• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

Virginia Frog

Don't think you realize ... TCU is the most attractive of all the schools you've mentioned ... not TT in any way shape form or fashion!
If you read the CSN Realignment Forum you'll see that most of the posters are non-TCU/Big12 people and just about everyone there believes that if any of the "leftover" B12 Texas schools has a life in a power conference, it's Tech.

Yea, these guys are just by-standers and have no say in what WILL happen post UT/OU exit but I believe they are characteristic of the more nominal FBS fans view of the march towards 64/4 conferences. It is a little bit of a "jury of opinion" which is a very utilized method by decision makers. Most believe TCU and/or Baylor will be "out" of the coming Power 64/4 structure.

Last edited:

Endless Purple

The difference between UH now and TCU before the b12 is that we were winning 10-12 games per year and were a fixture in the rankings. I can’t recall the last time UH was even ranked.
I wasn't comparing UH to TCU. No one has the resume TCU had when they got invited by the Big 12. Utah close as it gets.

Simply saying that everyone here views UH as if they were stuck in 1994. (FYI, UH fans view TCU like it was 1989) The school has a new on-campus stadium (not close to ours) but sized for the AAC and expandable for a bigger conference. They have a ton of new on campus housing (same on campus living percent as UT in Austin, not Arlington) over the past many years and have ratcheted up their academics. Plus they do get good ratings when they get a good opponent (not just because of the opponents fans watching). If your afraid they would take some TCU recruits sounds like your more afraid of competition. Plus playing in Houston would help TCU recruit Houston more.

As far as rankings - about every time someone from Baylor, A&M, or UT hire away their coach to the Big 12 (SEC? not sure Sumlin time frame).

Endless Purple

I’m a guest here so I’m not gonna fill this board with Baylor content by defending my team - I am certain nobody that loves this message board community and calls it home wants that. By “we” I simply meant *both* schools - yours and mine. I do believe that our respective schools are best viewed as partners that, together, deliver Texas and the CST to other conferences in a way that we don’t on our own.

Fair enough. Luckily neither you or I are in decision making positions (at least I know I am not) so we get to have fun discussions around virtual water coolers. It is what rivalries are about, what few are left.

Should we be worried that nobody from TCU was involved in this?

Oh my, I suspect the only reason Texas and Oklahoma even tease with listening is if something falls apart on the SEC side. Only upside for them. Everybody senses that, but meanwhile the Big 12 likely concedes the higher revenue share distribution. Probably a bad precedent which other smaller P5 schools will not appreciate.

Last edited:

Moose Stuff

If you read the CSN Realignment Forum you'll see that most of the posters are non-TCU/Big12 people and just about everyone there believes that if any of the "leftover" B12 Texas schools has a life in a power conference, it's Tech.

Yea, these guys are just by-standers and have no say in what WILL happen post UT/OU exit but I believe they are characteristic of the more nominal FBS fans view of the march towards 64/4 conferences. It is a little bit of a "jury of opinion" which is a very utilized method by decision makers. Most believe TCU and/or Baylor will be "out" of the coming Power 64/4 structure.

Well I guess we’re screwed if they let fans decide where we end up.

LVH

I wasn't comparing UH to TCU. No one has the resume TCU had when they got invited by the Big 12. Utah close as it gets.

Simply saying that everyone here views UH as if they were stuck in 1994. (FYI, UH fans view TCU like it was 1989) The school has a new on-campus stadium (not close to ours) but sized for the AAC and expandable for a bigger conference. They have a ton of new on campus housing (same on campus living percent as UT in Austin, not Arlington) over the past many years and have ratcheted up their academics. Plus they do get good ratings when they get a good opponent (not just because of the opponents fans watching). If your afraid they would take some TCU recruits sounds like your more afraid of competition. Plus playing in Houston would help TCU recruit Houston more.

As far as rankings - about every time someone from Baylor, A&M, or UT hire away their coach to the Big 12 (SEC? not sure Sumlin time frame).

They pop good ratings when playing a good opponent because those games are played on days other than Saturday.

2 years ago they played Oklahoma on a Sunday and Washington State on a Friday. It's easy to pop a big rating when you're the only game on.

Real Frog

Could blocked/happen to UT if the info is correct and the cartel stands. OU has the easier path to the SEC.
Texas can never be trusted that is why every school has left the conference the first chance they get, and the SEC is next. Texas doesn't have any intention of going to the SEC. They have always believed and always will that they are a far superior institution to what they see as a bunch of rednecks. OU will go to the SEC and the benefactor will be OSU getting the invite to bring the conference to 16. Texas will go Independent to keep the LHN, or leverage the SEC bid to get the best offer from the Big 10/Pac 12. Texas doesn't fit in the SEC. They would lose their identity in that conference, and that's all they have.

Showtime Joe 2.0

It does not.

Nick Sabin could come out tomorrow and say adding OU and Texas to the SEC was criminally stupid and he was ardently against it and it wouldn’t mean a damn thing.

Schools pay coaches for wins, not opinions.
I agree but I'm not so sure Patterson would relish having his star defensive players getting cut-blocked for one, two, or potentially three games in a given season by the academies anyway. I hate playing academy teams for that reason alone.

Plus, we'd have to listen to Patterson complain every year about how much time he's having to spend in Spring and Summer camps just getting his team ready to defend the vaunted option attack.

Patriotism aside, thanks but no thanks to being in a league with any of the academies. Nobody ever gets any credit for beating them anyway.