• AAC/Mountain West/Conference USA

Votes: 64 27.7%
  • Independent

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

Eight

They did 10 years ago.

maybe the next group of football and basketball coaches

dirtbag raised a really good issue in that it could get really interesting in making the decisions that will need to be made if the frogs are faced with a significant reduction in revenue

only so many sports you can cut and even if you do something like drop men's swimming/diving how much money do we actually save?

Bob Sugar

Added just for you.

I imagine our season ticket prices should drop abit now.
ColdSparseAmericanbittern-max-1mb.gif

mwe2187

Where do I want to end up if this goes down? Pac 12. New teams, new opponents. Assuming that some of our b12 friends come along we'll have some rivalries still.

Realistically, unless something changes. I don't see Pac12 coming for TCU. Maybe they get OSU and Tech. I'm going to bet we end up in the American.

I don't want the big 12 to survive at this point. Best case is that Baylor, TCU, OSU, Tech go into the American. it becomes the P5, and whatever. we play football and hopefully win.

Last edited:

froginmn

Where do I want to end up if this goes down? Pac 12. New teams, new opponents. Assuming that some of our b12 friends come along we'll have some rivalries still.

Realistically, unless something changes. I don't see Pac12 coming for TCU. Maybe they get OSU and Tech. I'm going to met we end up in the American.

I don't want the big 12 to survive at this point. Best case is that Baylor, TCU, OSU, Tech go into the American. it becomes the P5, and whatever. we play football and hopefully win.
Odd best case.

HG73

PAC does not want TT, OSU, KSU, and WV academically. They don't want Kansas and baylor for obvious reasons, and not just because they are going on probation. We are the best fit for them if they want in the Central Time Zone. Or they can die a slow agonizing death in the dark.

Kinda like when we got into the Big12, we were the best available.

asleep003

Most probably end up at the P12 ... but it would behoove the ACC to pickup us and OSU/or ISU to strengthen their league against the 2 giants. Better $s for us over P12 and into the future.

asleep003

PAC does not want TT, OSU, KSU, and WV academically. They don't want Kansas and baylor for obvious reasons, and not just because they are going on probation. We are the best fit for them if they want in the Central Time Zone. Or they can die a slow agonizing death in the dark.

Kinda like when we got into the Big12, we were the best available.
So ISU and TCU... huh ! I can see that.

flyfishingfrog

More likely the B1G and the SEC carve up the other three conferences for the teams they want and form a couple of 18 team conferences with 2 or 3 divisions and become the college equivalent of the NFC/AFC….and pat the rest of us on the head and say good luck

that way they can expand the playoff for “themselves” to 8 teams and keep all the money - which is more than sharing 12

Virginia Frog

More likely the B1G and the SEC carve up the other three conferences for the teams they want and form a couple of 18 team conferences with 2 or 3 divisions and become the college equivalent of the NFC/AFC….and pat the rest of us on the head and say good luck

that way they can expand the playoff for “themselves” to 8 teams and keep all the money - which is more than sharing 12
That is the perfect scenario for the Big and SEC. But that won't be this go-round.

This realignment could go as follows:

I believe it is likely that the PAC-12 will be very slow to expand since there are no sensible geographic fits with the B12 "leftover" eight. The PAC12 will at first play defense to blunt any try for the B12 to grab the Mountain Time Zone teams: CO, UT AZ and ASU.

There may be some movement by the BiG to "keep up" with the SEC at 16 but their options are Kansas and nothing else - sorry WVU. They very well could go for another contiguous option and pull UVA. Missou isn't going to leave the mega bucks of the SEC to join a conference that they should be in! I don't see the BiG going into Texas/Oklahoma with the available schools.

The ACC is relatively safe at 14+ND 5 games per year. Maybe/long shot WVU could be a "shotgun marriage" (they did let in Louisville.) ND will not cave and join football full-time with the ACC. This will continue to be a limitation in filling-up that conference to 16 members.

There are 65 Power teams today. 16X4 plus ND would work and nobody would be without. But it appears that in the end there could be one bridesmaid - I believe that's Iowa State.

If the non-SEC conferences are slow to add-on and want to stay status quo, The B12 expands to 12 - unlikely to get the Pac12 four schools above - and then they raid the American/Mtn West. Candidates would be from Cinci, Memphis, UCF, USF, Houston, Boise (fb only) and BYU (fb only.) - No to SMU, Tulsa, NexMex, ColSt and Wyoming. The Big 12ers will do the picking not the AAC folks.

Then the issue will be: can the B12 survive with a reasonable TV contract and Power Conference status - We can't survive the Big East-like downgrade to "Group of 5/6" and maintain our athletic budgets. Also, this downgrade would rob TCU of any hope of regular national playoffs spots (assuming 12 slots annually.)

HG73

That is the perfect scenario for the Big and SEC. But that won't be this go-round.

This realignment could go as follows:

I believe it is likely that the PAC-12 will be very slow to expand since there are no sensible geographic fits with the B12 "leftover" eight. The PAC12 will at first play defense to blunt any try for the B12 to grab the Mountain Time Zone teams: CO, UT AZ and ASU.

There may be some movement by the BiG to "keep up" with the SEC at 16 but their options are Kansas and nothing else - sorry WVU. They very well could go for another contiguous option and pull UVA. Missou isn't going to leave the mega bucks of the SEC to join a conference that they should be in! I don't see the BiG going into Texas/Oklahoma with the available schools.

The ACC is relatively safe at 14+ND 5 games per year. Maybe/long shot WVU could be a "shotgun marriage" (they did let in Louisville.) ND will not cave and join football full-time with the ACC. This will continue to be a limitation in filling-up that conference to 16 members.

There are 65 Power teams today. 16X4 plus ND would work and nobody would be without. But it appears that in the end there could be one bridesmaid - I believe that's Iowa State.

If the non-SEC conferences are slow to add-on and want to stay status quo, The B12 expands to 12 - unlikely to get the Pac12 four schools above - and then they raid the American/Mtn West. Candidates would be from Cinci, Memphis, UCF, USF, Houston, Boise (fb only) and BYU (fb only.) - No to SMU, Tulsa, NexMex, ColSt and Wyoming. The Big 12ers will do the picking not the AAC folks.

Then the issue will be: can the B12 survive with a reasonable TV contract and Power Conference status - We can't survive the Big East-like downgrade to "Group of 5/6" and maintain our athletic budgets. Also, this downgrade would rob TCU of any hope of regular national playoffs spots (assuming 12 slots annually.)
The bridesmaid won't be Iowa State, it will be Baylor.
ACC doesn't need WV they already have Pitt. WV also doesn't qualify academically.
None of the Big12 leftovers move the TV needle enough to get invited to the ACC or PAC.
PAC does need Central Time Zone teams or they will slowly die. We are their best option considering academics, location, facilities, recruiting, etc.

Last edited:

McFroggin

AAC/MWC is just a stupid answer. Big12 would poach with the bigger name and contracts.

It is more likely that A&M says scheiss money we want to make the playoffs and voluntarily leaves the SEC to rejoin Big12 than us joining the MWC again.