• The KillerFrogs

FWST: ‘There is no wrong.’ TCU’s Patterson delivers NIL message to local business leaders

Wexahu

The only problem is that, over time, the best coaches and the best players (and thus, the winning programs), will all be concentrated to a smaller number of large blue blood programs with the alumni support to pay the players the most. It will not take long for the concentration of resources (players, coaches, and therefore, wins) to all become centrally located to about 30 programs. I would predict one to two recruiting cycles.

Take away the one-time transfer rule and require kids to sit out a year if they change schools, and most of the problems go away. That's the killer with regards to competitive balance IMO.

LVH

Take away the one-time transfer rule and require kids to sit out a year if they change schools, and most of the problems go away. That's the killer with regards to competitive balance IMO.

College Basketball these days is like when you play a sports video game and do a fantasy draft before the season. Pretty much every roster is going to be different year to year because of all these players who think the grass will always be greener.

That Oral Roberts team that was one point away from the Elite 8 last year? Blown up.

Wexahu

Yep. Reinstate transfer rules and I don't think NIL matters that much.

Best idea I've heard, if they want to accommodate kids without making it impossible for a coach at a smaller school to run a program, is to allow a kid to transfer without skipping a year only if the kid played less than a certain percentage of downs for his team. So if a kid isn't getting to play, he's free to go find a place where he can get on the field. But not otherwise. That would be a good compromise IMO. You wouldn't have the more well-heeled programs just plucking players from the have-nots.

LVH

Best idea I've heard, if they want to accommodate kids without making it impossible for a coach at a smaller school to run a program, is to allow a kid to transfer without skipping a year only if the kid played less than a certain percentage of downs for his team. So if a kid isn't getting to play, he's free to go find a place where he can get on the field. But not otherwise. That would be a good compromise IMO. You wouldn't have the more well-heeled programs just plucking players from the have-nots.

I don't see why major college basketball programs need recruiting budgets anymore. Just see who excels in the mid major conferences. That's all you need to do.

Dogfrog

Not gonna happen. The schools that benefit most plus ESPN and the general media will say you are running a plantation.

froginaustin

I and others have posted before, TCU was caught flat-footed in this effort and is way, way behind the major powers.

We need a program that pays every scholarship athlete in CFB, MBB, CBB at least... An 85 man football roster will probably cost about $5 million a year. Who is footing the bill?

Damn. That's around $50+ thousand a year? Too bad for me it's WAY too late to reconsider my college options to be small, slow, not-too-strong or coordinated, and generally unsuited for high school athletics much less college.

Wexahu

Not gonna happen. The schools that benefit most plus ESPN and the general media will say you are running a plantation.

Unfortunately, I think you are right.

It's gonna be interesting to see where this sport is in 10-20 years. Can't imagine it working, but I've been wrong before. I would imagine it's going to be a different kind of fan that is supporting it, that's for sure. Way more t-shirt fans.....younger, less-educated demographic.

Dogfrog

The only way I stay interested long term is just have the guts to declare this direction as not in the best interest of TCU or the student athletes long term. Even if it requires forming a new league of like minded schools. I think the general public will get sick and tired of this revolving door of semi-pro players in the SEC, and there will continue to be a market for watching student athletes. I would literally rather have a league made up of Rice, SMU, Baylor, Tulsa, Tulane, etc. than watch our head coach begging local businesses to pay our players. Nothing against Gary. It’s what he has to do. Just turns my stomach. I also believe there would be a ground swell of interested fans and schools that would surprise people. Short of a bold move like that my interest would wane dramatically.

frogs9497

I am not against the kids getting paid, and more power to them for doing it. Most of these kids will likely never see the pay day that they hoped they would in pro sports, so this offers them a chance to capitalize a little bit on their talent and hard work (beyond the obvious college education, which I think the majority of them do not care much about). I think once this settles out, it will continue to be only a handful of the players that are making significant money. This will likely breed discontent with their teammates and will tear teams apart. I don't think it will be the panacea that many players think it will be. How will the right guard that opened up all of the giant holes so his running back can be a heisman finalist feel when the average fans have no idea who they are yet the running back is making $500,000 to a million from sponsors?
This change will, however, completely alter the landscape of college athletics and I will feel the same amount of loyalty to college sports that I do for pro sports, which is very close to zero.
I would likely stick with kfc for the community that it is, but will care less about the sports aspect of it.

Finally someone who really could care less!

punter9

Amazing model. Let all the middle schools work their ass off recruiting and developing players. Giving them game experience and lots of film.

then the big schools can just effectively hire them for their junior or senior year. Rinse and repeat. Low effort high reward. A model this simple is how Texas could ever be back with as [ Finebaum ]ty as they are with talent.

Big Frog II

I and others have posted before, TCU was caught flat-footed in this effort and is way, way behind the major powers.

We need a program that pays every scholarship athlete in CFB, MBB, CBB at least... An 85 man football roster will probably cost about $5 million a year. Who is footing the bill?
We were caught flat footed because the major powers have been doing this for years. They could get away with it.

Dogfrog

Amazing model. Let all the middle schools work their ass off recruiting and developing players. Giving them game experience and lots of film.

then the big schools can just effectively hire them for their junior or senior year. Rinse and repeat. Low effort high reward. A model this simple is how Texas could ever be back with as [ #2020 ]ty as they are with talent.

Generally agree, but If you are referring to my model, it’s a model designed for players who want a college degree, not one year making $1000 / month, then back to their former life.

Moose Stuff

The first time we lose a proven, star player to NIL transfer is probably when I check out. Thinking like losing Boykin or Doctson between 2014 and 2015 or Dalton between 2009 and 2010 or Hughes between 2008 and 2009 type deal.

It won’t be long, it won’t be isolated, and it won’t be just us it’s happening to.