• The KillerFrogs

Zach Evans- Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week

Pharm Frog

For those that got to watch LT live and in person, how does Evan’s talent level compare to his?

Far too early to tell IMO. And….completely different offenses so it may obscure some comparisons. But Evans is showing speed, shiftiness, and power running. Also catches passes and his blocking was impressive as well. Don’t recall LT being a part of the passing game.

LVH

For those that got to watch LT live and in person, how does Evan’s talent level compare to his?

LT was part of an option offense and was definitely more of a power back that had a next gear that allowed him to turn what looked to be a short gain into long touchdowns

Zach Evans is more shifty and cuts a lot better, is better in space, is not as much of a power back. LT ran up the middle a lot, I still remember his long TD run to start the game against Arkansas State in 2000 where he took a simple run straight up the gut against a stacked box for a 65 yard TD or so. I don't think Zach Evans will see as many stacked boxes as LT saw.

LT was more "Give him the ball, run right at defenders, make them stop it or wear them down"

Zach Evans is more "Get him the ball and make people miss"

What made LT fun is the fact that each time he got the ball you knew he could take it to the house, I feel the same way about Zach Evans.

Limp Lizard

Nice that he could get those carries and yards, but he is only a true Soph who will get beat up if he carries over 20 per game. We have two excellent backs in Miller and Foster who can do damage if they get their carries, too. It is about the team, not awards.

Wexahu

Nice that he could get those carries and yards, but he is only a true Soph who will get beat up if he carries over 20 per game. We have two excellent backs in Miller and Foster who can do damage if they get their carries, too. It is about the team, not awards.

IMO he should be getting it 20x per game. Tony Dorsett averaged 25 carries per game at Pitt for four seasons. 1,163 carries. And then went on to play in the NFL for 12 years.

Evans has averaged less than 8 per game and will most likely be gone after 3 years of college. He has 81 carries so far. Give him the ball.

mesohornedfrog

one would think with all the big conference money the frogs could afford a crowd mic, but regardless is you missed zach after the game comments:

https://gofrogs.com/watch/?Archive=4025&type=Live

johnston's post game comments are out there as well.

Maybe the most notable thing about this is that Gary let two true Sophomores speak to the media. That doesn't happen very often, nice to see the stars of the game actually get a chance to speak.

Moose Stuff

Maybe the most notable thing about this is that Gary let two true Sophomores speak to the media. That doesn't happen very often, nice to see the stars of the game actually get a chance to speak.

I’d like to think this is a pivot by GP driven by his realization that he’s got to do some things differently to get and keep talent like that.

Pharm Frog

LT was part of an option offense and was definitely more of a power back that had a next gear that allowed him to turn what looked to be a short gain into long touchdowns

Zach Evans is more shifty and cuts a lot better, is better in space, is not as much of a power back. LT ran up the middle a lot, I still remember his long TD run to start the game against Arkansas State in 2000 where he took a simple run straight up the gut against a stacked box for a 65 yard TD or so. I don't think Zach Evans will see as many stacked boxes as LT saw.

LT was more "Give him the ball, run right at defenders, make them stop it or wear them down"

What made LT fun is the fact that each time he got the ball you knew he could take it to the house, I feel the same way about Zach Evans.

Very fair IMO especially this early. But I will say that Evans runs with more power than I had anticipated

As someone who was at every TCU home game LT played in, this is 100% accurate, especially the part about thinking he'd score every time he touched the ball.

Zach did some things on Saturday that I'd never seen LT do.