• The KillerFrogs

Zach Evans- Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week

Froglaw

LT was part of an option offense and was definitely more of a power back that had a next gear that allowed him to turn what looked to be a short gain into long touchdowns

Zach Evans is more shifty and cuts a lot better, is better in space, is not as much of a power back. LT ran up the middle a lot, I still remember his long TD run to start the game against Arkansas State in 2000 where he took a simple run straight up the gut against a stacked box for a 65 yard TD or so. I don't think Zach Evans will see as many stacked boxes as LT saw.

LT was more "Give him the ball, run right at defenders, make them stop it or wear them down"

Zach Evans is more "Get him the ball and make people miss"

What made LT fun is the fact that each time he got the ball you knew he could take it to the house, I feel the same way about Zach Evans.

My most charished memory of LT was against Hawaii at AGCS. This is how I recall the play.

3rd and 8 on the TCU 16 yard line.

TCU gives the ball to LT just off tackle and the Hawaiian defense collapses on him.

My Ole MiSs buddy turns to me and says, "why would you do that?"

About that time LT breaks out of the Scrum and goes the distance to the north end zone.

Still the most impressive run I've ever seen at TCU.

Remember, LT was behind Basil Mitchell for the 1998 season. Basil was an incredible talent in his own right.

LT only had 1999 and 2000 as the starter. Led the NCAA in rushing both years.

Eight

rewatched the game after i was woken up by the wind last night from the storm.

zach had more than one other run where he was a step away from setting sail on a much longer run and he looks just so dangerous in the open field.

the frogs don't have to run him 20+ times, but need to get him that many touches be it runs or catches. he had one catch to the left sideline and max didn't see him early in the game on third down when he slipped out of the back field and was wide open in the middle of the field

he and quentin have this duality about them when they are running in the open field. both seem to catch defenders off guard with their quickness and how smooth they accelerate. on the long td run for zach and the catch and run for the td for quentin they just blew past defenders.

conversely, their agility and quickness might be more comparable to smaller players but they run much more physical and they aren't going down with normal arm tackles.

will also say after watching the game that the frogs' offense left a number of yards and points on the field with missed opportunities and if they sharpen up their execution and build on what they do well this can be a very good offense

Last edited:

CountryFrog

rewatched the game last night after i was woken up by the wind last night from the storm.

zach had more than one other run where he was a step away from setting sail on a much longer run and he looks just so dangerous in the open field.

the frogs don't have to run him 20+ times, but need to get him that many touches be it runs or catches. he had one catch to the left sideline and max didn't see him early in the game on third down when he slipped out of the back field and was wide open in the middle of the field

he and quentin have this duality about them when they are running in the open field. both seem to catch defenders off guard with their quickness and how smooth they accelerate. on the long td run for zach and the catch and run for the td for quentin they just blew past defenders.

conversely, their agility and quickness might be more comparable to smaller players but they run much more physical and they aren't going down with normal arm tackles.

will also say after watching the game that the frogs' offense left a number of yards and points on the field with missed opportunities and if they sharpen up their execution and build on what they do well this can be a very good offense
Agree with everything. This can be our best offense since 2015 by a long shot. And if Max hits any deep balls at all then it could be a comparable unit to those 14 and 15 teams. It'll look a little different with more emphasis on the running game but it has the potential to be that effective.

LVH

My most charished memory of LT was against Hawaii at AGCS. This is how I recall the play.

3rd and 8 on the TCU 16 yard line.

TCU gives the ball to LT just off tackle and the Hawaiian defense collapses on him.

My Ole MiSs buddy turns to me and says, "why would you do that?"

About that time LT breaks out of the Scrum and goes the distance to the north end zone.

Still the most impressive run I've ever seen at TCU.

Remember, LT was behind Basil Mitchell for the 1998 season. Basil was an incredible talent in his own right.

LT only had 1999 and 2000 as the starter. Led the NCAA in rushing both years.

Left this game with my dad early. It was freezing cold that game. One of the coldest October 7ths on record I believe, plus it was raining. Miserable conditions. I still remember Timmy Chang throwing for a TD on the first play of the game.

jake102

Yeah a clear takeaway from the game is that TCU left 14-21 points on the field (and gave away 7) while I couldn’t really spot any huge misses that Cal had. They weren’t perfect but they didn’t miss any wide open deep passes or really make any mistakes.

Game was about as close as it could have been

Eight

Agree with everything. This can be our best offense since 2015 by a long shot. And if Max hits any deep balls at all then it could be a comparable unit to those 14 and 15 teams. It'll look a little different with more emphasis on the running game but it has the potential to be that effective.

there are some things that meacham did and i would imagine will do going forward that i hope to never see again ever, but that isn't my call and i instead am concentrating my message board mental telepathy on getting the offensive staff to use zach and miller more in the passing game

really want to see those two matched against linebackers and safeties in open space

asleep003

Agree with everything. However we are so lucky to also have Miller, so when Evens needs a break or misses a game or 2, the offense is still just as dangerous in the running game, as we know he could take it to the house on any play too.

froglash88

Agree with everything. However we are so lucky to also have Miller, so when Evens needs a break or misses a game or 2, the offense is still just as dangerous in the running game, as we know he could take it to the house on any play too.
I would definitely run with Odds in that case.

Brog

Yeah a clear takeaway from the game is that TCU left 14-21 points on the field (and gave away 7) while I couldn’t really spot any huge misses that Cal had. They weren’t perfect but they didn’t miss any wide open deep passes or really make any mistakes.

Game was about as close as it could have been

someone pointed out that Cal made 5 touchdowns, and if they had just kicked the extra point after each one they would have scored 35, one more than we did. Is that correct? If so, looks like a mistake to me.

hiphopfroggy

someone pointed out that Cal made 5 touchdowns, and if they had just kicked the extra point after each one they would have scored 35, one more than we did. Is that correct? If so, looks like a mistake to me.

And deciding to forego the field goal on the opening drive to go for it on 4th and come away with nothing, whoops.

When LT played his Junior and Senior years every defense was set up to stop him. They keyed on LT put spies on LT every play. It didn’t matter he had an incredible Junior year. TCU actually launched a full Heisman campaign for LT going into his Senior year. Media adds, billboards, advertising, marketing, PR, you name it. Despite every defense saying they were going to stop the run and LT he rushed for over 2000 yards. LT was and I believe still is the only running back to rush for more than 2000 yards and not win the Heisman.

I like Evans a lot, but until he can do what he does with teams trying to stop him, He is not in LT’s league not even close. One thing Evans has is insane hip turn without losing speed. That is god given talent right there. He could be an outstanding cornerback. I hope Evans gets to LT’s level I really do!

Nick Danger

And deciding to forego the field goal on the opening drive to go for it on 4th and come away with nothing, whoops.
On the other hand, having Cal act on even one or two of those "shouda, wouda, coulda" scenarios would have changed the rest of the game, to where you wouldn't have TCU being on their four or five yard line and throwing a "pick six" for example!

Last edited:

SwissArmyFrog

The thing about Evans that really impresses me (above the other things that impress me, haha) is how strong he is to move whatever pile of defenders is on him, forward. He can have 2 or 3 guys on him and the pile can still move forward 2 yards.

In CGP's post-game press conference, he stated he would prefer Evans to carry 10-12 times a game, and let the other backs carry the rest of the load, but added Evans carried more vs. Cal because they needed him to.

CountryFrog

TCU also scored 5 TD's but missed on a 2PAT