• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

LisaLT

Should have put it in writing. (Though, admittedly, the SEC/OK/TX would find a way to navigate outside the four corners of such an agreement.)
I guess we will see how much weight A&M carries regarding this "gentleman's" agreement, and whether the other programs support that position.

Virginia Frog

If OU and UT leave there is no big 12 conference.
This is what us TCUers need to be concerned about.

First, if the B12 conference rebuilds to 10 or 12...will there be an effort to downgrade us like they did to the the "Big East" in 2013 to a "Group of "Six" status with no auto bid in the new 12 school playoff. Then the "Power Four" will have one more slot for their teams in the 12-team football tourney.
(If we add 4 - Mountain Time zone teams CO, UT, AZ, ASU - we'd be gold. Add "American" teams - Houston, Cinci, Memphis and Mickey Mouse U/UCF - then the Power conference downgrade is 50% or better likely, IMO.)

Second, the alternative is the dissolution of the conference creates a fight for available slots in the PAC (2-4), BIG (2) and ACC (1-2 depending on what pressure is on the Irish to go all-in). Four 16 school conferences - who will get "left out" (remember, we're still #2 smallest- in total student body (not undergrad only) in the Power conferences next to Wake - and BU will compete against us! They do have GREAT Butch Ball and that would be attractive to the liberals on the coast; D-FW is great and our biggest asset.)

Eight

after careful consideration with a couple of horns at lunch of beer and bbq i would embrace the frogs returning to a revised mwc sans byu, scheiss byu, with the frogs again being a big fish in a smaller pond if it meant

a) the ags would be forced by the sec "brethren" to deal with ou and texas coming to the sec, as someone else posted what choice do the ags have but to shut up and take it

and

b) after texas swallows its [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] about having too much academic integrity to even consider the sec and the t-shirt fans and alums beat their chests about how the horns are going to wreck shop now that all rules are gone they and the ags are mired in the middle of the sec west

Bob Sugar

All, except Baylor and probably TCU (debatable).
giphy-downsized.gif

BABYFACE

This is what I see happening. Obviously it's all about money now, nobody really seems to care about anything else. So the largest schools will ultimately peel off and form their own league. Why wouldn't they, short term that's by far the easiest route to maximizing dollars for each school.......still huge TV contracts and far fewer mouths to feed. It'll kill the sport but that will be a slow decline over time, so the move will be celebrated by all the talking heads now. But I don't think anyone is starving for another minor league professional league and that is basically what it will be.

A decent comparison I think is NASCAR. It used to be mostly a southern sport, became pretty popular in other parts of the country in the 80's and 90's with good marketing, but still for the most part kept to its roots by racing the small town tracks twice a year, etc. Then they started chasing growth and money. Built all these boring behemoth, cookie cutter tracks in major metropolitan areas, took away races from the smaller venues like Bristol, Darlington, Rockingham, Dover, etc. Lost it's soul, and now ratings are a fraction of what they used to be and it's a fringe sport at best again. Tracks 30% full. The race comes through TMS here and I barely know it happened.

Some of things I see being proposed are really short-sighted in my opinion. But again, I'm old-fashioned. Maybe the new generation will love minor league professional football.

it is because we currently live in a plug and play society. It is not going to get better pertaining to this with more and more generations being raised this way.

My college-aged kids don’t quite grasp the notion of long term ramifications pertaining to decisions. They want it now without thought to anything else.

Basically, society is screwed. Sports and pop culture are just echoing the path we have chosen.

FinanceFrog

it is because we currently live in a plug and play society. It is not going to get better pertaining to this with more and more generations being raised this way.

My college-aged kids don’t quite grasp the notion of long term ramifications pertaining to decisions. They want it now without thought to anything else.

Basically, society is screwed. Sports and pop culture are just echoing the path we have chosen.

thanks gramps.

Klaw

Serious question, if Texas and Oklahoma were to request 15% of big 12 revenue instead of 10% would the other 8 schools agree to that?

For example, if annual big 12 revenue is $400M ($40M per school), would the other schools agree to UT and OU getting $60M and everybody else getting $35M?

I know it would totally suck, but it is not a massive decrease in revenue for each school. However, it is a HUGE increase for UT and OU.

I believe the little 8 take this deal in a heartbeat compared to what it is facing now