• The KillerFrogs

Disappointed in the Band

frogs9497

My friend’s daughter is in the band. He came over to the West side to see the performance last week and they performed to the East Side.

What’s up with that? I thought they performed to the Home Side

I think this started a few years ago. IIRC, the decision was in response to the lack of people in the stands.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Brevity is 100% spot on. And the band has had "cross town agreements" with other schools for ROTC and the marching band. My daughter played in the band when she was enrolled at TCJC, and other friends' kids played when they were enrolled at Wesleyan. We haven't had a marching band (you know, one that plays marches and marches in straight lines) for years...we have a drum corps that wanders all over the field, exploring the nuances of pianissimo. They never fail to disappoint. And yes, I was a music major and played in the band for all 4 years I was there. It was a wonderful experience, but then, it was also a marching band with a director who "got it."
Oh, don't get me started on "Corps" style nonsense. I have hated that ever since it became fashionable in the late 70s. By the early 80s, it had pushed the old 6-5 military-style marching completely out of the frame. I believe the only band that still keeps that tradition is the Aggie Band, and they do it well.

We aren't the Aggie Band, but we aren't the MOB either. The present identity of the TCU Band is about what it was in the early-to-mid 80s when I ran around under a tuba. What has changed is 1.) People! People in the stands! Where did they come from? 2.) That damned video board/sound system. It's not as if you could really hear the Band before, but now what sound they make is absolutely drowned out by the sound system. They tried mics on the Band, but that can only result in rhythm issues. (Hear: Robert Earl Keen, National Anthem, TCU v. A&M 1991)

What do we need to do? Well, I have no idea of the Band finances. None. I am aware that the Athletics Department funding is completely separate, but I do not know if any of that money is steered towards the Band as a part of the Gameday experience. I do know that if we are to somehow increase the brass, it will have to come from outside the normal Music Department and maybe from outside the University itself. The money for that has to come from somewhere. because I can't imagine that kids would do it for free. There are a literal legion of H.S. Bands whose kids would love to augment a by-Ghod College Band on a Saturday afternoon. There are plenty of Junior College kids who can play and would like a little pocket money to perform a couple of weekends a month.

But, the harsh reality is that no one comes to see the Band.

Diehard

The points Brevity brings up have been heard before. The TCU Band needs to bump up the brass. The issue is, we simply don't have enough players to do so. We'd have to literally let non-students in, or part-time students, just to fill out the ranks. That's not anything shocking, other Bands do the same thing. TCU so far hasn't seen the need. After all, there's that giant sound system and video screen blaring commercials and "Kiss-Cam" during frequent play stoppages. The Band is pretty danged superfluous in these sad times...

As to musical selection, show design, which side do you play to, etc., these matters are decided by the Band Director and Assistant Director. Both of these people are very likely cloistered musicians with little thought given to the larger issues commanding the day.

Well stated stated. I have always thought the administration here and at most universities have a seemingly myopic view of our world, but cloistered is probably a better term. Just out of touch.

CryptoMiner

We all know what this band really needs.....

cowbell.png

researchfrog

TCU's School of Music is in a tough spot. Because of the changes in student demographics and their time commitments, TCU cannot rely on the student body to have a Big 10-style marching band. But the School of Music needs to have corps-style marching band to provide well-rounded music education degrees. So the options are for the School of Music to switch to a more conservatory-like approach and a marching band concept like SMU or Rice, OR double down on the DCI approach and switch everyone to drums and brass. The latter would shrink the band as many of the remaining non-music major woodwinds drop out. The former might shrink the band, but a Rice-like concept with alumni in the band might grow it. It's really hard to say.

Keep in mind that a few years back TCU rolled out 3000 scholarships for marching band. But with the median TCU student's household being pretty close to top 5% in the income distribution and with the cost of tuition, it seems like it would take a lot more in financial aid to incentivize student participation.

Pharm Frog

All I need to know is that Mrs Pharm wanted to leave last week BEFORE the band’s halftime performance. She’s often wanted to leave early but NEVER before the band plays. Said she’s got no interest in what they are doing. The only reason the band exists IMO is to play God Blessed Texas so the Showgirls can dance.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Seriously never knew people had so many strong marching band opinions. Until marching bands quit wearing stupid q tip on the head UT western clown all wool in 100 degree temps uniforms, I’ll never pay a lick of attention.

TCUdirtbag

If you are following Big 12 college football for the marching band, I suggest giving up on TCU and trying Tech or K-State. TCU is still a small private school with a country club feel. We aren’t a band nerd haven. Never will be.

Brevity Frog

If you are following Big 12 college football for the marching band, I suggest giving up on TCU and trying Tech or K-State. TCU is still a small private school with a country club feel. We aren’t a band nerd haven. Never will be.

we don’t have to be. But we don’t have to stink this bad. This is truly embarrassing at this point. The band leadership’s give-a-pooper is broken. Beyond repair.

steelfrog

Tier 1
Here's the deal-io

"The band" just like "the football team" is made up of students. Students who have to practice to even make what little they do presentable. And what princely sum do the students who comprise "the band" get for all the hours the put in? The last Steel knew the amount it was $5,000/year. In other words, virtually nothing. In fact, they should just go ahead and make it nothing since $5,000 off of 60 grand is almost an insult.

So, yes, would it be nice if they could "put in" a whole bunch of more songs and marching formations etc for this one event? Sure. Is it practical, or good for "the band"? Hell no.

Their primary job as Steel sees it is making a lot of noise in the stands and helping to keep the energy u[p etc. they do that very well

StealthFrog

Their primary job as Steel sees it is making a lot of noise in the stands and helping to keep the energy u[p etc. they do that very well

actually, they don’t do that very well either. They are almost non-existent during the game outside of the third down noise they make.

In fact, the pre game performance does the exact opposite. They suck any potential energy out of the stadium 5 minutes before kick-off.