• The KillerFrogs

Olympics Thread

Eight

Looks like Biles is out of team competition, mixed information as to why……poor vault and US women on the ropes!

was surprised that she decided to compete in these olympics.

daughter was "enrolled" in the same junior high as biles for a couple of years. one was there all the time and the other was always off training or competing somewhere and i guess halfway through 7th grade the decision was made to withdraw her and use the tutor/ home school route

when most of your life has been dictated for you and you start to get involved in other things it is easy to see how you lose some of that focus

Bob Sugar

Maybe so, but I doubt anyone here knows the pressure she was under. She said before the games she felt she had the world on her shoulders.
Yeah. It stinks because it will tarnish her entire career in some people's eyes, even if she gets her [ Finebaum ] together and brings home the all around gold.

Eight

curious just how much this extra year has taken a toll on some of these athletes with all the added precautions and requirements

JugbandFrog

Yeah. It stinks because it will tarnish her entire career in some people's eyes, even if she gets her [ #2020 ] together and brings home the all around gold.
She will forever live in the Scottie Pippen pile in my eyes.

If you don’t want to be the ONE, then don’t step up and accept it.

Bob Sugar

part of me suspects that she was asked to come back and be the one, to be the marketing face of the olympics for a number of reasons after she had decided to retire a year or so back
Could be something to that. No Michael Phelps or any other huge swimming names, save for Katie Ledecky. The face of the women's soccer team is Rapinoe and she is a turn-off to a chunk of our society. The US Hoops teams don't really move the needle anymore.

Bob Sugar

You're talking about the person they literally had to change the rules around so others could even hope to compete against her? And you think she's in the Pippen pile?
And even with that rule change limiting her score, and her being very sloppy the first day (stepped way off the mat in the floor, vault, and beam), she still was #1 in the all around after the first day. I agree she should have sucked it up and helped the team, but I still recognize her as the GOAT. But I also don't feel sorry for her for some of the angst she will receive from her decision to stop mid-competition when her team clearly needed her.

Frog92

My daughter is a pretty accomplished junior gymnast (actually the 2021 USA Gymnastics Texas Junior Gymnast of the Year). What these girls / women do (and the guys too) is both insanely difficult and dangerous. Lots of surgeries and broken bones and overcoming fear if you do high level gymnastics for more than five years. Simone pushes those boundaries at an extreme never seen before.

I told my wife and daughter during prelims that she didn't look right, like the pressure and buildup was too much. Which is crazy to think for someone who has done this at the highest level ever and for such an extended time, but it happens to all of them and honestly is what washes more of them out than anything else.

She is still the GOAT. I wouldn't have allowed them to actually put a freaking rhinestone goat on my leotard for US Nationals and my first thought at that was karma has a way of biting such things in the butt. And here we are.

Bob Sugar

Our of curiousity…. What happens if Lebron refuses to take the court for game 7 of the NBA Finals and cites mental stress as the reason? What is the reaction?
He would still not be as highly regarded as MJ.

c881f29c4c65e80b7466167dfe3a9812.gif

FBallFan123

Mental issues, they're saying. Weird.

It’s interesting … but it’s also the same reason Naomi Osaka gave for why she didn’t want to all to the media for the French Open (and later withdrew from the event and Wimbledon).

Is “mental health” becoming a trend?

Osaka just lost in the 3rd round a few days after lighting the torch.