• The KillerFrogs

Olympics Thread

Eight

It’s interesting … but it’s also the same reason Naomi Osaka gave for why she didn’t want to all to the media for the French Open (and later withdrew from the event and Wimbledon).

Is “mental health” becoming a trend?

Osaka just lost in the 3rd round a few days after lighting the torch.

lets consider how osaka recently has spent her time

she was struggling with the pressure of answering questions about her play on clay and the spot light of the sport being on her, but she did cover shoots for si swimsuit and vogue, as well as the torch lighter for her "home" country

She will forever live in the Scottie Pippen pile in my eyes.

If you don’t want to be the ONE, then don’t step up and accept it.
This forum needs a “dislike button” - a simple way to call out the bad takes without having to clutter up the thread with negative posts like I am doing now. I could not let this one go without comment, but if a “dislike button” that would have been enough.

Last edited:

Eight

Has nothing to do with my question. How would he be treated? By fans? By media? How will Biles be treated? I bet the two answers are very different.

he would catch crap no doubt. closest i can think of this type of situation in the nba was the various days off taken by the nets big three this past year but none of those three are very likeable

still think there is something to the rumor she was effectively retired and was talked back into being the face of the us team, helping women's gymnastics move past the recent crap, as well as one final pay day from the various sponsors

Zubaz

This forum needs a simple “dislike button” - a simple way to call out the bad takes, without having to clutter up the thread with negative posts like I am doing now. I could not let this take go without comment, but if a “dislike button” that would have been enough.
This would be ridiculously abused so quickly from "terrible take" to "I disagree", especially for anyone that dares venture in to the Pit.

YA

lets consider how osaka recently has spent her time

she was struggling with the pressure of answering questions about her play on clay and the spot light of the sport being on her, but she did cover shoots for si swimsuit and vogue, as well as the torch lighter for her "home" country
Those were done BEFORE her issues came to light

Eight

Those were done BEFORE her issues came to light

she has claimed that this has been a problem since 2018, claimed she didn't like the spotlight of attention brought on by the after match press conferences, and then did magazine covers

she appears to be someone who is very good at tennis, but doesn't love it and doesn't love the things required of an elite player

nothing wrong with any of that and she would hardly be the first person to find themselves in that situation. how many people walk away from high paying jobs that they are very good at, but don't love

FBallFan123

he would catch crap no doubt. closest i can think of this type of situation in the nba was the various days off taken by the nets big three this past year but none of those three are very likeable

still think there is something to the rumor she was effectively retired and was talked back into being the face of the us team, helping women's gymnastics move past the recent crap, as well as one final pay day from the various sponsors

Good info, I hadn’t been following gymnastics and didn’t realize this talk was about there … it makes some sense.

As far as NBA “load management” … it does get a lot of criticism … but it’s regular season games - in a league where individual regular season games don’t mean as much … and it’s stated purpose is largely for “physical” not “mental” health.

Roger Federer basically used “load management” as his reason to pull out of the French Open to get ready for Wimbledon …. but that was him saying he’s “listening to his body”.

I can’t really think of an example of something like Biles or Osaka.

I know team gymnastics is a “team” event … but even team gymnastics is still an individual sport.

Maybe for a more similar example, look ar an individual sport like boxing … maybe Roberto Duran’s “No Mas” against Sugar Ray Leonard?

Very different circumstances, but it was an athlete stopping and it wasnt “health” related.

Trying to think of a team sport example … do remember Jay Cutler and even Ladanian Tomlinson as examples of NFL players getting a ton of criticism for not playing in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Frog92

It’s interesting … but it’s also the same reason Naomi Osaka gave for why she didn’t want to all to the media for the French Open (and later withdrew from the event and Wimbledon).

Is “mental health” becoming a trend?

Osaka just lost in the 3rd round a few days after lighting the torch.
It absolutely is. Difference is she plays a sport where she isn't flying 10 feet in the air. Losing your nerve or having doubt about being able to complete a skill in gymnastics can result in some pretty severe injuries.

Mean Purple

It absolutely is. Difference is she plays a sport where she isn't flying 10 feet in the air. Losing your nerve or having doubt about being able to complete a skill in gymnastics can result in some pretty severe injuries.
She also banked on this whole year coming into the Olympics. Didn't seem like there was any doubts, etc. She was not sticking her moves that great. Same in the qualification rounds.
Maybe they felt Childs would handle the other two events better during that final team round. I have a hard time thinking she has issues with pressure. The great ones thrive. I see her coming back for the all around.