• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

MAcFroggy

Serious question, if Texas and Oklahoma were to request 15% of big 12 revenue instead of 10% would the other 8 schools agree to that?

For example, if annual big 12 revenue is $400M ($40M per school), would the other schools agree to UT and OU getting $60M and everybody else getting $35M?

I know it would totally suck, but it is not a massive decrease in revenue for each school. However, it is a HUGE increase for UT and OU.

Your replies got me to wonder so I did a very quick search. Also going by what the face online is and not necessarily what is done hidden behind the scenes.

Baylor uses freshmen on their website. Does not have much diversity topics listed but a faith and service link.
Texas Tech uses freshmen on their website. Only saw one reference to hispanic services.
Oklahoma State uses freshmen on their website. They have many links to diversity programs like TCU. (maybe more than TCU)

Kansas, Kansas State and Iowa State also all use the term freshmen on their web sites. They all did have some form of diversity page. The Kansas one was a little longer to find. Iowa State's was pretty good.

So TCU was among the top and had the diversity on more than just one diversity section on their page, but most had some form of it listed. All sites but TCU still had freshman(men) being used up front. I did not read every page of every site.
Yah like I mentioned it will take time to universally adopt it (on literature or online as you pointed out) but all those institutions use First Year internally, or the equivalent of, or in the process of navigating that way. (All those institutions are members of TACAC, the Texas Association for College Admission Counseling, which almost unanimously agreed on the "First Year" or equivalent language.)

jake102

Serious question, if Texas and Oklahoma were to request 15% of big 12 revenue instead of 10% would the other 8 schools agree to that?

For example, if annual big 12 revenue is $400M ($40M per school), would the other schools agree to UT and OU getting $60M and everybody else getting $35M?

I know it would totally suck, but it is not a massive decrease in revenue for each school. However, it is a HUGE increase for UT and OU.

It's already been posted that the schools have at least informally voted "no" to a proposition such as that last night

MAcFroggy

It's already been posted that the schools have at least informally voted "no" to a proposition such as that last night

I know it would suck, but wouldn't that be better than the alternative? No way these schools would get that kind of money if OU and Texas were to leave.

Need to look at this logically. Don't let pride get in the way of potentially the best possible result.

Eight

scheiss no

same with any split with the pac where the west coast schools get a larger cut.

texas scheissed this conference up with that network of theirs and trying to be the biggest swinging dicks in the room during the formation of the conference

no way we are having a discussion about ou and texas leaving the big 12 if the conference still had the original members and i realize that would put tcu in some other smaller conference

worked for an agency owner who would always say that if he had to beg his biggest producer to stay there were bigger issues wrong with his agency.

Virginia Frog

Fire donati
Wasn't the rationale for giving Mr. Donati the TCU AD job (and not doing a real "national search") was that his "sponsor", Mr ChrisDC, was going to "look out" for little ole TCU in any major Conference re-arrangements (implied: that could adversely effect TCU.)

We were STUPID to believe THIS.

Now's the time Mr D to show us your magic (without Chris' help.) You've got the benefit of the doubt for now. I'll stand by...Thanks

ticketfrog123

Wasn't the rationale for giving Mr. Donati the TCU AD job (and not doing a real "national search") was that his "sponsor", Mr ChrisDC, was going to "look out" for little ole TCU in any major Conference re-arrangements (implied: that could adversely effect TCU.)

We were STUPID to believe THIS.

Now's the time Mr D to show us your magic (without Chris' help.) You've got the benefit of the doubt for now. I'll stand by...Thanks

yes on all topics

Endless Purple

Yah like I mentioned it will take time to universally adopt it (on literature or online as you pointed out) but all those institutions use First Year internally, or the equivalent of, or in the process of navigating that way. (All those institutions are members of TACAC, the Texas Association for College Admission Counseling, which almost unanimously agreed on the "First Year" or equivalent language.)
I figured, but the public appearance as it might apply to PAC expansion in the immediate future was were my curiosity lies. It is not a topic that will have a major impact on realignment, but small details can affect perceptions and perceptions can affect reality. Specifically about TCU not being eligible because "They are a christian religious school like Baylor".

Endless Purple

Had a thought reading other comments. It would be funny if this did not happen for some reason since then Aggie would hang a banner and yell and chant at the top of their lungs that they kept UT out of the SEC.

OmniscienceFrog

This is a message board where people are speculating on what is going to happen. You have no idea what is going on either? So it’s fun for you to try and make people feel stupid because you don’t agree with their ideas on something that nobody (including you) know anything about.

Seems like you may want to keep those hot tales to yourself.

I actually think the Nebraska to the Big 12 could have some legs. Nebraska has gone from a National power to a complete after thought. You think they like being completely mediocre in the big 10? If OU/UT leave, they could step in and be the blue blood/alpha male college and potentially return to prominence. That seems like that could be enticing to Nebraska. In the last 20 years they have gone from a top 5 program to a top 50 program.
Yeah, Nebraska's gonna take a likely 50+% cut in conference revenue to leave a stable conference situation to join a conference situation that is about as stable as the California coastline. Hell yeah, now that Texas will be gone I expect Nebraska and A$M both to be flying the Big 12 flag again when all this shakes out.

TCUdirtbag

Your replies got me to wonder so I did a very quick search. Also going by what the face online is and not necessarily what is done hidden behind the scenes.

Baylor uses freshmen on their website. Does not have much diversity topics listed but a faith and service link.
Texas Tech uses freshmen on their website. Only saw one reference to hispanic services.
Oklahoma State uses freshmen on their website. They have many links to diversity programs like TCU. (maybe more than TCU)

Kansas, Kansas State and Iowa State also all use the term freshmen on their web sites. They all did have some form of diversity page. The Kansas one was a little longer to find. Iowa State's was pretty good.

So TCU was among the top and had the diversity on more than just one diversity section on their page, but most had some form of it listed. All sites but TCU still had freshman(men) being used up front. I did not read every page of every site.

I was referring to diversity and inclusion initiatives more broadly. K-State just opened a Multicultural Student Center. Tech’s chief diversity officer is, structurally within the organization, a Vice President. Point being that TCU isn’t out left of some of these conservative state publics.

Using the term first year student instead of freshman isn’t getting TCU in the PAC-12. Get over the stupid word choice decision. Please for the love of god find something better to do with your time.

jack the frog

I don’t believe aggy has been particularly popular in the SEC with their weirdness and constant money flexing. I’m guessing the SEC finds a quick exception to that rule if it wrapped in a couple money makers like OU and Texas. Not like ATM could do much except cry about it.

Pharm Frog

If all this talk about UT and OU leaving the conference doesn't inspire the TCU football team to kick their asses on the field this season and until their inevitable departure, nothing will.

I think you may significantly elevate the impact of such motivation. I'm just hopeful that OU starts getting holding calls against them for this stunt. Maybe give UT and OU pitchers 10 seconds to pitch instead of 20. Turn ordinary fouls into flagrant 1's for both teams on the court,

tetonfrog

I don’t believe aggy has been particularly popular in the SEC with their weirdness and constant money flexing. I’m guessing the SEC finds a quick exception to that rule if it wrapped in a couple money makers like OU and Texas. Not like ATM could do much except cry about it.

If the aggies are looking for help from mizzou, LSU or arky, the bigger, long term? for them is will playing another road game in Texas help or hurt them in recruiting here. And is it worth it to deal with the headaches coming out of Austin in the future.

Bob Sugar

Hey, on the bright side, at least we can break this gem back out:

a8da73ee3d019b1e287e88f6b0b637ee.gif