• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

Wexahu

Maybe I’m missing what the goal is. None of those seven schools in those three states are in immediate jeopardy of losing P5 status based on conference affiliation. UH as a sixth Texas school does not enhance the conference’s ability to remain a P5. In this environment of increased exclusivity we are sealing our fate (if it’s not already sealed). If we are throwing in the towel in terms of remaining P5 then that’s a whole different argument.

Our fate in terms of "P5" status certainly doesn't depend on whether or not Houston is added to the league or not. At least in my opinion. Our fate has already been sealed to an extent. Now it's just trying to create a conference that is as solid as possible, and as good as possible. Whether people call it a "P5" at the end of the day, that's out of the conference's control.

I don't think adding UCF and BYU solidifies P5 status in any way. Same with Cincinnati and/or UCF and BYU. I think you just make the best adds you can to make sure if nothing else you're far and away the best "non P5" league out there and see where that lands you.

82 Frog Fever

[QUOTE="Borncoog74, post: 3044836, member: 74173"
I know some on here have been enamored with USF, but having been in a conference with them for years, they are just not an attractive option. Just because they pair well with UCF just isn’t a strong enough reason.

I’m one of those that said BYU, UCF, Cincy, USF was the right move.
USF partly because I’m in Venice. I do have to admit their football has gone off a cliff in recent years. Even many of the team’s own parents don’t watch some of the games.
I still like BSU over UH, but as you say, there will likely be more of this expansion crap coming soon.
Suddenly very interested to see Tech v. UH. Let’s see what you got!

Jared7

This is moving way quicker than I ever thought it would. Oliver Luck seems to have hit the ground running, the ESPN relationship is being repaired, and decisions are a lot easier with UT out the door. The resulting new Big 12 will be a quality P5 conference and that wasn't all that clear 6 weeks ago. BYU is a top quality get and I think they'll accept with a minimal amount of mess (they'll change their mind at some point but for the first few years are likely to be excellent conference mates). Both Houston and Cincinnati have been in power conferences and are both regarded at the top level of the G5. UCF has the most potential of all the prospective candidates. I'm very surprised that the Big 12 has responded so well so fast.

UT/OU settlement?

New TV contracts?

Divisions?

When?

Phase-in on revenue distributions?

Dogfrog

Our fate in terms of "P5" status certainly doesn't depend on whether or not Houston is added to the league or not. At least in my opinion. Our fate has already been sealed to an extent. Now it's just trying to create a conference that is as solid as possible, and as good as possible. Whether people call it a "P5" at the end of the day, that's out of the conference's control.

I don't think adding UCF and BYU solidifies P5 status in any way. Same with Cincinnati and/or UCF and BYU. I think you just make the best adds you can to make sure if nothing else you're far and away the best "non P5" league out there and see where that lands you.

Ok, in the current environment, some conferences can get away with a Northwestern because of historic conference affiliation. Just don’t see a conference adding a UH and surviving P5. BTW I think those three states you mentioned have six P5 schools unless I’m blanking on one. But if we are past P5 and moving on with the debate I am guilty of not keeping up.

82 Frog Fever

I know I am a homer, but I truly believe y’all are going to be surprised at the value of playing BIG XII games in the city of Houston.

Any improvement you think UH will benefit from will equally benefit the other BIG XII members that play there.

It’s something that has never happened in Houston throughout a BIG XII season.

The SEC hasn’t gotten to where they are by shying away from competition, or adding elite level members because it might step on the toes of others.

The rising tides can lift all boats.

You passed “homer” along time ago. More like fluff pumper,
but I admire your persistence.
UH is the only team that will benefit. Houston is owned by the SEC in terms of TVs and 90% of recruiting. UH isn’t going to move the needle for the B12 in Houston and it certainly doesn’t increase the footprint.
Let’s just see if you can keep up with Tech.

vicarfrog

I know I am a homer, but I truly believe y’all are going to be surprised at the value of playing BIG XII games in the city of Houston.

Any improvement you think UH will benefit from will equally benefit the other BIG XII members that play there.

It’s something that has never happened in Houston throughout a BIG XII season.

The SEC hasn’t gotten to where they are by shying away from competition, or adding elite level members because it might step on the toes of others.

The rising tides can lift all boats.

I agree with you, and I think y'all have been worthy of an invite for a long time. This is not going to be 90's SWC. We'd have a good hold of Texas, but also key locations in other states.

I think alot of fun match-ups become possible, as GSR pointed to in an earlier post: picture a top 10 TCU going down to play a top 10 Houston. H-Town would be blazing with excitement. You can even open up NRG for special Southwest classic games.

It will take some time, but I think the Big 12 is on the precipice of a renaissance.

Last edited:

Wexahu

Ok, in the current environment, some conferences can get away with a Northwestern because of historic conference affiliation. Just don’t see a conference adding a UH and surviving P5. BTW I think those three states you mentioned have six P5 schools unless I’m blanking on one. But if we are past P5 and moving on with the debate I am guilty of not keeping up.

I am counting Notre Dame, which admittedly isn't like the others. But still. IU/Purdue/Illinois/Northwestern/UM/MSU/Notre Dame.

As for the bolded part, again, I don't think not adding them helps us survive being a P5. The "P5" ship has maybe already sailed, I don't think there's anything the conference can do that will solidify anything on that front. Now it's just create the best league you can, and I guess 12 teams is the number. If you're called a P5, great. If not, you've got far and away the best other league. And if a couple eventually leave, you just go pluck the best other options. I'm not sure what else you can do. It's not a position of strength that we are in. If we do nothing, the league probably dissolves and we end up joining the AAC.

Do you think a conference could add Memphis and survive being a P5? San Diego State? Who do you add?

Dogfrog

I am counting Notre Dame, which admittedly isn't like the others. But still. IU/Purdue/Illinois/Northwestern/UM/MSU/Notre Dame.

As for the bolded part, again, I don't think not adding them helps us survive being a P5. The "P5" ship has maybe already sailed, I don't think there's anything the conference can do that will solidify anything on that front. Now it's just create the best league you can, and I guess 12 teams is the number.

Do you think a conference could add Memphis and survive being a P5? San Diego State? Who do you add?

ND, missed it. Answer to your question - no. The only chance we had of possibly remaining P5 would have been grabbing four schools from different regions that represented potential significant new conference viewers. BYU, Cincy, maybe something in Fla, maybe Boise. Not really sure there was an answer.

Hemingway

Fort Worth, Florida
So you actually don’t know whats going on in Florida.
I’ve seen some really sharp kids with acceptance letters to Miami , FSU, and UCF. They’re picking UCF.
Miami is just a distant thought to people here. FSU is alright but UCF is the better value proposition to kids. And all the Disney Stuff and et al are just more appealing to people.

Hemingway

Cliff notes:

- BYU, UCF, Cincinnati, Houston are the early top 4

- BYU being looked at as football only too

- Houston: Big push to put politics aside, they are seen as a key asset by the ADs

- Things are accelerating with lots of work to go

GSR opinion: Yep, feeling pretty good so far! All of this is as I had heard or anticipated. It also helps that the conference did the most leg work on these four schools back three years ago, so they know them. USF, Memphis, and Boise will get their time in the sun too.

Timeline and predictions feeling very solid.
I’d take USF over UH because it’s on EST tv time , and easier for WVU &UCF

jake102

This is moving way quicker than I ever thought it would. Oliver Luck seems to have hit the ground running, the ESPN relationship is being repaired, and decisions are a lot easier with UT out the door. The resulting new Big 12 will be a quality P5 conference and that wasn't all that clear 6 weeks ago. BYU is a top quality get and I think they'll accept with a minimal amount of mess (they'll change their mind at some point but for the first few years are likely to be excellent conference mates). Both Houston and Cincinnati have been in power conferences and are both regarded at the top level of the G5. UCF has the most potential of all the prospective candidates. I'm very surprised that the Big 12 has responded so well so fast.

UT/OU settlement?

New TV contracts?

Divisions?

When?

Phase-in on revenue distributions?

Supposedly the OU/UT settlement is completed or basically completed….

Yeah I’m very pleasantly surprised by the developments this week.

Dogfrog

ND, missed it. Answer to your question - no. The only chance we had of possibly remaining P5 would have been grabbing four schools from different regions that represented potential significant new conference viewers. BYU, Cincy, maybe something in Fla, maybe Boise. Not really sure there was an answer.

I will admit a pipe dream that has crossed my mind but won’t happen is: Any chance the other p5 conferences would love to shed Wake Forest, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Oregon State, but just can’t bring themselves to kicking them to the curb? These are schools who profit greatly from conference affiliation without contributing much. If it’s all about football $$$ would they consider offering Big 12 some improved status in return for taking them off their hands? Probably way too awkward to actually happen and not sure it would be worth it long term.

Mean Purple

So you actually don’t know whats going on in Florida.
I’ve seen some really sharp kids with acceptance letters to Miami , FSU, and UCF. They’re picking UCF.
Miami is just a distant thought to people here. FSU is alright but UCF is the better value proposition to kids. And all the Disney Stuff and et al are just more appealing to people.
ESPN likes Miami. Money matters.

It is difficult to imagine Cincinnati becoming more than they are today. They have been around a long time.

USF offers a higher ceiling than Cincinatti, and likely Houston too. A fast growing large university with a great campus in a nice metro area and very good academia. Research 1, #103 USNews and the same SAT/ACT scores as TCU. USF will eventually build a beautiful on-campus stadium that betters Cincinatti’s 40k, and joining the Big 12 might help push that along. Their competitiveness today does not matter, that can change next year. Their new coach from Clemson offers hope. I hope WV isn’t dictating Cincy.

UCF and USF are relatively young burgeoning schools climbing the ladder and are not near the top yet - like early adolescents growing into themselves.

This should be about potential, very little left for Cincy, they are what they are. Its campus has a small constrained geographic footprint in an urban core - no room for a larger stadium. They are not growing/changing.

Last edited: