• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

Paul in uhh

With ND still independent in football, what is your answer if the ACC offers to take us as a football-only member, and we find a new spot for the other programs?

Virginia Frog

I bet tcu could get in the pac if it renamed itself and forced vaccinations on all attendees and staff.

Since we all agree with the vaccination part, what’s a good replacement name? Hopefully something that keeps TCU as an acronym..
"C" Possibilities for the new/more liberal TCU:

California (makes no sense but the liberals will love us.)
Cacophony (confusion - yep!)
Continental (right smack in the middle of America)
Community (make the world think we're a "community college")
Capital (CapitalOne could be a "sponsor" $$$)
Cunnilingus (our applications would go through the roof!)
Clutter (save money by not cleaning up waste on-campus)
Career (Let's become a "trade school")
Cattle (Chisholm Trail heritage)
Celebration (The nations #1 "party" school, yea!)
Century (Third Century Univ- sounds like som new cult name)
Cannabis (the pot heads would be thrilled.)
Chaos (need I say more)
Cheap (with our tuition that'd be a lie, couldn't pass truth in advertising laws)
Chew (smokeless tobacco could again be a thing)
Closeted (a safe haven for those that don't want to be "out")
Coach (we're a sports school, right?)
College (a bit redundant but there are schools that have rebranded with similar nonsensical names: like Maryland institute College of Art)
Comedy (every so many years we have to suffer through the comedy of conference realignment. Let's hope this time the joke's not on us!)
Committee (the perfect way to make bad decisions- that's how TCU works?)
Competition (we are a sports school!)
Conservative (no, stupid idea - even though most the TCU Nation is so.)

Join in please, I'm out of time today for more.

Last edited:

HToady

Texas "Country" University.
In recognition of our national stature...like Notre Dame.
or
Because our coach plays country western music
or
A veiled shoutout to the succession of our state...

punter9

money wise yes, but competitively?

curious how this also impacts this recruiting class for texas

if you are sark now and you are going to gpns to recruit denver harris how do you sell going to texas over bama or lsu if texas doesn't make a move now?

realize if you are texas and ou you don't make such a move with short term considerations, but in the end the single biggest issue texas has had recruiting is not the conference but their failure to win and put players in the nfl

to me it looks like they just effd the rest of the conference. You can go to Texas knowing you’re playing in the p4/5 no issue. They can likely pillage every single other team not named Oklahoma in the b12

Bob Sugar

fsujapo.gif

Frozen Frog

We might see schools move to the de-emphasize college athletics. This NIL stuff has made college sports one of the few sports leagues in the US without a salary cap! I wonder how many G5 schools might look at joining the FCS ranks over the FBS ranks.

The best scenario with 2 divisions likely to be at 18 schools! That creates 2 9-team divisions. The ACC would probably be the most progressive when it comes to that route.

If the Pac expands it is OSU, KU, KSU, and TT as the first 4! ISU is maybe 5, but really a tough sell. I think TCU is clearly their 6th choice. Baylor is strong no. The Pac 12 has 0 desire to deal with a school that uses religion to dictate athletic policy. SMU, UH, and Rice are above Baylor when it comes to the Pac.

The Big Ten might respond to this move by the SEC. There are 6 schools that make some sense for them (Mizzou, 'Cuse, Notre Lame, UVA, and possibly BC or UConn). Mizzou will do anything to join the Big Ten! All of the others sans BC and UConn are AAU schools. I think Notre Lame is starting to learn they may need a conference affiliation soon!

Of course Baylor is already trying to use legal and political maneuvers to keep the Big 12 intact. Some things will never change! That can't sit well with a new conference!

punter9

After digesting all of this I think we’re summarizing Tcu value as such

pro.

Very quality win/opponent except every 3rd year and leap years.
Good destination to visit from California to go to Joe t’s and drink margaritas in line for an hour while doing “cow person” things. Might even consider giving y’all saying a try

cons
Might be some of those church people who knock on my door
Every once in a while the quarterbacks do drugs, punch people, or linemen punch people for beer.

A couple notes on this article:

First, as if I need to tell you, this is 100% from the Longhorn perspective only and heavily slanted to portray things as if they are being forced into leaving. This is not true.

The facts: The Big 12's hired media consultant, BHV, conducted a study and discussed rights renewals with industry contacts. BHV indicated an early renewal (adding 5 or 10 years to the existing contract) would only net a small premium to our existing rights fees (5-10%), and that the networks weren't excited to start that negotiation because of the CFP expansion and Big 10 contract coming up.

From a numbers perspective: The Big 12 will be distributing around $42-44 million per school by the end of our existing deal, inclusive of all sources including NCAA money and CFP money. In the 5 year scenario, this would rise to maybe as much as $50 million, not including the anticipated increase in CFP money which would be another $10mm or more per school (or $60 million total distribution in 2030).

The point Brian makes in his article is that the conference asked its members to agree to a 5 year rights extension... this is not true as stated. VBo, Bowlsby, et. al put it to the Presidents and asked if there would be support in starting negotiations with ESPN and Fox on a 5 year rights extension and being proactive, despite the BHV analysis... I think you know how the tally looked. This wasn't a formal vote, more directional.

This was when it became very obvious to the rest of the Big 12 that what had been suspected was true, and over the past several months the rumors have grown. The last few weeks have been especially loud in back channels.

For comparison, the SEC (per one analysis I have seen) could be getting $70-80 million per school, with Texas and OU in the fold, by 2030. Honestly, that might be low.

Just wanted to add some factual color to this purely Orange article. Back to your day.

StealthFrog

I never wanted to admit it when he was here, but the sleeze factor with Del Conte is huge. You could practically see the s h I t oozing out of his guido loafers when he walked. He’s a used car salesman only looking out for #1. I shouldn’t be surprised by how all this is going down but I feel betrayed as he is likely driving the boat on all this.

Fort Frog

A couple notes on this article:

First, as if I need to tell you, this is 100% from the Longhorn perspective only and heavily slanted to portray things as if they are being forced into leaving. This is not true.

The facts: The Big 12's hired media consultant, BHV, conducted a study and discussed rights renewals with industry contacts. BHV indicated an early renewal (adding 5 or 10 years to the existing contract) would only net a small premium to our existing rights fees (5-10%), and that the networks weren't excited to start that negotiation because of the CFP expansion and Big 10 contract coming up.

From a numbers perspective: The Big 12 will be distributing around $42-44 million per school by the end of our existing deal, inclusive of all sources including NCAA money and CFP money. In the 5 year scenario, this would rise to maybe as much as $50 million, not including the anticipated increase in CFP money which would be another $10mm or more per school (or $60 million total distribution in 2030).

The point Brian makes in his article is that the conference asked its members to agree to a 5 year rights extension... this is not true as stated. VBo, Bowlsby, et. al put it to the Presidents and asked if there would be support in starting negotiations with ESPN and Fox on a 5 year rights extension and being proactive, despite the BHV analysis... I think you know how the tally looked. This wasn't a formal vote, more directional.

This was when it became very obvious to the rest of the Big 12 that what had been suspected was true, and over the past several months the rumors have grown. The last few weeks have been especially loud in back channels.

For comparison, the SEC (per one analysis I have seen) could be getting $70-80 million per school, with Texas and OU in the fold, by 2030. Honestly, that might be low.

Just wanted to add some factual color to this purely Orange article. Back to your day.

Gary’s shirtless I’d like to thank you for your very insightful and informative info you’ve been giving us. You seem to have inside knowledge and you sharing it is helping me understand all this. I’m 62 getting ready to retire and I will go to tcu football games as long as the good lord allows me to. I’ve been going since I was 10. Changes I’ve seen. 1-11 in 1989. To the 12-0 Rose bowl. Whatever happens I’ll be there. Best senerio I see is the conference sticking together add teams and move on. We’ll see.