• The KillerFrogs

Gameday Thread: TCU vs Cal

Moose Stuff

Great.

Hopefully the next game only has 3 quarters.

What we did in the entirety of the game wasn’t a problem either. Max needs to be better on deep balls, that’s pretty much it. Meach called a good game, QJ was good, ZE was great, Max had over 300 yards of offense and 4 TD…. and all against a decent defense. Considering some of the steaming [ Finebaum ]s we left on the field with Cumbie calling the plays I have a hard time understanding how people watched the game today and thought that was anything other than positive progress.

FrogCoach84

What we did in the entirety of the game wasn’t a problem either. Max needs to be better on deep balls, that’s pretty much it. Meach called a good game, QJ was good, ZE was great, Max had over 300 yards of offense and 4 TD…. and all against a decent defense. Considering some of the steaming [ #2020 ]s we left on the field with Cumbie calling the plays I have a hard time understanding how people watched the game today and thought that was anything other than positive progress.
Stepping back from knee jerk reactions I had (which included bench Max and fire Meach!) and taking a 30,000 foot view I agree with a lot of what you’re saying.

The pieces are there on offense to be elite. Biggest thing missing is Max’s deep ball.

It’s the defense that’s more concerning and hopefully some injured guys get back and that side improves. Today was a bit scary against a very mediocre Cal offense.

Moose Stuff

Stepping back from knee jerk reactions I had (which included bench Max and fire Meach!) and taking a 30,000 foot view I agree with a lot of what you’re saying.

The pieces are there on offense to be elite. Biggest thing missing is Max’s deep ball.

It’s the defense that’s more concerning and hopefully some injured guys get back and that side improves. Today was a bit scary against a very mediocre Cal offense.

Gave up less than 100 yards passing in the second half so at least we got better as the game went on. In theory the return of Coleman (pressure) and Daniels (coverage) would make a ton of difference.

82 Frog Fever

for BROG: It's difficult when both teams are hated so much. You may be too young to remember the Hogs beating our Horned Frogs so brutally (and often) back in the dark days...1959-1980, that's 22 in a row.

Ugh.

1974. Texas 81 TCU 16. @ AGC
Never forget that.
I hope TCU hangs 60 on them in 3 weeks.

Showtime Joe 2.0

We've all heard the old coaching adage that, "You make the most progress as a team between your first and second games of the season."

Cal proved the truth of that adage yesterday. I thought they played much better against us than they did against Nevada.

As for the Frogs, Duquesne was such a weak opening opponent that we really had no clue after that game what we needed to improve upon before we faced Cal. So, for all intents and purposes, Cal was our first real game of the season and I therefore look forward to seeing significant progress on both sides of the ball when we face SMU.

But I just wish we'd stop playing such woe-be-gone patsies as Duquesne or the HBC teams that we have in the past. We gain NOTHING by doing so except getting an automatic win. And scheduling Duquesne as our first game almost cost us a victory in our second game, which could've easily gone the other way.

Plus, these "body-bag" games are a rip-off for season-ticket holders who wind up paying "full price" for them while others can buy a ticket for $5 outside the stadium at kick-off if they want to personally witness such embarrassing spectacles.

With all that being said, I'm afraid that Patterson is going to keep playing one such game each year, especially if we go to an eight-game conference schedule in the "New" Big 12. But I still won't like it.

Brog

for BROG: It's difficult when both teams are hated so much. You may be too young to remember the Hogs beating our Horned Frogs so brutally (and often) back in the dark days...1959-1980, that's 22 in a row.

Ugh.

I'm old enough to remember Darrell Royal keeping the first team in to beat the Frogs 82-16. Dl you remember that?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Despite Max's misses, there were only 2 games last year where we scored more than today and only 1 game where we had more yards than today.

This offense has the potential to do huge things.
There is no greater curse you can lay on a player or team than "(He/They) have great potential!"

I feel a lot better about the team after the 2nd half (and plenty of drinks afters), but that 1st half was awful. Just awful. A good team would have put us in a deep hole and shoveled dirt on us. As it was, a team that managed to lose to Nevada (Nevada!!!) on their own home turf made us look like imbeciles for 30 minutes. On both sides of the ball. On our own home turf.

It's a measure of the Coaching Staff as to what changes over the next two weeks: Attitude, poise, attention to detail, determination. All these were lacking. Above average teams display these elements. Great teams personify them.

Wexahu

There is no greater curse you can lay on a player or team than "(He/They) have great potential!"

I feel a lot better about the team after the 2nd half (and plenty of drinks afters), but that 1st half was awful. Just awful. A good team would have put us in a deep hole and shoveled dirt on us. As it was, a team that managed to lose to Nevada (Nevada!!!) on their own home turf made us look like imbeciles for 30 minutes. On both sides of the ball. On our own home turf.

It's a measure of the Coaching Staff as to what changes over the next two weeks: Attitude, poise, attention to detail, determination. All these were lacking. Above average teams display these elements. Great teams personify them.

Nevada is not a bad team and Garbers will probably be one of the better QBs we face this year. 5th year senior who knows what he’s doing out there. It’s not like Cal is some awful team, at least they haven’t shown to be one yet.

Imbeciles??? We were down by 5 after 30 minutes, even with an awful pick 6.

TCU_91

What we did in the entirety of the game wasn’t a problem either. Max needs to be better on deep balls, that’s pretty much it. Meach called a good game, QJ was good, ZE was great, Max had over 300 yards of offense and 4 TD…. and all against a decent defense. Considering some of the steaming [ #2020 ]s we left on the field with Cumbie calling the plays I have a hard time understanding how people watched the game today and thought that was anything other than positive progress.

I have a difficult time understanding anyone who watched the play calling for the first 5 series think that was coherent believe we're headed in a new and improved direction.

Play calling, discipline and organization was the very same it has been for the past three years.

We threw the ball way too much and didn't allow our stud RB to work on pounding it between the tackles. One of the benefits would have been to wear their defense out in the heat.

But again we needed to be "cute".