• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Chongo94

Bayern up on Leipzig at the half through a penalty, 1-0.

Will be interesting to see how long of a leash/job security Marsch has at Leipzig. Think he was really hard done by and put in a tough spot by Leipzig’s transfers. Selling both starting center backs and also your captain is brutal for Marsch.

Edit: scratch that, Bayern scored while I was posting…2-0, two minutes into the second half.

Purp

Pepi got another tonight a lot like his goal in Honduras. Really great work to get position for the header and just glanced it home. He's really talented in the box.

JugbandFrog

I found a team I can get behind…

Aston Villa Football Club. I was, um, turned on to them because of their women’s club, but the main team seems like where I will begin my football journey.

Attachments

• 53587ED5-E616-4155-BD2D-D41D42B244EF.jpg
    53587ED5-E616-4155-BD2D-D41D42B244EF.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 0

Purp

This is another disappointment, but at least it sounds minor. I'm a little worried about these compressed windows now. Young guys at this level of fitness shouldn't be breaking down this quickly, but 3 international games in 7-8 days with all that travel and their European club matches before and after is an awful lot. Add in the more intensive training with the national team to prepare for 3 separate opponents in such a short space of time and I can see how it is probably way too much for these guys.

The encouraging thing is that Sargent has become an important player for Norwich even though they aren't winning yet. That should come as they face opponents in the bottom half of the table.

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/usm...ry-as-norwich-boss/17baroq37ocmo1wdrlqc11n710

Purp

I'm still hopeful Carter-Vickers will figure things out. With Brooks' lackluster performance in the qualifying window I think it would be good to add a little more CB depth than we thought we had after the GC. Sands was a disaster in the window so having someone more than just Miazga behind Robinson, McKenzie, and Brooks would be a good thing. Maybe Richards can become that guy too. He was really solid for Hoffenheim to finish the last campaign and it sounds like he's off to a good start with them this season too.

https://sbisoccer.com/2021/09/camer...s-celtic-post-shutout-win-in-impressive-debut
https://sbisoccer.com/2021/09/americans-abroad-weekend-rewind-busio-richards-and-more

Reggie Cannon not getting time at Boavista is troubling. What could have gone so wrong that it seemed a slam dunk he'd transfer to a big 5 league and then fall out of contention at Boavista.

Last edited:

Purp

Champions League start today! Which groups are you watching/paying attention to?
I'm most interested in Aaronson and RB Salzburg. Aaronson was a massive part in them getting into the group play and I want to see how he does against fellow Americans Brooks and Weah in the next two matches. It's not a real imposing group so I think that will be my most watched group since anybody can advance out of it.

Purp

I think Pefok scored to secure the win against ManU at 90+5. Either it's him or there's another Siebatcheu on Young Boys.