• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

Traveling Frog

Many of the recent articles cover options other conference have to keep up with the SEC. The only option they have is a merger of the remaining conferences to top the SEC recent pillage. Is there anything holding college football to the current structure? The rest of the conferences are screwed if they stay status quo. Why not create their own power play and separate from the SEC?

Just saw Dak on teevee. Was asked about whether OUT would be successful in the SEC. Said he didn't want to upset any Longhorns, but said SEC is hard. Second to NFL. As he was walking away he was heard to say "I just hope they don't get rid of us" (Miss. State). o_O
His last comment in prescient if one thinks about the state of MS with a population of 2.9 million having the same number of power conference teams as Texas with 10 times that amount if some people get their way.

FBallFan123

Latest from Dodd on the CFP … with some quotes from Kliavkoff …

—"It's certainly going to be readdressed," George Kliavkoff, who took over as Pac-12 commissioner earlier this year, told CBS Sports. "Remember that was a two-year process done by four people. The proposal is good, but it's not done. We've mis-set fans' expectations that it's going to move on a very fast timeline."

—In devastating the Big 12 to the point it has lost 50% to 75% of its value, the SEC enhanced its power, leverage and earning potential to the point some college leaders fear the conference could earn six of the 12 available playoff spots in the proposed expansion.

"With 12 teams, we could just be watching a lot of SEC teams in the 12-team playoff," a highly-placed Power Five source told CBS Sports.

One Power Five AD added: "Why on God's green Earth would the Pac-12 and Big Ten hand over these [playoff] rights, which only strengthens the SEC?"

A second Power Five AD agreed: "I don't care if there are 10 SEC teams in; we just can't make that a bonanza [every] year for them. You can't strangle everybody else financially."

—Kliavkoff being a rookie in his job does not mean his voice stands alone. He is supported by three other Power Five conference commissioners and some of most powerful college administrators in the country.

—The 10 FBS commissioners are due to meet with the CFP Board of Managers (conference presidents) regarding expansion in September. The goal is to summarize findings after in-depth talks with athletes, coaches and administrators on their campuses. That's the next step toward finalizing a 12-team structure.

However, more than one Power Five source told CBS Sports that the September date could be pushed back because of the SEC's actions. Complicating matters is Bowlsby's assertion that ESPN conspired with Texas, Oklahoma and the American Athletic Conference to take down his conference in realignment.

—"It just feels uneasy relative to the 12 [teams]," Kliavkoff told CBS Sports. "I'm assuming my colleagues, nationally, this is a reason to pause on the 12. We need to pause."

—Kliavkoff brought up the fact that only two of the Power Five conferences (SEC, Big 12) were involved in shaping the expansion process over a two-year period.

“That's unfortunate," Kliavkoff told CBS Sports. "Remember: The commissioners of the Big Ten, Pac-12 and ACC weren't in the room."

Nick Danger

Latest from Dodd on the CFP … with some quotes from Kliavkoff …

—"It's certainly going to be readdressed," George Kliavkoff, who took over as Pac-12 commissioner earlier this year, told CBS Sports. "Remember that was a two-year process done by four people. The proposal is good, but it's not done. We've mis-set fans' expectations that it's going to move on a very fast timeline."

—In devastating the Big 12 to the point it has lost 50% to 75% of its value, the SEC enhanced its power, leverage and earning potential to the point some college leaders fear the conference could earn six of the 12 available playoff spots in the proposed expansion.

"With 12 teams, we could just be watching a lot of SEC teams in the 12-team playoff," a highly-placed Power Five source told CBS Sports.

One Power Five AD added: "Why on God's green Earth would the Pac-12 and Big Ten hand over these [playoff] rights, which only strengthens the SEC?"

A second Power Five AD agreed: "I don't care if there are 10 SEC teams in; we just can't make that a bonanza [every] year for them. You can't strangle everybody else financially."

—Kliavkoff being a rookie in his job does not mean his voice stands alone. He is supported by three other Power Five conference commissioners and some of most powerful college administrators in the country.

—The 10 FBS commissioners are due to meet with the CFP Board of Managers (conference presidents) regarding expansion in September. The goal is to summarize findings after in-depth talks with athletes, coaches and administrators on their campuses. That's the next step toward finalizing a 12-team structure.

However, more than one Power Five source told CBS Sports that the September date could be pushed back because of the SEC's actions. Complicating matters is Bowlsby's assertion that ESPN conspired with Texas, Oklahoma and the American Athletic Conference to take down his conference in realignment.

—"It just feels uneasy relative to the 12 [teams]," Kliavkoff told CBS Sports. "I'm assuming my colleagues, nationally, this is a reason to pause on the 12. We need to pause."

—Kliavkoff brought up the fact that only two of the Power Five conferences (SEC, Big 12) were involved in shaping the expansion process over a two-year period.

“That's unfortunate," Kliavkoff told CBS Sports. "Remember: The commissioners of the Big Ten, Pac-12 and ACC weren't in the room."

Essentially starting over sounds like a pretty good idea. But since they don't want to use the obvious fix of limiting the number of slots awarded to any one conference, I'm not sure what solution they can come up with to keep the SEC from pulling a fast one!

Last edited:

Brevity Frog

Sankey is persona non grata at this point. From the article:

—-
With Sankey as one of the leading voices in the room, the appearance of a conflict of interest has led some to suggest he should have recused himself from the process.

"No," Sankey said, denying such an assertion. "There's a lot of checks and balances in the system. Things happened rapidly in the last eight days."

And

"The Pac-12 doesn't get in the playoff very often in the current format," Sankey told CBS Spots. "I think we all felt a responsibility to look at different models to provide access.

"If somebody wants to suggest this was motivated by some self interest, they're missing a big picture. Why would I support any automatic conference access? Why would I have said pretty openly we shouldn't leave the West Coast part of the country out of the playoff?"

———

Geez. Funny thing about traitors and charlatans: the people you screw over hate you and the people you work for don’t respect you.

punter9

Honestly I hope so much noise is made that the sec is forced to play their hand (go outside the ncaa) fast. They are trying to financially strangle everyone and it’s going to work.

imagine what the rest of us look like after a few years of nil and transfer portal with no salary caps

having said that they will mess this greedy system up and there has always been a market for football where you trade a scholarship for the work you put in on the field. Eventually money will ruin this for even the haves if they’re allowed to keep pecking at each other.

Bizarro Frog

If we are stuck in the BIG 12 we need the playoff to expand to at least 6 or 8. If they decide to stay at 4 they will lock us out and call us a Group of 6 conference. Under stress most people focus on the wrong possible outcome and make bad decisions or deals accordingly. The PAC 12 needs to be proactive.

upload_2021-7-30_8-28-44.jpeg

punter9

looking in our collective mirror as the remaining eight. Texas and Ou are making smart moves and did deserve a larger share of the tv revenue as long as we could manage it in a way to keep parity on the field. I mean yea take the even split, great deal for us, but ultimately businesses make business decisions and we needed to focus on keeping on the field parity to retain our long term value. Not making an even share with schools that bring in a billion more dollars than us

cheese83

They’re literally killing off college football with this [ Finebaum ]. I really don’t understand how the people in these large companies and conferences are just sitting around letting all this [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] happen. Do they not understand anyone outside of the SEC hates them? Bama’s dominance has really propped up a lot of mediocre schools into thinking they’re minor league NFL teams. Now they want to run everything with state schools from some of the poorest states in the country?

Hemingway

Has the Big 12 revoked the horns down rule yet?

f that. It’s time to get serious. No holding calls , no chop block calls, you can do whatever you want against them now.
VQJpUj9mL15aC4Fa7

Wexahu

looking in our collective mirror as the remaining eight. Texas and Ou are making smart moves and did deserve a larger share of the tv revenue as long as we could manage it in a way to keep parity on the field. I mean yea take the even split, great deal for us, but ultimately businesses make business decisions and we needed to focus on keeping on the field parity to retain our long term value. Not making an even share with schools that bring in a billion more dollars than us

Correct me if I'm wrong, but for some reason Michigan and Ohio State have no problem sharing revenue equally with their conference mates. That, as much as anything, is why the Big 10 has stayed strong, they don't have their blue-blood teams pulling power plays on all the other lesser members. They get how it has to work in a team sports league for it to succeed and be stable.

Texas clearly never understood this, that's why the Big 12, both pre and post-2012, failed.

Froggish

A super league may well be coming but a group of "haves" without "have nots" to flex on only has so much interest. Eventually all the excessive cost and lawlessness that will be birthed out of it will causes implosion. The cost around a league like that will bloat to the point where I highly doubt it would be sustainable for long. I love football and I watch a ton of it but I can't imagine watching a league that has no connection to the rest of the sport. I'm not even an NFL fan these days but if I want to watch professionals I'd rather watch the elite ones that play on Sundays. Not 19 year olds on Sats.

Step 1: Dissolve NCAA so zero regulation can be injected
Step 2: Form Super League with 24 teams
Step 3: Expand Roster limits to 100
Step 4: School can no longer afford cost for tuition so lets make them paid employees. I mean it's cheaper to pay them direct than to pay cost of tuition..And we need them all football all the time.
Step 5: Oh no..We've now created a true pro league..Player UNION!/ OH [ Finebaum ]...TITLE 9 F*(&(!!!
Step 6: Non competitive programs break off team from university then quickly put it up for sale because not enough of the TV money is trickling down to the actual school.
Step 7: There's really only 8 schools that can afford to play this way
Step 8: NFL Says "F" you Super League..you've gotten way out of your lane. We will squash you.
Step 9: Now a whole [ Finebaum ] load of 19 years old have zero money and no education...

Stupidity

Last edited:

Wexahu

A super league may well be coming but a group of "haves" without "have nots" to flex on only has so much interest. Eventually all the excessive cost and lawlessness that will be birthed out of it will causes implosion. The cost around a league like that will bloat to the point where I highly doubt it would be sustainable for long. I love football and I watch a ton of it but I can't imagine watching a league that has no connection to the rest of the sport. I'm not even an NFL fan these days but if I want to watch professionals I'd rather watch the elite ones that play on Sundays. Not 19 year olds on Sats.

Step 1: Dissolve NCAA so zero regulation can be injected
Step 2: Form Super League with 24 teams
Step 3: Expand Roster limits to 100
Step 4: School can no longer afford cost for tuition so lets make them paid employees. I mean it's cheaper to pay them direct than to pay cost of tuition..And we need them all football all the time.
Step 5: Oh no..We've now created a true pro league..Player UNION!/ OH [ #2020 ]...TITLE 9 F*(&(!!!
Step 6: Non competitive programs break off team from university then quickly put it up for sale because not enough of the TV money is trickling down to the actual school.
Step 7: There's really only 8 schools that can afford to play this way
Step 8: NFL Says "F" you Super League..you've gotten way out of your lane. We will squash you.
Step 9: Now a whole [ #2020 ] load of 19 years old have zero money and no education...

Stupidity

I can't imagine being interested in a minor league pro sports league, regardless of whether or not they are wearing jerseys of familiar colleges that are sponsoring them. It's not going to be compelling. At all.

CountryFrog

I can't imagine being interested in a minor league pro sports league, regardless of whether or not they are wearing jerseys of familiar colleges that are sponsoring them. It's not going to be compelling. At all.
If we've learned anything from the XFL and whatever that other league was that folded within a year because it couldn't pay the players its that people love watching minor league football.