• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

ticketfrog123

no we don't, do you have any idea what the enrollments of rutgers and maryland are compared to tcu?

please don't mention the metroplex media market. rutgers sits between the #1 and #4 markets. dfw is bigger than dc,but we don't control the dfw media market.

do you have any idea how minimal the interest is the northeast for college sports?

the top 2 college teams in the NYC market are Notre Dame and Michigan

Eight

That's my point. Rutgers doesn't move the needle. There is no increased exposure due to being in Rutgers' conference. Outside of 1-2 seasons in the early 2000's Rutgers has been one of the worst teams in FB for decades.

except that now in the media you see stories concerning the big 10 and its various programs because i would suspect in the various nyc papers, tv stations, radio, the people who cover college sports now have a specific area to cover

iowa state has shown up in the houston chronicle and on houston radio at times and i don't ever recall that much attention back in the big 8 days

another example, colorado would be mentioned from time to time when they were in the big 12, but now that they have gone to the pac i can't recall seeing or hearing anything about them

One Frog Nation

College sports inching closer and closer to pro sports with worse players. And I’m inching closer and closer having it join ranks with things that I used to care about like the Olympics, the NBA, and to some degree the NFL.
I read today that saban said that his QB will earn $1 million this year. I can see college sports going to the schools with the most alum willing to pay big bucks for the players. Where that will leave the rest of the colleges? Maybe like the Ivies

Eight

do you have any idea how minimal the interest is the northeast for college sports?

the top 2 college teams in the NYC market are Notre Dame and Michigan

so college basketball is not a big focus of attention in that part of the world?

the attention doesn't have to be at the top, but you are right, tcu would be a much bigger get than either rutgers or maryland.

especially with how the frogs dominate the metroplex coverage.

ticketfrog123

so college basketball is not a big focus of attention in that part of the world?

the attention doesn't have to be at the top, but you are right, tcu would be a much bigger get than either rutgers or maryland.

no, it’s not. Northeast media markets are dominated by professional teams

March madness is relevant for a week or two.

There’s a reason UConn wasn’t remotely considered by any of the other conferences…all about football

Wexahu

except that now in the media you see stories concerning the big 10 and its various programs because i would suspect in the various nyc papers, tv stations, radio, the people who cover college sports now have a specific area to cover

iowa state has shown up in the houston chronicle and on houston radio at times and i don't ever recall that much attention back in the big 8 days

another example, colorado would be mentioned from time to time when they were in the big 12, but now that they have gone to the pac i can't recall seeing or hearing anything about them

Yep, it's often subtle, but pulling in a market like Rutgers does for the Big 10 is definitely a benefit to those other conference schools.

Bob Sugar

We'll agree to disagree. Penn State is already close, relatively, to the NYC area and DC. OSU, Michigan and Michigan State are not much farther from the NYC area. But the nearest Big 10 school to DFW is probably Nebraska or Indiana. That's the basic difference. Regardless, I don't see TCU increasing the DFW tv market share for B10 games either. I think the tv market share argument is crap. Instead, the Big 10 added a crap team, that is a gimme win for the big name teams, but no one batted an eye because of the supposed "increased tv market share." Its the equivalent of them adding University of North Texas.

Eight

no, it’s not. Northeast media markets are dominated by professional teams

March madness is relevant for a week or two.

There’s a reason UConn wasn’t remotely considered by any of the other conferences…all about football

which is different from the metroplex how?

unless you have a large fan base or name recognition exactly how is that different?

again, we hear how rutgers barely scratches the surface so to speak, but again the question is not rutgers versus texas or ou, but tcu.

an old espn article from almost 10 years ago mentions that it was estimated that in the nyc market at that time rutgers had just over 600,000 fans based upon the work of nate silver.

lets say silver is high by 100,000 can we say that in the metroplex tcu has a big enough presence that it has 500,000 fans/ alums?

ticketfrog123

which is different from the metroplex how?

unless you have a large fan base or name recognition exactly how is that different?

again, we hear how rutgers barely scratches the surface so to speak, but again the question is not rutgers versus texas or ou, but tcu.

an old espn article from almost 10 years ago mentions that it was estimated that in the nyc market at that time rutgers had just over 600,000 fans based upon the work of nate silver.

lets say silver is high by 100,000 can we say that in the metroplex tcu has a big enough presence that it has 500,000 fans/ alums?

you’re chasing your own tail. Adding a regional team allows you to shove content in a specific region under the old cable model (and YouTube TV packages)

TCU is in some ways similar to Rutgers in that regard.

Do most people in Texas care about TCU or the P12? probably not, but for the time being it’ll be sold as entry level cable package and you’re forced to pay for it.

TCU adds the Texas market connection for P12…plus would probably be in the conference championship game frequently

if you’re Kansas state or even Kansas, you’re much more screwed because of a mediocre media market

ticketfrog123

Actually, it is Notre Dame and Penn State. Boston College and Pitt have a little interest and that's about it.

actually, it’s not. BC isn’t even the top college team for eyeballs in Boston.

hell their own fans barely care about sports and Pitt is roughly the same way.

Pitt is absolutely not a big deal in NYC markets

agree penn state is top 5 for NYC / DC (think Michigan edges them out but it’s not a big gap)

East Coast

Tier 1

College basketball has a rabid following here, but it is still a niche sport. If St. Johns ever got its basketball house in order, it would be huge huge huge in Manhattan.

Bob Sugar

Anyone wanna talk covid vaccinations?
2dff9afc4b5f7eb94bb440a7f79f846a942b6e00.gifv