• The KillerFrogs

Need an explanation on the 2-point diversion fumble

Paul in uhh

Edit: conversion.. voice text got me

I wasn’t able to decipher the ref’s explanation yesterday with all the crowd noise.

The Cal RB fumbled the ball into the end zone before he crossed the goal line.

It looked to me like Cal recovered the fumble but maybe I’m wrong.

Regardless I liked the result but I don’t know the rule that the ref was referring to and Google is only taking me to NFL stuff.

West Coast Johnny

The runner was actually tackled a half yard short and after he was down, kind-of intentionally pushed and fumbled the ball into the end zone. Cal recovered. The ruling on the field was that the player fumbled into the end zone which is not allowed on 2 point conversion attempts. Either way... Frogs Win!

On a 4th down or TRY, the only player that can recover a fumble is the player that fumbled. If replay had looked at it, he actually didn’t fumble as the ball came loose when it hit the ground but was still in his possession. However, his knee was down prior to the stretch. The TRY was no good either way.

Paul in uhh

On a 4th down or TRY, the only player that can recover a fumble is the player that fumbled. If replay had looked at it, he actually didn’t fumble as the ball came loose when it hit the ground but was still in his possession. However, his knee was down prior to the stretch. The TRY was no good either way.
I didn’t know that - I always assumed a fumble is live and can be recovered by anyone. Thanks!

hometown frog

I was shocked they didn’t stop to review that call. He was down before the goal line or the fumble when you watch the tv replay. But it was close enough and that was a big enough play in the game I’m surprised they allowed the wrong technical call to stay in place.

Planks

I didn’t know the rule, but it does make sense. If it’s 4th down or a 2 pt conversion, and you are running with the ball and it looks like you are going to be stopped short of the goal line, you would have nothing to lose by “accidentally” fumbling the ball forward and hoping one of your teammates recover it in the end zone. This rule prevents that.

Bob Sugar

giphy.gif

Paul in uhh

I didn’t know the rule, but it does make sense. If it’s 4th down or a 2 pt conversion, and you are running with the ball and it looks like you are going to be stopped short of the goal line, you would have nothing to lose by “accidentally” fumbling the ball forward and hoping one of your teammates recover it in the end zone. This rule prevents that.
I’ve wondered from time to time why we didn’t see that more often. Now I know. I’m not a football genius.