• The KillerFrogs

2021 MLB Thread

Eight

curious what the breakdown of trades that favor the team that dealt the established star for prospects compared to the trade the worked in the favor of the teams that acquired the prospects

in a deal like the cubs picking up chapman from the yankees they had to know he was merely a rental, but they won the series they were desperate to win. the part of that trade that i think bit them in the arse was sending torres and then russell melting down

heard a guy on the radio in the houston area talk about the 3 trades the astros made to acquire pitching in their recent stretch of success. if you go by those that rate the minor league systems the astros pretty much depleted their minor league system of top prospects to acquire verlander, cole, and greinke.

thing is they have been able to hold onto their top prospect in tucker and really haven't given up much in terms of mlb talent

they got verlander who helped bring a world series title and they gave up daz cameron, franklin perez, and jake rogers so that was a win for the astros.

they got gerritt cole who helped get them back to the world series (scheiss you aj for leaving cole in the bull pen and bringing in dead arm will harris) and the pirates got joe musgrove, colin morgan, michael feliz, and jason martin so that was a win for the astros.

they got zach greinke and half the money owed in his future salary and zach not only helped them get back to the world series but pitched his arse off in game 7 until aj scheissed up and left cole in the bull pen for dead arm will harris and the diamondbacks got corbin marting, jb bukauskas, seth beer, and josh rojas which i think is an astros win based upon where greinke helped get them and his being 21-7 for the astros in not yet 3 seasons and az has 2 bullpen guys and a middle infielder who might be a utility guy for houston

anyone seen a more indepth breakdown on this type of thing?

FBallFan123

curious what the breakdown of trades that favor the team that dealt the established star for prospects compared to the trade the worked in the favor of the teams that acquired the prospects

in a deal like the cubs picking up chapman from the yankees they had to know he was merely a rental, but they won the series they were desperate to win. the part of that trade that i think bit them in the arse was sending torres and then russell melting down

heard a guy on the radio in the houston area talk about the 3 trades the astros made to acquire pitching in their recent stretch of success. if you go by those that rate the minor league systems the astros pretty much depleted their minor league system of top prospects to acquire verlander, cole, and greinke.

thing is they have been able to hold onto their top prospect in tucker and really haven't given up much in terms of mlb talent

they got verlander who helped bring a world series title and they gave up daz cameron, franklin perez, and jake rogers so that was a win for the astros.

they got gerritt cole who helped get them back to the world series (scheiss you aj for leaving cole in the bull pen and bringing in dead arm will harris) and the pirates got joe musgrove, colin morgan, michael feliz, and jason martin so that was a win for the astros.

they got zach greinke and half the money owed in his future salary and zach not only helped them get back to the world series but pitched his arse off in game 7 until aj scheissed up and left cole in the bull pen for dead arm will harris and the diamondbacks got corbin marting, jb bukauskas, seth beer, and josh rojas which i think is an astros win based upon where greinke helped get them and his being 21-7 for the astros in not yet 3 seasons and az has 2 bullpen guys and a middle infielder who might be a utility guy for houston

anyone seen a more indepth breakdown on this type of thing?

Speaking of the Pirates and trade returns … there’s probably no better example in recent years of how NOT to do prospect trades than the Pirates.

They got so little back in the Gerrit Cole deal … and then gave up the farm for Chris Archer.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Heh. "Dead-Arm Will Harris"... I'm still pissed at the idiot Hal Lanier for trotting Dave "I can't get a Met out!" Smith out to the mound over, and over, and over...