• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

TCUdirtbag

Honest question - How were we able to compete, go undefeated and beat almost everyone we played with a very small amount of conference money but in the future we can’t’? I admit I don’t understand the finances involved but TCU has a lot of freaking money and wealthy alumni.

Quite simply:

Before we had a $$ gap.
If we get relegated out of the P4, we will have a $$$$$$$$$ gap.

Athletics payrolls have grown exponentially.
Scholarships are more expensive to cover because tuition is higher.
Full cost of attendance.
Educational benefits (Alston).
No P4/P5, less NIL incentive (a far smaller problem than the above).

All these costs with a fraction of the money while the SEC may haul in $70 M+ / yr / school.

The gap is too wide.

Moose Stuff

I just had this conversation. The reason people still watch Clemson/Alabama/OSU/OU in the playoffs every year is because there still exists (however slight) a connection between those schools and YOUR team. If they create a super league that gets rid of the bottom feeders, the fans of the bottom feeders will no longer maintain any interest in the super league schools. I am all for everyone seeking the most dollars possible for their interests, but I think it's being extremely short-sighted if they think they can cut the pie fewer ways without dramatically shrinking the eventual size of the pie. Perhaps they get one good TV deal out of it, but the next TV deal would be non-existent after the whole thing flops.

I couldn’t agree more. I used to watch the hell out of mid major games when I thought it impacted us. Immediately lost interest when we moved to the Big 12. The same will happen here. Hell I barely watch the national title game as it is.

Last edited:
Quite simply:

Before we had a $$ gap.
If we get relegated out of the P4, we will have a $$$$$$$$$ gap.

Athletics payrolls have grown exponentially.
Scholarships are more expensive to cover because tuition is higher.
Full cost of attendance.
Educational benefits (Alston).
No P4/P5, less NIL incentive (a far smaller problem than the above).

All these costs with a fraction of the money while the SEC may haul in $70 M+ / yr / school.

The gap is too wide.
Few understand this.

jake102

I couldn’t agree more. I used to watch the hell out of mid major games when I thought it impacted us. Immediately lost interest when we moved to the Big 12. The same will happen here. Hell I barely watch the national game as it is.

I'm still all in as long as there are 64+ teams as part of the main competitors. Past couple days I've seen reports that this is the start of one 32 team conference, which is just an NFL minor leagues. I'm 100% out at that point. I would never consider watching a minor league baseball or basketball game.

LisaLT

I don't know why the PAC-12 wouldn't want some or all of the remaining Big 12 members. Getting some exposure in TX is a positive thing, and our collective sports programs offer a legitimate boost to their existing members. I like it. I hope this happens, and not just for selfish reasons.

Jared7

In my view, it really isn't the P4 and 64-65 teams is not the real number anymore. The Big 10 and the SEC schools are looking to make, at a minimum, $80-90 million per year in their TV contracts (and a lot more from all the other stuff). The Pac 12 and the ACC are currently at about $30 million, and although that'll increase some, it won't approach the levels of the P2. So it's really a P2 and 30-32 teams in the upper echelon and about 27-30 in the next tier. And if the Pac and ACC don't expand, the next level (probably us) will be in the $15-20 million range. Even if the Pac expands and we somehow luck out and get in that, we're not going to be at the level of the SEC and Big 10.

Wexahu

this might sound crazy, but maybe, just maybe as others have been saying this isn't about mere conference realignment

recall ron emmert's comments about the possible future of the ncaa

recall that the ncaa has basically given up providing direction on the nil issue and the only thing they have of value that they control in the basketball tournament

this is about starting to position to a future where there is a completely different group of college teams from everyone else. remember who some of the drivers were behind the european super league idea

if you were espn and you wanted to nudge this down the road a bit then why throw a life line to a teetering conference?

i don't think espn wants the expanded play offs as it continues to devalue the bowl games who guess who happens to own the broadcast rights to the majority?

scheiss texas, scheiss ou, scheiss the mouse

It's barely even college football anymore. It's becoming a semi-pro league sponsored by universities. I'm sure the academic standards of these new super leagues will be very stringent. lol.

I know, I know, it's been that way for awhile. But it's getting a lot worse.

Wexahu

In my view, it really isn't the P4 and 64-65 teams is not the real number anymore. The Big 10 and the SEC schools are looking to make, at a minimum, $80-90 million per year in their TV contracts (and a lot more from all the other stuff). The Pac 12 and the ACC are currently at about $30 million, and although that'll increase some, it won't approach the levels of the P2. So it's really a P2 and 30-32 teams in the upper echelon and about 27-30 in the next tier. And if the Pac and ACC don't expand, the next level (probably us) will be in the $15-20 million range. Even if the Pac expands and we somehow luck out and get in that, we're not going to be at the level of the SEC and Big 10.

And I don't think the UNC, USC, FSU and Clemson's of the world will just sit back and say, darn, we missed out. They'll be joining the ranks very soon. Might as well just quit calling them conferences.

Last edited:

Eight

A QB getting nearly $1 million before starting his first college game isn’t a “fundamental” change?

remember that before the nil tua's family left their home in hawaii to move to bama and magically dad had a job and they were in a home.

don't know what it costs a family to move that far nor the price of the housing market in bama, but i am sure it wasn't cheap

LisaLT

I can't imagine how the PAC and ACC won't expand after this deal goes through. How can they let one conference dominate like that without doing anything.

FBallFan123

remember that before the nil tua's family left their home in hawaii to move to bama and magically dad had a job and they were in a home.

don't know what it costs a family to move that far nor the price of the housing market in bama, but i am sure it wasn't cheap

Well I had debated putting “legally” in parenthesis in my post and decided against it.

But yeah, everybody already knew the deal with college athletes getting paid.

Now that it’s out in the open and legal … it’s likely going to increase the money … perhaps exponentially.

Wexahu

If the SEC invited those schools tomorrow to join, how could they turn them down?

They won't turn them down. The Big 10 and SEC will just cull the other leagues of their most valuable programs and do another "realignment". I think we need to forget that it's the "Big 10" and the "SEC", it really doesn't matter at this point, the have's are making their separation from the have-nots.