• The KillerFrogs

Olympics Thread

Bob Sugar

Out of the individual all-around as well…

Man, we've come a long way since GEN Patton...
E7Y236JXEAYc4cp

riffram2011

I don’t think we should be dogpiling on Biles…I feel sorry for her and what she’s going through. But applauding her bravery? What a soft ass country we’ve become.

my hot take is she should be applauded but for being selfless knowing that she would likely have put the team out of the medal podium had she continued. Not many elite athletes are willing to sacrifice personal pride for the betterment of the team. Some may see that as cowardly but I think there’s a lot of honor in knowing when you just don’t have it.

jake102

I don’t think we should be dogpiling on Biles…I feel sorry for her and what she’s going through. But applauding her bravery? What a soft ass country we’ve become.

Yeh, her quitting is certainly concerning, but it's her choice in a very dangerous sport. But she shouldn't be celebrated, just forgotten.

HToady

I don't know anything about gymnastics or Biles specifically, and certainly don't wish her any ill will, but this media portrayal of her as some kind of a hero is ridiculous (not that she controls that). She quit on her team when she was physically able to perform. If Tom Brady warmed up for the Super Bowl and then declined to play because he was under too much pressure, he would never live that down in a million years. What's the difference?
As Captain it's part of her job to make the call when someone can't go. That's why the have alternates. Is she hero for choosing not to go? No. Did she do her job correctly by pulling out and then cherring on the others? Yes. They're good enough to win without her.

Eight

how in the world does an official in water polo see anything to call a foul standing on the side of the pool?

if we can see shoots of swimmers during races taken from the bottom of the pool why isn't it possible to put a couple of cameras under water hooked into a monitor with a second official

Moose Stuff

Man, we've come a long way since GEN Patton...
E7Y236JXEAYc4cp

Yep. I watch sports to see athletes dominate, to see athletes push through adversity and triumph anyway, to see athletes give everything they have and maybe still fail. I do not watch sports to see athletes quit when they’re stressed out and then get celebrated for it. Maybe that makes me an [ Arschloch], I don’t really care. The two hours of the Olympics I watched last night was just pathetic and I won’t turn it back on except for a couple very specific events.

Zubaz

This forum needs a “dislike button” - a simple way to call out the bad takes without having to clutter up the thread with negative posts like I am doing now. I could not let this one go without comment, but if a “dislike button” that would have been enough.
This would be ridiculously abused so quickly from "terrible take" to "I disagree", especially for anyone that dares venture in to the Pit.
Starting to rethink this position after the last few pages...

Frog-in-law1995

my hot take is she should be applauded but for being selfless knowing that she would likely have put the team out of the medal podium had she continued. Not many elite athletes are willing to sacrifice personal pride for the betterment of the team. Some may see that as cowardly but I think there’s a lot of honor in knowing when you just don’t have it.

My understanding was that for the team finals she was not replaced, they had to use the scores from all three remaining competitors rather than the best 3 of 4. Is that not the case?

Bob Sugar

My understanding was that for the team finals she was not replaced, they had to use the scores from all three remaining competitors rather than the best 3 of 4. Is that not the case?
Sort of. Before the team finals you got to choose which 3 of 4 would compete. When she dropped out, all 3 competed in all events.

Moose Stuff