to compete, but they somehow have- it was just that the administration was too lilly white until the SWC blew apart then got it in gear. TCU punches way above its weight class with regard to having wealthy and influential supporters.

What wasn't reported from last night was that Gary said that NIL is old business for the SEC- that they've been at this for many years. Gary was in rare form last night- he asked Dixon about his turnover last year and said he could see a large turnover in football if we don't get it in gear. Dixon replied that replacing 9 of his 13 scholarship players was not unheard of in today's environment and that he's used to NIL in that it's occurred in youth boys' basketball for decades- sponsorships and endorsements.

The 2% Gary was referring to had to do with the qb from Southlake who had parents that could hire an agent to get him the best NIL deal while the other 98% don't have this kind of knowledge.

One of the Neely guys spoke and said that we're poised for alot of success in NIL in that we have the 3 key ingredients that alot of others don't have- we're in a huge market, we have an football program that has been successful for a long time and access to those that can/will support the NIL needs of TCU.

I’m cautiously optimistic but operating more on an “I’ll believe it when I see it” basis.

Froggish

I would guess that the “tampering” mostly consists of players talking to players. I have a hard time believing that coaches contacting players on other teams is a common thing but maybe I’m naive.

Coaches at schools are using their own players to reach out to players in other programs. Read the story of Tre Bradford at LSU. Someone at OU starts calling him and his dad saying..”hey if you hit the portal, you will be the starter at here at OU”…Kid enters the Portal and heads to Norman. 1 Month later LSU players start hitting him up “ there’s been some injuries, transfer back quick and the job is yours!” They we’re even savvy enough to tell him he could play right away because he hadn’t been to 14 practices yet. It’s like transfer never happened .

Don’t get me wrong. I would imagine we will also get a couple of kids like this as well but it’s just kind of crazy right now

Frog-in-law1995

As long as there is an 85 scholly limit, I'm cautiously optimistic we can figure out how to navigate this well enough to stay competitive. It is likely there will be some market inefficiencies/opportunities that arise we can take advantage of.

But that’s just it. With NIL money, scholarship limits are worthless. I’ll be a walk on, just pay me $60k per year more than you’d pay me as a scholarship kid.

Pharm Frog

So basically what we do on a regular basis. Gary’s point was dead on. Did he exaggerate to make it? Sure. I usually don’t care for that from him but in this instance I applaud it. He needed to get people’s attention and saying we could lose 3-5 players wouldn’t have done that AT ALL.

I agree with you but doesn’t that seem at complete odds with what we’ve been told VBo and other leadership has been saying? Is this GP’s shot at the administration? I don’t really care but it does seem fun…

jake102

I agree with you but doesn’t that seem at complete odds with what we’ve been told VBo and other leadership has been saying? Is this GP’s shot at the administration? I don’t really care but it does seem fun…

It doesn't matter what leadership says. I don't care what Vbo says, his opinion is of no difference to me. If my company wants to pay Duggan $10K to support the brand, that's between Duggan and I. What's VBo going to do? Call me and yell at me?

Pharm Frog

It doesn't matter what leadership says. I don't care what Vbo says, his opinion is of no difference to me. If my company wants to pay Duggan $10K to support the brand, that's between Duggan and I. What's VBo going to do? Call me and yell at me?

You don't care and neither do I. But let me ask you this....would you care if your boss said to wait and to funnel all things like this to compliance and such? Then would you care?

jake102

You don't care and neither do I. But let me ask you this....would you care if your boss said to wait and to funnel all things like this to compliance and such? Then would you care?

huh? Why would my boss say that? Maybe we are talking about two different things