• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

I will let @Gary's Shirtless Revenge take the first shot at this. He/She/It/They has more finesse than I do. (And everything he has said over the past 3+ mths has been dead-on-balls-accurate to quote Mona Lisa Vito.)

When I say he “knew,” I mean he had all the information I had x2, which included pretty loud whispers throughout the tv industry that ESPN was preparing a large move for the SEC and CFP. They effectively called TX/OU bluff on a procedural vote in April/May (can’t remember) about going into a negotiating posture, TX/OU voted no against the other 8, and at that moment he had more than enough to move.

Now, I’ll defend him a tad: He’s just the agent of the membership, has no power, and until those members turn on each other formally you can’t be their agent and turn on your clients. Still, he should have leaked it back then, because at least it would have given the league members time to build a resistance. With how it played out, we had no time.

MagicFrog

In some ways, all 8 remaining BIG12 schools should stick together. If PAC expansion is not an option, the BIG 12 needs 4 more programs - the best they can find, and continue on. WHY would the BIG12 not retain its "P5" status with additional members? I don't get that. The only good team leaving is OU. They have been dominating the conference similarly to how Clemson has been dominating the ACC. UT SUCKS. They haven't done squat since we have been there and we own their ass. I bet there are better teams from other conferences that would be more challenging than the Whorns. So why can't the BIG12 survive with the right 4 extra teams? Seems the best option to me.

I don't necessarily disagree but it won't happen. I think what happened tonight will tell us a lot over the next couple of days.

This was a busy day with some key things starting to happen that are beginning to make things appear to maybe/potentially/could be starting to take shape:

1) The Big 12 sends Cease and Desist letter to ESPN for working with a couple of conferences allegedly to break up the remainder of the Big 12.

2) We find that one of the deals that ESPN was working on was helping the AAC pick off 5 remaining Big 12 teams. How do we know? Because almost immediately after the C/D letter went out, a Manhattan KS reporter writes a scoop about it. He has all the details except which 5 schools were targeted (and his full written scoop which *had* to have been written before all the news came public because of he detail it had in it came out well before any tweets from the DMN, Chronicle

3) From reading various articles/message boards, the prevailing thought is that one of those 5 schools was KSU. The rationale is that KSU is the one who leaked the whole plan to the Big 12 office, and the thought behind that is that they do NOT want to go to the AAC (If they did, they would have most likely been quiet and let everything play out).

4) The next prevailing thought is that ESPN is doing this because they want the Big 12 to fully break up so OU and UT can move to the SEC sooner rather than later.

5) The fact that the letter refers to another conference would suggest that the other 3 schools not included in the AAC proposal would be headed to either the Pac-12 or ACC. The ACC is an ESPN conference and the Pac-12 is not. However, ESPN could still broker a deal based on new or future contracts.

6) The prevailing thought is that the 5 teams in the AAC deal would be the relative "have-nots" out of the remaining Big 12 schools, and the 3 that are NOT part of the AAC would be the "haves" that would move on to another (at least for now) P5 league.

There you have it, cobbled together with all sorts of non-facts, observations, opinions, and a handful of facts that came out of Manhattan KS. Obviously KSU doesn't like which bucket it's in and is trying to do something to avoid allowing it to happen. Once we know who their 4 stablemates are we just might have a very clear picture of where things are headed.

kaiser soze

It wasn't much of an enticement, I call tell you that...

At the end of the day, this is all posturing. What the ACC (not AAC), BIG, and PAC do will determine the Big 8's fate.
GSR-
1) Where does Notre Dame land in this and is it a 65 or 64 pool? or much lower number?
2) What are chances in your three conference predecessors that ACC loses it's bigger draws (Clemson, FSU and maybe UNC, UVA) to perhaps SEC and BIG rather than staying intact and pulling a couple from B12?

GSR-
1) Where does Notre Dame land in this and is it a 65 or 64 pool? or much lower number?
2) What are chances in your three conference predecessors that ACC loses it's bigger draws (Clemson, FSU and maybe UNC, UVA) to perhaps SEC and BIG rather than staying intact and pulling a couple from B12?

1. Hard to say, Big meeting tonight in South Bend on this topic. ESPN and the ACC would prefer ACC… if the terms are right, ND says yes, but they are hard headed. No idea on the number, I think it may not get to “64” right away as the CFP are worried about anti-competitive criticism and Congress. Gotta take small and gradual steps over time. But I could be wrong.

2. Possible and lots of chatter, SEC would love it, but the ACC TV deal is tight and long… would be hard legally. Probably save that for the next round in 2030-2035 or so.

- Nobody is bolting to the AAC until they absolutely have to. Get real.

- Of course they’ve all talked, and of course ESPN is putting $$ on the table.

- Who squealed? Literally everybody. Again, the best worst path is unity and reconstitution… everybody is bought in on that unless the ACC/BIG/PAC disrupt things.
I mean if going to the AAC is the get out of jail free card, I think you just stay in jail and try to roll doubles…

MagicFrog

Newsflash Nicole …. You’re an absolute idiot if you needed a “source” to tell you that. Everyone else figured it out on their own like 36 seconds after this all started.

Yeah but she's a good journalist. Unlike CNN she actually documents real sources to back up her "facts".

kaiser soze

1. Hard to say, Big meeting tonight in South Bend on this topic. ESPN and the ACC would prefer ACC… if the terms are right, ND says yes, but they are hard headed. No idea on the number, I think it may not get to “64” right away as the CFP are worried about anti-competitive criticism and Congress. Gotta take small and gradual steps over time. But I could be wrong.

2. Possible and lots of chatter, SEC would love it, but the ACC TV deal is tight and long… would be hard legally. Probably save that for the next round in 2030-2035 or so.

Thanks. I was thinking B1G might wind up with ND,KU,UNC and UVA in a massive reset with other notable ACCs (Clem,FSU) heading to SEC to get to 18s.
But, probably makes more sense with legal and legislative pressures to settle on 64/65 now and then do an orderly concentration down to 32-40 over your 10-20 year sequence vs ripping the bandaid off all at once.

Best case for TCU is inclusion in a pod of 4 out west and that goal to keeping the same 64/65 "in the boat" vs escalating others such as cincy, memphis, FLs and causing more teams to fall from grace.

Notre Dame and KU shoes (ACC, BIG) drop first and then rest is orderly optimizing and negotiations amongst ESPN + competing networks to manage the fees and GOR issues.