• The KillerFrogs

OT: The NFL is a joke

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
If I'm in my car at noon during the week, I make sure to tune in KVET. They play the National Anthem and I sing along at the top of my lungs.

But then, as soon as it's over, I quickly change the station because they play the UT fight song. I'll be durned if I'm going to listen to that!

I don’t know that I can recall a single person I know that has sworn defend and protect and has worn uniform any branch of our military that ever complained about our flag or our national anthem. It is only insincere or irrelevant if one lets it be that way to them. One only has to consider what it stands for and what it has taken to allowed to be stilled played for the few minutes it is played before a sporting event.

Thanks for your service!

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Agree with the notion that the flag and anthem are symbols/ceremonies/rituals.

America was not created perfect, nor has it ever been perfect. This has to be the rational starting point for any discussion. If we don’t agree on this point we won’t agree on any others.

The permission and respect for dissent are written into America’s founding documents. The flag, pledge, and anthem all came later. The freedoms written into our laws of self-governance are the foundation on which this county is built. Not a piece of cloth, not a song written in 1814, not a pledge written in 1892 and revised well into the 1950s. We can have a whole other discussion about idolatry as well, but that’s a road none of us want to go down. But in criticizing others’ speech (including criticism of the country itself)—especially in relation to later-created symbols and rituals—, keep in mind that America is founded on laws. Not rituals. And consider which you are demanding more respect for.
"Discussion" eh? Oh, that just breathes condescension. I mean, what color is the sky on your planet, anyway?

Let's review: To have a "discussion" on these matters, I must first accede to all lefty/anarchist talking points and plain balderdash posited by the esteemed Howard Zinn, Ibrahim X. Kendi and Nicole Hannah-Jones. Then, and only then, can I humbly crawl forward on my knees to beg for a "discussion."

I have an answer for you: No. Go and pound sand. I don't give a parboiled crap about such a "discussion" in the least.

Feel free to expound on baseball. You are knowledgeable in that vein. In the realm of history and philosophy pertaining to America, you leave a great deal to be desired.

Showtime Joe 2.0

God bless America played at MLB games has become insincere and over played. Nothing against the song or the original sentiment for its playing in the 7th inning. The National Anthem on the other hand, never-ever gets old. I still choke up a little every time I hear it. Btw: were the Star Spangled Banner not played before ball games, how often would we really hear it played or sung?
I can only speak for myself but I have heard the National Anthem played at innumerable non-sports related events that I've attended down through the decades including religious gatherings, social events, parties, and political rallies. In fact, I can't remember a single political rally that I've ever attended (and I've been to a gazillion of them) where the Anthem wasn't played. But, then again, I'm a lifelong Republican so I really don't know what the hell Democrats do at their rallies! Although I should note that Hendrix did play the Anthem at Woodstock.

Anyway, I plan to have a live brass band play the Anthem at my wedding, which will be held as soon as I find a woman dumb enough to marry me. And, may I add, at this stage in my life, she'll also have to be rich enough to make it worth my while. So, I hope y'all will wish me luck in that endeavor!

flyfishingfrog

I don’t know that I can recall a single person I know that has sworn defend and protect and has worn uniform any branch of our military that ever complained about our flag or our national anthem. It is only insincere or irrelevant if one lets it be that way to them. One only has to consider what it stands for and what it has taken to allowed to be stilled played for the few minutes it is played before a sporting event.

Thanks for your service!
Feel like most veterans realize they served so our citizens have the right to disagree with the general premise of why they served....and also look at those that think honoring our flag or playing the National Anthem as being "past their time and no longer relevant" as people who did not give up a portion of their lives to protect the rights of others.....

It is easy to judge and make decisions from the cheap seats....

steelfrog

Tier 1
Lol. I made it thru half of page 1. I’m sure I missed 5 pages of great insight and great discussion.

And yes, the nfl is going to lose a lot of money this season. Anyone want to make a wager on that?
Umm, yes, Steel will. In fact, Steel would wager that based on contracts already in place and the salary-cap controlled budgets, that the NFL has already locked in a profit for this coming season. Probably a very handsome one.

Now, if you mean, by bad this decision the NFL won't make gazillions this season but only quintillions, then you may have a point.

steelfrog

Tier 1
"Discussion" eh? Oh, that just breathes condescension. I mean, what color is the sky on your planet, anyway?

Let's review: To have a "discussion" on these matters, I must first accede to all lefty/anarchist talking points and plain balderdash posited by the esteemed Howard Zinn, Ibrahim X. Kendi and Nicole Hannah-Jones. Then, and only then, can I humbly crawl forward on my knees to beg for a "discussion."

I have an answer for you: No. Go and pound sand. I don't give a parboiled crap about such a "discussion" in the least.

Feel free to expound on baseball. You are knowledgeable in that vein. In the realm of history and philosophy pertaining to America, you leave a great deal to be desired.
Steel will be adding "parboiled crap" to his lexicon. Parboiling is underrated, btw. Thank you Sir.

ftwfrog

Umm, yes, Steel will. In fact, Steel would wager that based on contracts already in place and the salary-cap controlled budgets, that the NFL has already locked in a profit for this coming season. Probably a very handsome one.

Now, if you mean, by bad this decision the NFL won't make gazillions this season but only quintillions, then you may have a point.
My sarcasm wasn’t obvious. The NFL is still top dog in the US and it’s not even close.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Feel like most veterans realize they served so our citizens have the right to disagree with the general premise of why they served....and also look at those that think honoring our flag or playing the National Anthem as being "past their time and no longer relevant" as people who did not give up a portion of their lives to protect the rights of others.....

It is easy to judge and make decisions from the cheap seats....

Especially during a time when The Ukraine looks like Czechoslovakia or Poland in the 30s and The Spratly Islands et al in the South China Sea resemble the Pacific also in the 30s…

ftwfrog

Some of you act like you love America!! Oh you’re going to have a brass band play The Star Spangled Banner at your wedding? You stop traffic to listen to the Pledge of Allegiance at noon every day?
Let me tell you something!

My daddy served in the army where he lost his right eye but he flew a flag out in our yard until the day that he died. He wanted my mother, my brother, my sister and me to grow up and live happy in the land of the free.

OmniscienceFrog

Some of you act like you love America!! Oh you’re going to have a brass band play The Star Spangled Banner at your wedding? You stop traffic to listen to the Pledge of Allegiance at noon every day?
Let me tell you something!

My daddy served in the army where he lost his right eye but he flew a flag out in our yard until the day that he died. He wanted my mother, my brother, my sister and me to grow up and live happy in the land of the free.
Thank you Toby.