2021 MLB Thread

FBallFan123

Here’s where MLB Pipeline ranks the new Rangers in their top 30 rankings:

7. Josh Smith

8. Ezequiel Duran

19,. Trevor Hauver

25. Glenn Otto

FBallFan123

Rangers get NOT ONE Top 10 prospect from the Yankees and are now paying THREE players to play for the Yankees.

Jesus. You could find 3 drunks living in the tunnel system under where the Stardust used to be who could run the Rangers front office better. I thought adding Chris Young was supposed to help.

This ownership group/front office is beyond helpless. They have ruined this franchise.

I get what you’re saying … but two are now in the Rangers top 10.

So “top 10” depends on which system you’re taking about.

Last edited:

FBallFan123

I don’t always like Fangraphs prospect content … but interesting they have Ezequiel Duran 3rd in the Rangers rankings with the same FV as Leiter and Jung (50).

I don’t necessarily put that much stock in their FV designations, but interesting to note.

Here's what they say about him:

TLDR
A little second baseman with shocking power for his size, Duran will need to prove he's more than just an aggressive, one-dimensional slugger as he moves up.
Full Report
Duran bounced back after his horrendous 2018 and hit for power (.256/.329/.496) in the 2019 Penn League as a 20-year-old. He looked comfortable in a handful of 2020 big league spring training at-bats before the pandemic, then picked up at-bats in the DR during the Fall. He's a stocky guy who only really fits at second base, and isn't very good there. As he continues to age he'll likely only be able to stay there with the aid of good defensive positioning, and even then Duran's hands need to improve. But boy, does he have power. His long, slow, aggressive leg kick helps him generate big pop, and he can move the bat head around the zone. The titanic hacks he takes create some swing-and-miss but this isn't a guy with a grooved swing, and there's impact bat-to-ball/power interplay going on here. This is a site that tends to avoid prospect comps unless they're flush to the prospect's profile, and Duran's is a dead ringer for Dan Uggla's. (DR Instructional League)

FBallFan123

Just to add to that post … it’s been quoted so I won’t edit it…

But I would actually say that I don’t see it as a negative for the Rangers that they opted to pay the Yankees in order to get better prospects back.

Like if you’re going to rebuild … get the best prospect return you can.

Maybe no elite prospects came back … but with Jung, Leiter, a top pick next year and money to spend … Rangers should have some quality prospects.

Astros and Cubs had to go through a lot of bad seasons, too.

Eight

Just to add to that post … it’s been quoted so I won’t edit it…

But I would actually say that I don’t see it as a negative for the Rangers that they opted to pay the Yankees in order to get better prospects back.

Like if you’re going to rebuild … get the best prospect return you can.

Maybe no elite prospects came back … but with Jung, Leiter, a top pick next year and money to spend … Rangers should have some quality prospects.

Astros and Cubs had to go through a lot of bad seasons, too.

wait, the cubs WENT THROUGH a lot of bad seasons or are still going through

FBallFan123

wait, the cubs WENT THROUGH a lot of bad seasons or are still going through

Cubs finished 5th in the NL Central 5 straight years (2010-2014).

Two years later (2016) they won the World Series.

And Epstein had the luxury of giving out bad contracts (like 8/$184 for Jason Heyward) and trading away part of the club’s future (like Gleyber Torres to rent Aroldis Chapman).

Point being the Cubs core could’ve held together longer if they made better decisions and took a longer view …. but they were in all-or-nothing mode.

(Astros were similarly as bad between 2009-2014.)

Last edited:

Eight

And Epstein had the luxury of giving out bad contracts (like 8/$184 for Jason Heyward) and trading away part of the club’s future (like Gleyber Torres to rent Aroldis Chapman).

they went through a great deal more than those 5 bad years, was raised in a household with a cub fan as a father

Creeperfrog

Point being the Cubs core could’ve held together longer if they made better decisions and took a longer view …. but they were in all-or-nothing mode.

This is the last year for the Astros IMO, and that is said as a fan. They did pick up 2 closers from Seattle and Miami. Kinda looks like they are really pushing for this year. Carlos will prob be a yank/sock after this year

FBallFan123

they went through a great deal more than those 5 bad years, was raised in a household with a cub fan as a father

Obviously, but I’m saying … they weren’t bad for a decade.

They made the playoffs in ‘07 and ‘08.

They were terrible for a 5 year stretch, during which they drafted guys like Baez, Almora, Bryant, Schwarber, and traded guys like Ryan Dempster for Kyle Hendricks and Jeff Samardzija for Addison Russell … all guys who were on that 2016 team.

FBallFan123

Where are the Yankees getting all these prospects to make these moves?

I say the same about the Dodgers. How is their farm system not depleted by now.

Yankees sign a lot of international prospects.

Fangraphs and MLB Pipeline have very different rankings of the Yankees prospects … but both rankings are top-heavy with international signees.