• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

Fort Frog

Another item to cover from today: The idea that the PAC 12 and BIG could "merge"

This is not a merger, from what I understand. What's being discussed is a cooperation agreement and it has 100% to do with FOX. The idea is that they will go together to FOX to bargain their upcoming deal(s), and in part introduce the idea of a flex-schedule between the league's members that creates top matchups annually like USC-Ohio State, Michigan-Stanford... The kinds of "storied" matchups that you normally only get in the Rose Bowl. Both conferences would retain their own rights, but see bumps in value from these premier matchups. Lots of leverage against FOX who, if they want to stay in CFB, has few options. What would through a wrench? BIG getting raided, or the BIG landing a premier like ND... Then I think they probably go it alone.

On the Rose Bowl, I saw it mentioned that this might be why they are forming the partnership... I don't think that's true. My knowledge of the broader new CFP discussions is that they are going to cave to the "premier bowls" and get them placed in the semis/etc. and revenue will be distributed appropriately... Outside of that, if the BIG/PAC want to have a non-playoff rose bowl, they will be able. The Rose Bowl contract is up after 2026.

All of this, the ACC and BIG/PAC news, is further bad news for the Big 8.
Keep up the good work shirtless! Your insight is helpful in understanding this mess. Good news or bad news I can handle it as long as I know it’s true.

HG73

Another item to cover from today: The idea that the PAC 12 and BIG could "merge"

This is not a merger, from what I understand. What's being discussed is a cooperation agreement and it has 100% to do with FOX. The idea is that they will go together to FOX to bargain their upcoming deal(s), and in part introduce the idea of a flex-schedule between the league's members that creates top matchups annually like USC-Ohio State, Michigan-Stanford... The kinds of "storied" matchups that you normally only get in the Rose Bowl. Both conferences would retain their own rights, but see bumps in value from these premier matchups. Lots of leverage against FOX who, if they want to stay in CFB, has few options. What would through a wrench? BIG getting raided, or the BIG landing a premier like ND... Then I think they probably go it alone.

On the Rose Bowl, I saw it mentioned that this might be why they are forming the partnership... I don't think that's true. My knowledge of the broader new CFP discussions is that they are going to cave to the "premier bowls" and get them placed in the semis/etc. and revenue will be distributed appropriately... Outside of that, if the BIG/PAC want to have a non-playoff rose bowl, they will be able. The Rose Bowl contract is up after 2026.

Thanks for your posts, your inside knowledge is invaluable for us great unwashed. :) Just a quick question: I don't know squat about ratings, but I have run the home attendance numbers for the Orphan 8, PAC & ACC. The 8 actually outdraw both the PAC & ACC for average per game attendance in 2019 (pre covid). Does that count for anything? Actual people attending actual games? Again, I don't know and I'm just asking. Thanks in advance.

TCUdirtbag

When you say “bad for the Big 8”, do you mean its continued stand-alone existence or bad for the individual members wanting to get added into other leagues?

Thanks for your posts, your inside knowledge is invaluable for us great unwashed. :) Just a quick question: I don't know squat about ratings, but I have run the home attendance numbers for the Orphan 8, PAC & ACC. The 8 actually outdraw both the PAC & ACC for average per game attendance in 2019 (pre covid). Does that count for anything? Actual people attending actual games? Again, I don't know and I'm just asking. Thanks in advance.

Yes, to a degree, but that money is owned by the institutions so the conference doesn’t really care as it doesn’t directly impact the TV money. It is an indicator of program quality at the end of the day.

TCU_91

No, got to factor in the t-shirt fans who wouldn’t pay to go but will flick on the TV to watch a random game, or their states big state school game even if they aren’t a fan or grad, etc

So how does this work for a school like Vandy?
I understand they are a "Charter Member" but they contribute very little in viewership and certainly not in athletic spending.
Do you believe they will get a pass for now because they are in the SEC bubble already?
I would be curious about Wake Forest also. If there really are this many moving parts in the sprint for the all mighty dollar how do they survive and not be cut out?

So how does this work for a school like Vandy?
I understand they are a "Charter Member" but they contribute very little in viewership and certainly not in athletic spending.
Do you believe they will get a pass for now because they are in the SEC bubble already?
I would be curious about Wake Forest also. If there really are this many moving parts in the sprint for the all mighty dollar how do they survive and not be cut out?

Great question, nobody knows… if you believe there is eventually going to be a breakaway league, then there will be “relegation” and they will be dumped. But that’ll be even harder “politically” than leaving a wounded conference ala TX/OU.

CryptoMiner

Whelp....
E7WpOH9WUAUvDlx