• The KillerFrogs

What we get with UH

Houston's football stadium was formally the Jeppesen High School Stadium. I played

high school
football there in the 1950s. It was built in 1941 and seats 32,000. It has

been updated to some degree. The stadium is near the campus which is located in

Houston's notorious Third Ward. An area widely associated with having the city's

highest rate of crime. Attending night games there could prove somewhat precarious.

Pharm Frog

Sounds like you need a better tour guide.

Unless you just don't like all major cities, which is fine. Something to be said for small towns.

Was born and raised in “Houston”. My father wouldn’t allow me to take my drivers test until I was able to be dropped off on La Branch at 4pm and be able to get home without calling. Am there for work far more than I’d prefer. I don’t need a tour guide.

That said…I hate driving Dallas, North Tarrant, LA, NYC, NJ jug handles, Austin, Atlanta, and Midland/Odessa a couple of years ago.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Was born and raised in “Houston”. My father wouldn’t allow me to take my drivers test until I was able to be dropped off on La Branch at 4pm and be able to get home without calling. Am there for work far more than I’d prefer. I don’t need a tour guide.

That said…I hate driving Dallas, North Tarrant, LA, NYC, NJ jug handles, Austin, Atlanta, and Midland/Odessa a couple of years ago.
I remember reading that from 2000 to 2010, the population of Houston doubled. From 2010 to 2015, it grew as much again. Infrastructure cannot keep up with that pace, thus the crowding of freeways, water, sewer, housing, food, fuel electricity, etc.

When I finally drove off and left that place in my rearview, it was with a certain amount of sadness for the place I once knew, but was now forever gone.

Endless Purple

Can't go against the driving. even Fort Worth sucked yesterday as usual. Why does everyone drive all random speeds in a70mph zone. I have to dodge all around people randomly driving 55 and 60 when it is not that crowded.

Don't know what to tell you about Houston. I go all over and have no problems with safety. Just avoid going back into certain wards, other than that there are lots of diverse people that are really nice and fun to see the variety of foods, stores, lifestyles, clothing, etc...

I have had more "dangerous" encounters in Fort Worth and San Antonio than Houston when out and walking about.

As for games at UH, just stay on campus and don't go back into the neighborhood like you would at a TCU game to park. I walk around the stadium at night on non-game nights with no problem.

TCUdirtbag

but adding UH is like adding a less educated Texas Tech with much fewer fans.

(1) not saying I think UH was some brilliant/obvious addition, but:

(2) Tech’s ranking is #217 and Houston’s is #176 (UH is also above #241 WVU and #187 OK State, and nipping at the heels of #170 K-State). UH’s trajectory has been to climb the rankings while Tech has stagnated,

(3) UH is out-researching Texas Tech (about $201 M in 2020 compared to about $191 M). Both are increasing their spending, but UH is doing so at a faster rate and bringing in researchers with their city vs Lubbock appeal and a plan to reach AAU status. And

(4) UH is out-enrolling Texas Tech 47,000 to 40,000. If you break down the numbers, UH has 29,000 full-time undergrads vs. the same number at Tech. UH is awarding about 10,500 degrees per year vs. about 9,000 at Tech. The “commuter school” gap is shrinking as Texas/Houston grow and UH’s student body changes. The only gap in these numbers that clearly favors Tech is the on-campus student population: 24% at Tech vs. 17% at UH.

None of this erases the recent history of UH as a mediocre commuter school that struggles to get the attention of its own city. That’s certainly their history and reputation in the general population. This IS to say that one school generally just keeps trudging along (benefiting from population growth but not doing much else) while the other is diligently reinventing itself. It will be tough to break those old narratives with older generations of Texans. But Houston is growing insanely fast—and that’s not expected to slow down. UH is aggressively pursuing AAU status, higher rankings, more traditional on-campus experiences, etc. So all this is to say they have a lot of momentum and “a less educated Texas Tech” is now inaccurate and “with fewer fans” may not be accurate for long.

tcumaniac

Adding Houston is a total bore and doesn’t move the needle at all for me.

I have friends and/or acquaintances from every current big 12 school, every sec school, a handful of big 10 and pac 12 schools. I know people from rice, utd, utsa, Texas A&M commerce, ACU, Dbu, smu, Stephen f Austin, tarleton state, Texas state, Sam Houston state, Trinity, University of North Texas, UTA, utep, and probably others I can’t think of.

I don’t know a soul that went to Houston.

Gringo1873

Houston's football stadium was formally the Jeppesen High School Stadium. I played

high school
football there in the 1950s. It was built in 1941 and seats 32,000. It has

been updated to some degree. The stadium is near the campus which is located in

Houston's notorious Third Ward. An area widely associated with having the city's

highest rate of crime. Attending night games there could prove somewhat precarious.

You know they just built a brand new stadium right? And yes it's in a terrible neighborhood.

ticketfrog123

Is it hard being a Debbie Downer in every single thread?

Attendance: 38,631
84%
Capacity: 46,000

I was there. There is no way there were 38,000 in attendance. Tickets sold perhaps but they were not there. and even with the no return a lot of those left at halftime.

they showed one shot on TV of the crowd in the first quarter with both upper decks being 60-70% empty

friends at the game were embarrassed at the lack of crowd for a P5 opponent

should I lower my expectations for the TCU alumni to show up at Baylor/Houston/SMU levels?

82 Frog Fever

The B12 was trying to find a 4th team from an inventory of mediocre choices (UH, Memphis, Boise) and poor choices (USF, CSU, SDSU?, etc….)
The differences between the first 3 is really hard to get very excited about, especially when it’s being reported that Bowlsby, Hocutt, & others are hinting they’re considering Memphis/Boise as additional adds in a 2nd round.
If they’re now truly considering a 2nd round, UH would’ve eventually been scooped up anyway.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
they showed one shot on TV of the crowd in the first quarter with both upper decks being 60-70% empty

friends at the game were embarrassed at the lack of crowd for a P5 opponent

should I lower my expectations for the TCU alumni to show up at Baylor/Houston/SMU levels?

Once again, you move the goal posts. You asked about the "official attendance" and that figure couldn't be much over 35,000. I gave you the "offical attendance" and it was over 38,000. You were wrong...it is that hard for you to admit?

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...-nearly-passed-on-UH-again-until-16451474.php

I am a bit disappointed to read that Fertitta and state politics were involved in UH being a late add as the fourth team. For some reason I prefer simply merit. In the end I hope it was only merit and the politics was just because Fertitta had offended people in 2016.

“The University of Houston isn’t in the Big 12 without a final goal-line push from its billionaire backer.

Let’s also make this clear right now. There was a time in college sports history when the shrinking Big 12 had decided to expand with three new additions — BYU, UCF, Cincinnati — and the UH Cougars were officially being overlooked again, in the most painful way possible.

That time wasn’t in 2016, when the Big 12 coldly said no to the Coogs.

That time was two weeks ago.”

“Is UH in the Big 12 without Fertitta? “The short answer is no. No,” said Pezman, dragging out the last word for emphasis.”

““Toward the end, when it felt like we needed to fire bullets politically, that’s the guy (Fertitta) that’s got — he had our back,” Pezman said.”

“”There was a couple really high political people in the state, that you can imagine, and he just made it happen. He was very clear about how it would affect him and his perceived leadership of the university. … It certainly didn’t hurt having a guy like him that can make those phone calls and be able to get those calls answered. I can’t.””

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
TV ratings and millions of dollars more on the media contracts. Numbers have been proven and posted.
So they say. Have you seen the contract yet? Neither have I.

We're beggars. Beggars made by our hunger for money, and the only people willing to toss money our way command what we do and when we do it. We have no say whatsoever in our destiny.

ESPN likes beggars. They're easier to please.

At the end of they day, ESPN could care less about your preference, or mine. They care even less about my opinion, which is on the same level of their concern as yours. The fact that I find UH a miserable commuter school in the worst part of a lousy town is irrelevant. The fact that you somehow think they are a panacea is also wholly irrelevant. What I absolutely object to is being subject to the whims of an organization I despise with every fiber of my being, and that is the position we have been put in by OUT and the "leadership" of the BIGXII.

Spike

Adding Houston is a total bore and doesn’t move the needle at all for me.

I don’t know a soul that went to Houston.

I suspect that they just don't talk about it. Did my law school at STCL in Houston and it seemed that once you got to know the people you found out they all did a summer or a semester at UH.