• The KillerFrogs

247 Sports: Dave Wannstedt reveals realignment rumors

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

College football realignment not done yet, Dave Wannstedt says

By ROBBIE WEINSTEIN

Amid the SEC's growing stature and power within the college sports landscape after the league added Texas and Oklahoma this summer, the ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12 announced an "alliance" between the three conferences on Tuesday that will involve game scheduling as well as a shared vision for the future governance of college athletics. Notably, the Big 12 is not involved.

It remains unclear whether the Big 12 will keep its eight teams and add two more or whether those eight will leave for other conferences. Despite constant rumors since the possibility of Texas and Oklahoma's defection first surfaced in July, no movement has happened.

Fox's Dave Wannstedt, former head coach of the Chicago Bears, Miami Dolphins and Pittsburgh Panthers, claimed this week on 670 The Score's "Mully & Haugh Show" in Chicago that a handful of Big 12 schools will be on the move. Wanntstedt said he is hearing that Kansas, for instance, will "probably" go to the Big Ten.

Read more at https://247sports.com/Article/Colle...oma-State-Pac-12-West-Virginia-ACC-169591701/

Nick Danger

I was immediately suspicious of this report when he didn't include the word "imminent"! How can you try and manufacture a tortuous and highly implausible rumor, without including the word imminent? What a rank amateur!

flyfishingfrog

PAC-12 only takes research schools. TCU isn't a research school.
still amazes me that conferences focus on "academic" standing of their members - as if anyone gives a crap.

The SEC is killing everyone year in and year out - and does the fact that they are not academically superior to the other conferences seem to cast a shadow over their championships?

When we beat Princeton in baseball - was I supposed to be more excited because their players could calculate in their head how many standard deviations away from the median their chances of winning would drop with each run we scored?

I am sure beating Cal will be so much more meaningful due to their R1 status and high USNWR ranking compared to a win over lowly OU....

I wonder if ESPN covets Northwestern more than tOSU? and now that Michigan stinks - do their fans find solace in their academic position as they lose each year to Wiscy, tOSU, Sparty....

Academic standing in a conference is right up their with Aggy delusion that losing to the best is better than winning against anyone esle.

flyfishingfrog

hahahaha. I guess we are down to make up anything these days.
he is actually correct - every PAC school is an R1 if I recall correctly.

You guys can take our academic status anyway you want - but TCU is not an AAU or R1 school as a small private liberal arts college.

Was never important before to TCU and has not affected our athletic performance - but if conferences like the PAC and B1G really are going to look for reasons to cross us off the list - then we don't meet those criteria.

Limey Frog

Only OSU and KSU to the PAC-12 makes no sense to me.

If this whole thing is supposed to be about redressing the Pac 12's lack of exposure off the west coast then surely large numbers of football fixtures in the central timezone's most populous, talent-rich and football-mad state is the best step forward. I can't imagine what that is realistically available would help them more than adding OSU, TCU, Tech, and Houston.

PAC-12 only takes research schools. TCU isn't a research school.

This is the doomsday scenarios for us. If these clowns are going to make athletics decisions on such criteria while the SEC just keeps taking their lunch money then TCU will be collateral damage in a wreckage made by the myopia of west coast snobs who are fooling no one but themselves.

Interesting.....

U.S. News' Academic Rankings of American Universities:

Baylor ~ 76
TCU ~ 80
Iowa State ~ 118
Kansas ~ 124
Kansas State ~ 170
Oklahoma State ~ 187
Texas Tech ~ 217
West Virginia ~ 'Not Ranked'

All of the universities listed below TCU and Baylor are National Research Universities
including West Virginia which was not even ranked.

Quality academics seem to be out of vogue.

TCUdirtbag

he is actually correct - every PAC school is an R1 if I recall correctly.

You are correct. 9 AAU, and all R1 (WSU, OSU, and ASU are the non-AAU schools). Utah is actually one of the newest members of the 66-university club.

You guys can take our academic status anyway you want - but TCU is not an AAU or R1 school as a small private liberal arts college.

I’d replace “academic status” with “research status.” They can be looked at independently.

Was never important before to TCU and has not affected our athletic performance - but if conferences like the PAC and B1G really are going to look for reasons to cross us off the list - then we don't meet those criteria.

Agree.

Longhorn from Aledo

The alliance is a dog and pony show to marginalize the SEC. The one thing I learned from the alliance is that the situation is very fluid otherwise they would have had contracts. No contracts equal block the SEC in any way possible without governing rules that ESPN can exploit. If this wasn't about college sports, it would remind me geographically of a war in the 1860s. Conference realignment is not dead. It will happen but after ESPN/Disney pay the exit for Texas and OU with LHN money. The SEC would swap OSU for Missouri in a heartbeat. Missouri is a weak school, TCU is better as well imo. What will drive expansion? P4 expansion will be driven by the pods used by the SEC with 10 conference games. The other leagues will want to move quickly to this format because it will maximize TV revenue and league excitement. Be patient.

How does the pod format drive revenue and excitement?

1. New/ Renewal of rivalries and experiences on new campuses. Renewal of Texas vs A&M in UT's case.

2. Ten conference games is a huge boost to ratings.

3. A Four team playoff format within a conference can align with bowl games to generate more excitement and revenue.

4. The three alliance conferences are currently determining how to best carve up the B12. They have to work with the networks and try to make this as orderly a process as possible.

Last edited:

berryfrog95

Interesting.....

U.S. News' Academic Rankings of American Universities:

Baylor ~ 76
TCU ~ 80
Iowa State ~ 118
Kansas ~ 124
Kansas State ~ 170
Oklahoma State ~ 187
Texas Tech ~ 217
West Virginia ~ 'Not Ranked'

All of the universities listed below TCU and Baylor are National Research Universities
including West Virginia which was not even ranked.

Quality academics seem to be out of vogue.

state schools as well….spin control however it needs to be. Not top 100, but we’re Research University’s!!!