• The KillerFrogs

FWST: ‘There is no wrong.’ TCU’s Patterson delivers NIL message to local business leaders

NIL highlights why TCU should have been all in on basketball decades ago. The school needs national exposure via a front porch that the school can compete in. That is basketball. But now boosters have spent 300 million on a football stadium while the 1960 vintage Daniel Meyer seating bowl got lipstick.

Last edited:

Pharm Frog

Presuming this is true, please, just go do it. Literally call and ask for the baseball roster, sports information can provide it, and then your group should just go put deals in place with each player. Do it tomorrow... I promise, TCU will not do anything but thank you (privately, of course).

The roster isn’t updated yet and make future payments contingent upon intelligent baserunning, the ability to score a runner from 3rd with less than two outs, and hits allowed in 0-2 counts.

Pharm Frog

NIL highlights why TCU should have been all in on basketball decades ago. The school needs national exposure via a front porch that the school can compete in. That would be basketball. But now boosters have spent 300 million on a football stadium while the 1960 vintage Daniel Meyer seating bowl got lipstick.

This may very well be true. Takes much less “investment” to snag difference-making players. Don’t need nearly as many to get good. Should be awesome in tennis, golf, and equestrian as well…maybe beach volleyball. Gonna have to choose the investments AND what happens when the funding cow of football declines????

Wexahu

You changed the debate... "They won't want to donate if we aren't competitive..." Well, of course this creates frustration, but the answer is not that they stop donating, the answer is they start making calls and push the coach out! Hello, the University of Texas Football Team.

I'm not sure what you mean by changing the debate. The rules have changed and they will make it much, much harder for us to compete. And I think the changes are going to make it less likely (over time) at schools like TCU that boosters continue to donate large amounts to the athletic programs. That's the point I'm making. That was literally the debate.

JogginFrog

TCU has a world-class entrepreneurship program. I think TCU ought to play the long game here and not the short game. What better time to tell these guys that the sharks are buying, not selling, among college athletes, and the kids can sign an agreement and make a little in college while lining other guys' pockets...or they can learn how to take control of their personal brand, max out long-term earnings, and develop the ability to not only help themselves but others as well.

I'm glad Neely and the athletics department have a partnership, but I think they need to go way beyond that. Every major recruit needs to be routed into an NIL-specific track in the entrepreneurship program (and away from exercise science). Local businesses should route seed funding to them through that program and see what kind of business they can create for themselves.

I don't have anything against Opendorse--or know anything about it really--and I think you need to keep an outsourcing option in place for those who don't want to put in the work. But the way for TCU to compete in this space isn't helping athletes pick up $500-$1,000 a month for fake value, but to turn them into business creators rather than customers.

Frogs will still lose out on guys, and some will transfer, but that's a sales pitch that will play, and has the added advantage of working with the university's mission and not against it.

Eight

Gonna be REAL hard to convince boosters to throw money at this, unless some rules are put in place that gives us even a fighting chance. Rich people are usually smart enough to identify a terrible investment.

lawrence stroll has dropped mid 9 figures into buying a racing team, and a quarter of ashton martin for no other reason than to make sure his son has a drive in f1.

dmitry mazepin is pumping money into the least competitive racing team in f1 simply so his son nikkita can have his drive though it seems likely he will only have to spend in the mid 8 figures

emotional attachments often times over ride reasonable decisions

Frog-in-law1995

TCU has a world-class entrepreneurship program. I think TCU ought to play the long game here and not the short game. What better time to tell these guys that the sharks are buying, not selling, among college athletes, and the kids can sign an agreement and make a little in college while lining other guys' pockets...or they can learn how to take control of their personal brand, max out long-term earnings, and develop the ability to not only help themselves but others as well.

I'm glad Neely and the athletics department have a partnership, but I think they need to go way beyond that. Every major recruit needs to be routed into an NIL-specific track in the entrepreneurship program (and away from exercise science). Local businesses should route seed funding to them through that program and see what kind of business they can create for themselves.

I don't have anything against Opendorse--or know anything about it really--and I think you need to keep an outsourcing option in place for those who don't want to put in the work. But the way for TCU to compete in this space isn't helping athletes pick up $500-$1,000 a month for fake value, but to turn them into business creators rather than customers.

Frogs will still lose out on guys, and some will transfer, but that's a sales pitch that will play, and has the added advantage of working with the university's mission and not against it.

How is this different than just going back to trying to sell kids on the quality of the education?

Pharm Frog

Interesting idea. First, can you open a degree program exclusively for “high-end recruits”? I know the Higher Education Coordinating Board answer. What says AACSB? Secondly, isn’t this what “high-end recruits” hire agents for?

Pharm Frog

How is this different than just going back to trying to sell kids on the quality of the education?

He’s trying to reconcile school mission with process which I applaud that attempt. Unlike the majority here I presume I also applaud VBo and others being reluctant and reticent on this stuff. It smells ugly and even if the school executed early and flawlessly I’m not sure it would work or be sustainable in what’s coming.

Pharm Frog

You changed the debate... "They won't want to donate if we aren't competitive..." Well, of course this creates frustration, but the answer is not that they stop donating, the answer is they start making calls and push the coach out! Hello, the University of Texas Football Team.

Hang on…didn’t you post in the other thread that TCU doesn’t have enough donors who are “obsessed with winning”? Seems like you are linking donation with W/L results.

JogginFrog

Interesting idea. First, can you open a degree program exclusively for “high-end recruits”? I know the Higher Education Coordinating Board answer. What says AACSB? Secondly, isn’t this what “high-end recruits” hire agents for?

Of course, any academic program is open to all students. But if the work involves pitching your ideas to investors on the basis of their relevance to NIL, it would be much more difficult to do it if you aren't also a college athlete. Non-athletes would likely have to team up with athletes on a venture to make it viable.

Would that pass muster? Just making this up as I go.

Edge went thru the Entrepreneurial program (as did I, until I flunked). Looking at his comments: Does not support the argument. I wholeheartedly agree with @Gary's Shirtless Revenge and just do it. I--too--am not a fan of Donati (no surprise) or the recent leadership but just do it.

Actions speak louder than words. Pay the wo(man).

Nick Danger

LOL! All of this kinda' puts your prior concerns about the quality of the band, or game day ambiance/attendance, or competing against Houston as a new conference member, in a different context altogether don't it?

And while we're at it, how does TCU's NIL efforts compare to similar efforts at other conference members? For those that feel that TCU has been "asleep at the wheel' on this, what evidence have you seen that Baylor's or Tech's, or Iowa State, or West Virginia's NIL efforts, if you're even away of any, are light-years ahead of TCU's?