• The KillerFrogs

Gameday Thread: TCU vs Cal

TCU_91

Good observations. Max HAS to hit some deep balls. Hell, just throwing one that his WR has a CHANCE to catch would be progress. As for the secondary and DL…. we badly need Coleman and Daniels back by SMU. I’ll also add that Caesar got better as the game wore on and it will only benefit him that he was tested today leading into the SMU game. He’s still gotta be way better.

I want to know when the QB coach begins to pay dividends?

Where are we at here, 3 years now?

Is this ANOTHER GP buddy hire?

Que ...iFrog

Opintel

Moderators
for BROG: It's difficult when both teams are hated so much. You may be too young to remember the Hogs beating our Horned Frogs so brutally (and often) back in the dark days...1959-1980, that's 22 in a row.

Ugh.

Big Frog II

I didn't think our offense was terrible the whole game. The pick six and the missed wide open receivers deep made it seem terrible. Was not totally thrilled with the defense. Their QB had way too much time. As for the Pac-12, I see why they didn't invite us. Gary hasn't lost to them.

Farmfrog

I just wish Gary would change up his calls just a little and be less predictable. It seemed like Cal knew exactly what we did on defense and without pressure we were in trouble. We’ll get better but I hope it doesn’t take long.

On offense we got cut on more than one occasion and it hurt us. Zach needs the ball because he showed with some holes he’s capable of making huge plays. Is the problem with the offense more on Meach and Kill or Max? If he’s our best qb then the offense needs some changes. We continually ask him to throw the ball down the field and that’s just not his strength. I wish I knew what the problem is but we have too much talent to waste.

Wexahu

I just wish Gary would change up his calls just a little and be less predictable. It seemed like Cal knew exactly what we did on defense and without pressure we were in trouble. We’ll get better but I hope it doesn’t take long.

On offense we got cut on more than one occasion and it hurt us. Zach needs the ball because he showed with some holes he’s capable of making huge plays. Is the problem with the offense more on Meach and Kill or Max? If he’s our best qb then the offense needs some changes. We continually ask him to throw the ball down the field and that’s just not his strength. I wish I knew what the problem is but we have too much talent to waste.

Duggan just needs to start hitting on the long throws. He does that, and we’re damn good. You just gotta hope it clicks at some point. We don’t need to change that part of the offense and stop throwing the ball downfield.

Moose Stuff

What problem? We had 500 yards and 34 points in the last 3 quarters of that game.

Farmfrog

Maybe we start throwing more 10-15 yard throws and looking to break one might work better than throwing it 30+ yards down the field. If Max is going to take the next step he has to hit one or two every game and, unfortunately, he hasn’t so far.

FrogCoach84

You can’t stop stretching the defense vertically. It kills so many other aspects of your offense of you just remove those shots.

Max just needs to hit on some of them

Farmfrog

You can’t stop stretching the defense vertically. It kills so many other aspects of your offense of you just remove those shots.

Max just needs to hit on some of them
My question is what if he doesn’t hit them? How does Meach tweak the offense to fit what Max does. I’m just not sure we have an answer on the bench so tweaking the offense seems to be the better choice.

Wexahu

My question is what if he doesn’t hit them? How does Meach tweak the offense to fit what Max does. I’m just not sure we have an answer on the bench so tweaking the offense seems to be the better choice.

We probably don’t beat the really good teams on the schedule. Same as if the O-line misses a bunch of blocks or the defense misses a bunch of tackles.

The throws are there, the guys are getting open, just gotta convert. It either happens or it doesn’t but you don’t stop trying. Once he hits a couple, who knows, maybe the floodgates open.

FrogCoach84

There are no tweaks that allow you to just stop threatening teams vertically…unless the tweak is switching to an academy offense and even then you’ve got to hit a PA seam or two.

They have to take those shots and if the Frogs are going to win big games he will have to hit on more than a few of those.

It was extraordinarily bad today as far as the deep ball goes….but guys were open….wiiiiide open. The reads were right, the concepts worked, he just had to deliver.