• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

Jared7

Well, if they do that, they'll just owe more. Right now, they owe about $160 million each (4 years worth of distribution revenues of about $40 million per year). If they break the GOR, they will owe the first $40 million plus 3 years worth of SEC TV money (currently estimated at $65 million per year). So $160 million, very quickly becomes $235 million. Moreover, because they breached the 12 hour notice so blatantly, they probably owe another $40 million because it was another 6 months or so. So, that'd either be $200 million each, or $275 million each.

Jared7

I’d file for an injunction prohibiting this move, if it were to happen and if I was in charge ;)
Dennis Dodd needs to read the contract. The current number is at least $160 million each (not counting the blatant violation of the 12-hour notice provision). A "buyout" just increases the penalty to the amount contracted for by the new conference (SEC) - currently projected at $65 million (but probably more and maybe upwards of $90 million each). So that's at least $320 million and probably much more. $150 million from the LHN monies doesn't cover that or even close to it.

Daniel Weir

Just saw Dak on teevee. Was asked about whether OUT would be successful in the SEC. Said he didn't want to upset any Longhorns, but said SEC is hard. Second to NFL. As he was walking away he was heard to say "I just hope they don't get rid of us" (Miss. State). o_O